+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Any advice on how to assist with milk 'letdown'?

Does anyone have some hints with how to get the 'letdown' to happen when your baby isn't around (she started child care this morning). I have been trying to express at the times that DD is due for her bottle, so I know my breasts are full - but no matter how long I pump away for I never get the letdown and as a result only get about 30ml total from both breasts. Once I get the letdown I can get about 200ml in about 5 minutes.

I know that I am becoming tense when I try to express, which doesn't help. Have tried looking at a photo of DD, massage, quiet room with no distractions.....does anyone have something that always works for them?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Have you tried using a heat pack over the breasts before expressing? I found that to be quite good for me as well as the other methods you already know of.

jackieb76 is offline "It's your choice how you live your life"
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Can I ask what sort of pump you use? I have also recently returned to work and I have an Avent Isis pump but have now discovered that I get a better letdown from hand expressing. I know that this may sound strange but I tried hand expressing many times but could not even get a drop out. Now I am a Pro because a girl from my Mum's group gave me a great explanation of how to do it. Now I get a much quicker letdown when hand expressing than I ever did while using the pump. I can also get a lot more milk out by hand. Maybe it's worth giving hand expressing a go, even if it's just to get the letdown, then finish with the pump.

One other thing that I found really helpful to get a let down in the early days was to make a conscious effort to drop your shoulders down as this makes sure that you are relaxed which I have found really important.

Good luck and well done for continuing to bf after returning to work.

Jackie
    Last edited by jackieb76; 04-08-2006 at 18:28.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I also express at work and try to make sure I have plenty of water and snack there with me. Trying to relax is very important, so you can start with some deep breathing exercises (focussing on the outbreath, to increase relaxation), and close your eyes, and visualising your child or visualising a successful expression of milk. Focus on relaxing your shoulders and using a warm flannel/heat pack can help with let down, sometimes swapping breasts can help, as you can feel let down in the other one. Good luck with it. (I use the Avent Isis pump)

Thanks
    Reviews
    i find if i drink water and eat i get a let down .. hahaha typical ay

i also surf the net, look at bub hub or read the paper, or read a bubby magazine.

i use a hand pump 0 i also massage my boob constantly when im expressing.

also if no milk is coming out, i keep on pumping and will get a letdown.

hope this helps

Good luck
    Tamz

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Drinking (not alcohol)
    warmth
    massage (not just breasts, even a nice back rub helps!)
    dimly lit room with relaxing familiar music
    breathing exercises (long deep breaths in and out, helps you relax)

Hope it works for you, the main thing I found that helps is having a drink. Hot drink works best for me! If I have a hot drink feeding Tom he has to let go! The let down is too quick and he can't keep up!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with all of the above. I have also used a hot water bottle on my back or a heated lavendar wheat bag across my shoulders and the heat made me relax immediately. I too have an Avent Isis pump. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used an electric pump and would ring my husband and we would talk about our beautiful baby boy (how he looks, how he smelt, how beautiful he was etc) and eventually AHHHHHH!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was having the same problem and the way I get a let-down now is to listen to a message on my mobile phone of my baby boy crying! It works a treat every time!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was having the same problem and the way I get a let-down now is to listen to a message on my mobile phone of my baby boy crying! It works a treat every time!
    what a great idea!!! I too was always really tense when expressing...... and would take me about 20 min - 40 min at times to get a let down!!! It's so frustrating isn't it??? Hopefully some of these ideas work for you!