+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Getting in to midwifery/nursing

Hi there,
    I'm currently in my 3rd year of my dual Nursing/midwifery degree at University of the Sunshine Coast Qld. I had only ever completed a traineeship in childcare. I sat the STAT test which gave me a ranking to get into Nursing and I was also able to do a free course before starting at the uni which was all about Academic Skills (it was through the uni over the summer before I started). I also found out I was pregnant with our 5th Bub at that time so I was able to do the semester of nursing and worked very hard to get good marks. I then had to take the next semester off to have my bub but applied to change program to the dual nursing midwifery degree. They used my GPA as a ranking and I transferred and started the dual degree in 2015. If you can get into nursing this may be a pathway for you to get in but not always guaranteed if a lot of people apply. However even if you could do your nursing first you could complete that then go back and do RN pathway Bachelor of Midwifery which is 18months. I hope that helps, it's an emotional ride!! Good luck 😊

Thanks
    Reviews
    I spent a long time reading all these posts, for several years in fact. Then on a whim I decided to finally apply and do my Bachelor of Nursing. Im studying through Federation University, completely online- except for one week residential block where we learn and are assessed on the practical component of the course.
    Initially I did this to become a midwife- I think thats still what I want to do, but the dual degrees didn't offer the flexibility I need in terms of online coursework. It is doable with organisation and dedication. I work casually too, which is great flexibility.
    I hope that when ive finished and I do my Grad year I can do the Grad Dip in Midwifery as well. Having the B.Nursing means a lot more flexibility, working in a regional or rural area its essential.