+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 152
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,248
    Thanks
    489
    Thanked
    1,263
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by golux View Post
    Chantelle, I believe that the big expensive text that is the Aus and NZ standard is 'Midwifery, Preparation for Practice' 2nd ed. but I would check with the uni faculty before shelling out.
    Best textbook ever!!! Absolutely 100% purchase this one. Look at book depository its about 30-50% cheaper than the uni bookstore.

    Quote Originally Posted by golux View Post
    HELP PLEASE: I'm hoping to get in to Midwifery at UTS in 2014 and I'm freaking out because I haven't received an offer yet. I got my application in in time for offers coming out today (http://www.uac.edu.au/undergraduate/offers/) so I'm just wondering if there are any others who have got their offers. If other people have got their offers then I need to get mentally prepared for not getting in.
    Main round of offers when all applicants are considered isn't until the 16th of January. I wouldn't be expecting to receive an offer until then, so stop stressing.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to wannawannabe For This Useful Post:

    golux  (03-01-2014)

  3. #62
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    9
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked
    0
    Reviews
    0
    Thanks! So hard to stay calm when I don't know what I'm going to be doing this year!

  4. #63
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,393
    Thanks
    815
    Thanked
    688
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Does anyone know if any unis are offering B Midwifery externally? The only uni near me offering the course is Newcastle but they only do it full time and I don't think that will be practical with a 6mo. UTS does part time but that would probably also be impractical as it would take me a lot longer to get there plus I assume placements are all going to be in Sydney hospitals which would also be hard to get to.
    I know UniSA does external but apparently you still have to live local...

  5. #64
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,248
    Thanks
    489
    Thanked
    1,263
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DarcyJ View Post
    Does anyone know if any unis are offering B Midwifery externally? The only uni near me offering the course is Newcastle but they only do it full time and I don't think that will be practical with a 6mo. UTS does part time but that would probably also be impractical as it would take me a lot longer to get there plus I assume placements are all going to be in Sydney hospitals which would also be hard to get to.
    I know UniSA does external but apparently you still have to live local...
    It's a very hands on and practical course. When I studied, we had one day of lectures (which were delivered online), 3 days of clinical placement and 1 day of practical teaching at the uni (learning and practicing all our skills). It would have been impossible to do externally.

    Griffith University in Brisbane lets you do your placements at hospitals outside Brisbane, but you still need to attend campus for a 2 week intensive program each semester and it's all dependant on the hospital as to whether or not they'll let you do placement there.

    The opportunity to study will always be there, so why not hold off a couple of years until your little one is a bit older and be able to do the full-time program close to home.
    Last edited by wannawannabe; 04-01-2014 at 08:15.

  6. #65
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    2080
    Posts
    760
    Thanks
    153
    Thanked
    155
    Reviews
    7
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    following this thread - i posted on this in 2011 and i missed the boat interms of applying for Direct Entry BMid this year at UTS - Keen to hear of anyone in here who is studying or has been accepted into UTS for this course. I am 36 and have 2 Diplomas so not sure if i need to sit a stat or just apply with cover letter etc.... Any experiences would be appreciated

  7. #66
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0
    Reviews
    0
    Hi, I am old (45) lol. I have a diploma applied science (nursing) and graduated as an RN in 1989. I did some post registration time too, then went to work in welfare. I have not nursed since 1990s and have not been registered since mid 2000s. I guess what I am wondering is, if I wanted to do middy - do I just start from scratch again or is there some recognition of my diploma?. As I am also unregistered, I think I can only register as a non practising nurse. I would be looking at Newcastle and not sure about how anything works these days lol

  8. #67
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,248
    Thanks
    489
    Thanked
    1,263
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joki69 View Post
    Hi, I am old (45) lol. I have a diploma applied science (nursing) and graduated as an RN in 1989. I did some post registration time too, then went to work in welfare. I have not nursed since 1990s and have not been registered since mid 2000s. I guess what I am wondering is, if I wanted to do middy - do I just start from scratch again or is there some recognition of my diploma?. As I am also unregistered, I think I can only register as a non practising nurse. I would be looking at Newcastle and not sure about how anything works these days lol
    start from scratch. You can only have 5 years of non-practicing time.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to wannawannabe For This Useful Post:

    crunchie  (03-03-2014)

  10. #68
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    200
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked
    59
    Reviews
    0
    Crunchie- I just emailed SATAC (SA) this question yesterday. They suggested that with midwifery being so competitive you are best to do the stat as well so you have two pathways in as it will increase your chances of acceptance :-)

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Hope2487 For This Useful Post:

    crunchie  (03-03-2014)

  12. #69
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by crunchie View Post
    following this thread - i posted on this in 2011 and i missed the boat interms of applying for Direct Entry BMid this year at UTS - Keen to hear of anyone in here who is studying or has been accepted into UTS for this course. I am 36 and have 2 Diplomas so not sure if i need to sit a stat or just apply with cover letter etc.... Any experiences would be appreciated
    Hi Crunchie,

    just wondering if you ended up being accepted into the UTS course? Your circumstances sound very familiar to mine, so I'd love to hear how you went,

    thanks!

  13. #70
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0
    Reviews
    0

    Default Uc prep

    Rhiannon,

    I did exactly what you did. You'll need to score quiet highly in your UC prep course, as it is extremely competitive to get into B Midwifery. Once you're enrolled you have access to UC library- which contains thousands of journals that you can access that will help you answer your questions. I also used google scholar.

    I got got accepted into the degree however, my heart was else where and applied to Sydney Uni with my ATAR score (UC prep mark) and got accepted into another degree, so I moved to Sydney.


 

Similar Threads

  1. what are you studying?
    By Hunkamunka in forum Hubbers who are studying
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 25-07-2012, 14:06
  2. What are you Studying?
    By nice piece of crumpet in forum General Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 20-04-2012, 14:14
  3. Studying and ttc
    By Sammyp in forum Hubbers who are studying
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-01-2012, 20:50

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
FEATURED SUPPORTER
Baby MonitorsLooking to buy a baby monitor? :: Read viewer reviews of baby monitors BEFORE you buy :: Buy at a local or online Baby ...
REVIEWS
"Made bed time less anxious"
by Meld85
My Little Heart Whisbear - the Humming Bear reviews ›
"Wonderful natural Aussie made product!"
by Mrstwr
Baby U Goat Milk Moisturiser reviews ›
"Replaced good quality with cheap tight nappies"
by Kris
Coles Comfy Bots Nappies reviews ›