+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Big behaviour issues since starting in home based care

Hey All,

I've got a real problem...I think. My 2 year old has just started in a day care that is home based. This is a government run concept where the Carer looks after up to max 4 children in their own home, as well as taking them to parks and play centres etc. We met the lady, who has been doing this through council for 12 years and all seemed fine. But since she began, my little girl suddenly has huge issues with going to bed in the day and at night. She used to be an absolute dream and has been going to bed with no issues for more than a year. Also she has suddenly become much more naughty and liable to hit and have tatrums. This has all been in the last 3 weeks since she started. She goes 2 days a week from about 10am til 3pm.
    Does this sound about right to those more experienced with this, or is there an issue?
    I'm really quite worried. Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

L

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Look, I don't know if this will help you or not, but our 2y.o. son has just gone through something really similar - but he doesn't go to daycare. I'm mentioning it because he's behaviour was so bizarre I went to see a child psychologist. She started heading down the "has the child been molested" line and I thought to myself - "If I had just put him into Daycare I would be crapping myself now" I am a SAHM, he is never out of my sight.

He refused to go to bed - like your child he had never been a problem at bedtime or nap time, yet he absolutely refused to go to his bedroom to sleep - but he would play in his room with no problems.

He refused to have a bath. Screamed and cried like he was terrified, but he would swim in the pool all day! He had always loved his bath and literally changed overnight.

And he also became more aggressive.

The professional advice we got was to stand our ground and not buy into all the dramas. "It's bed time" read a book, sing a song - then sit in the room not speaking until lo is asleep if necessary. We did that for about 2 weeks.

Each issue only lasted about 6 - 8 weeks.

I hope I've helped. Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    hey. thanks a lot! that is helpful. My husband and i have been trying to decide if her behaviour change is also to do with the age she is at and all the associated behavioural changes that come with being 2!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I forgot to add that the professional we spoke to said that it is very common for 2 year olds to go through sudden and drastic changes in behaviour. "almost overnight" she said. I spoke to her for a "follow up" on Monday and she said ... "with the behaviour change you'd swear they'd been molested"

I guess you have to trust your gut. If there have been no other problems with other kids in daycare and your confident about it, then your DD will be too. Just maybe helps to know that they do go through this and it's "normal"

Take care

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Is this the first time she has been in care? If so maybe it is a reaction to being separated from you.