+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default is 6 weeks too early for bub to go 8 hours..?

Ds is 6 weeks old today, and currently he has a bottle at 6.30, goes to bed at 7 and then I get him up for a feed at 10.30 (I guess it's a dreamfeed, but I get him out of the cot and change his nappy) he used to wake again at about 2.30am for another bottle, but some nights he would sleep till about 3 or 3.30.. one morning it was 4am, and even then he was only stirring, not actually crying, but I fed him anyway just in case.

At the moment I just have my alarm set to feed him at 3am, just to make sure he sleeps till 6.30.. I have been toying with the idea of seeing if he will sleep till 6.30 without that 3am feed.. since I have to wake him up for it most nights now. But I don't want him to wake up at like 5am, and waking dd up too (her room is right next to ours) 8 hours also seems like a huge stretch for an 6 week old bub to go without a feed during the night...

hmm what to do?

Theophania is offline 'see what had happened was..there were these three ninjas and a blue monkey and well it really wasn't my fault..'
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DS decided to skip his 2am feed at 5 weeks. I was scared to check his bassinet when I woke up and it was daylight I think if bubs is happy to sleep through then I would let him, they are pretty good with their 'built in' feed timer and I am sure they will always wake up when they are hungry.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    When DD was about 3 weeks she started going 6 hours and then one night I was so tired so instead of feeding her I put her dummy in and she slept for anther 3 hours. She is now 13 weeks but was 5 weeks early and goes between 8-12 hours without a feed overnight.
    AS long as they are gaining weight they can go a whole night. BTW she does stir a bit early some mornings so I either feed her even though getting up time is only an hour away, but I always try the dummy first. Obviously if she is hungry she won't be satisfied with the dummy and will cry until she is fed but no harm trying.
    Try it for 1 night just to see what happens.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I did the 3am feed for a few weeks or a month.

i would feed Keiara around 6-7 then she would go to bed then she would get a dream feed if it was due after 10:30 (didn't happen much) she never got it and she never woke for it.
    Then she would wake around 6:6:30am for her morning feed.

She gained weight as she was meant to. Babies would wake for the feed if they were hungry.

So if your bub is happy to sleep I would let them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UsThreeGirls View Post
    When DD was about 3 weeks she started going 6 hours and then one night I was so tired so instead of feeding her I put her dummy in and she slept for anther 3 hours. She is now 13 weeks but was 5 weeks early and goes between 8-12 hours without a feed overnight.
    AS long as they are gaining weight they can go a whole night. BTW she does stir a bit early some mornings so I either feed her even though getting up time is only an hour away, but I always try the dummy first. Obviously if she is hungry she won't be satisfied with the dummy and will cry until she is fed but no harm trying.
    Try it for 1 night just to see what happens.
    ds was 2 weeks late, and has always been very 'advanced' compared to dd (he was smiling at 3 weeks, proper smiles, not wind) he has amazing head and neck control.. so I guess he could probably easily go that 8 hours, I'll just give the resettling a try then I think..

I bet I won't be able to sleep though, I'll be expecting him to wake up too much to sleep lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS would do 10pm to 5am from about 7weeks, as theophania said, it scared the crap out of me the first time. I agree that they set their own timers, if he's bright, alert, has wet + dirty nappies try letting him drop that feed. I hear you on the 5am starts though, DS was a 5pm to 5am man till he was 10months old and then thankfully changed to 7-7. Good luck with whatever you decide.

dillydAlly is offline --> The most precious princess in all the land :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    DD I wouldn't worry. DD sleeps through the night and has done since before Christmas. Most of the time she goes 12 hours at night!

Thanks
    Reviews
    LOL even though DD2 sleeps so well, pity DD 1 at 21 months still wakes a dozen times a night.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by UsThreeGirls View Post
    LOL even though DD2 sleeps so well, pity DD 1 at 21 months still wakes a dozen times a night.
    aw damn that sucks, at least your second bub is being kind to you lol, it would be even harder if bub was waking up as well

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dd slept through from 6weeks. Stopped doing it at 3 months though.