+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default 19-20 month old speech and vocabulary?

What's your little one up to with speech and vocab?

My DD is almost 20 months and can say probably 20 or so words, but only says a few of those regularly - those she does say are perfectly clear though.

She understands countless words and instructions, so I know there is no problem with her hearing or comprehension, just seems to be taking her time with saying the words out loud.

I sometimes wonder if I'm just not understanding a lot of what she says too, because when we recently spent a week with family they pointed out a lot more words she was saying that I didn't notice

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My DS1 was only saying the same amount of words at that age and he was extremely shy to say them in front of other people. He also understood most of what we said.

He then turned 2 and all of a sudden he just had a giant burst in his vocabulary and he hasn't stopped talking since...

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 20 month old DD's vocab has absolutely exploded in the last few weeks... Probably up to 100 words now, from about 40 or so 2 months ago.

It's so incredible

Tam-I-Am is offline Winner 2009 - Most Helpful Member Award
    Winner 2007 The most helpful moderator/admin award
    2008 AWARD WINNER - The most polite member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Connor's 20 months at the end of this month, and his vocabulary is quite amazing, he has well over 100 words and quite regularly speaks in 2 and 3 word sentences at the moment.

However, another friend's 20 month-old (she's 2 days older than Connor) has about 10 words (although about another 10 - 20 signs), and seems to pick up words, say them once or twice, and then never say them again.

Both kids are clearly bright and normal

There is SO much variance in what 'normal' is and means - and how it looks. Honestly, I wouldn't worry

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD was the same at that age Bada. She understood almost everything, but only said a few words.Then she turned two and she added about 10 words a DAY. Now at 29 months I cant keep her quite.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tam-I-Am View Post
    and seems to pick up words, say them once or twice, and then never say them again.
    This is exactly what my DD has been doing for about four months!

Thanks for the reassurance everyone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    My DD's vocabulary consists of mum, dad, nana, no (although she can say it, she usually shakes her head, same goes for yes).

She has said Tash (the dog), pretty, hello, good night, bye, here, what's that, mwah (for kisses), and she is forever babbling in words I can't understand.

Sometimes she gets quite frustrated as she is pointing and babbling and I have no idea what she is saying then she gets annoyed when I don;t get what she wants.

I was a little concerned at first but I know receptive comes first and she understands a lot of what I say.

If I say do you want to play outside, she goes to the back door. If I say let's go, she gets her bag and waits at the front door. If I ask are you hungry, she will go and stand at her highchair. And many other questions/statements too.

My friend told me that one day she will wake up and I will wish she couldn't talk

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bada-bing bada-boom View Post
    This is exactly what my DD has been doing for about four months!
    Me too. My dad said she went into the kitchen when he was cooking us dinner and said what ya doing? We always say to her what ya doing???

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS has always been quite advanced with his talking but a friend of mine who's boy is 4 months older than DS was always quite far behind Aidan on the talking front but they both understood us and each other fine. Her boy talked in sentences before DS did but DS could say 100's of words but her boy said about 20-40. Now DS is talking 10+ word sentences and talks non stop. His friend is 2.5 and they're now quite similar with their talking.
    By the time they're all 4 and 5 no one will tell the difference! She sounds like she's doing great.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 20 month old doesn't say a word....he has said mum,nanna a few times, but its not an everyday thing...it concerns me.

He does understand instructions, and what we are saying, but he just doesn't speak...