+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default What are some things that you wished you knew about labour

I was just curious, what are some things you wish you know about labour?

I have heard some embarassing stories, in which women laugh about later.

One friend had a water birth, during it a midwife was scooping out her poo.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wish I had known the importance of writing a Birth Plan.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also know of a woman who had a water birth at home in a blow up pool, but it was her husband who was scooping out her poo with a tea strainer. I think I would rather have the fish net on standby rather than a kitchen utensil

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I had a water birth and remember seeing these net scoop things and wondering what they were for - luckily i didn't poo but it occurred to be later that they must be for that.
    I wish that i would have known just how much you can bleed afterwards. I mean i knew you bled but i bled heaps and wasn't expecting that (or that i would pass clots also)
    I wish i would have known my lips would get so dry during labour so i could have packed some lipbalm.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    When you see a movie or TV shoe and they are breathing really fast, That is the worst thing you can do. lol

Slow deep breaths!

When you feel like you need to do a poo, you need to push! Keiara was almost born in the toilet!

I was so sure i needed to go to the toilet i had 5 people in the room telling me I was wrong and I needed to get back on the bed and push, but I didn't listen in the end I hopped on bed and she was out 3 pushes and 10 mins later later.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    i wish i had of known that things don't always go to plan and the labor can go on and on and on and on. i thought i was going to fain when i heard my friend's labor was 6 hours long. mine ended up being 53 hours

Thanks
    Reviews
    That it doesn't always go to plan and to expect the unexpected.

Theophania is offline 'see what had happened was..there were these three ninjas and a blue monkey and well it really wasn't my fault..'
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I wish I had of known more about epidurals, it probably wouldn't have been so inviting then

I also wish I had of done research on cesareans for just in case (I ended up with one and knew nothing about them).

I also wish I had of known what a doula was because I would have had one.

Oh and I wish I had of been prepared for just how painful it was going to be lol, I don't think there is anything that can prepare you for your first labor lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wish someone had told me that while pushing, once the contractions stops and you're no longer pushing, that it is COMPLETELY NORMAL to feel the baby move back up.

I was so annoyed and disheartened while pushing DS out when I kept feeling him move back up. But I was reassured that he was making his way down and that they will always move back up to some degree, but it's normal and fine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I wish I knew I could of had an epi earlier and not have midwives tell me to wait and wait and wait in case I change my mind or something
    Ended up a very messy labour in the end.

This time I know better.

Birth Plan.
    Epidural.....Asap. Cheers...