Closed Thread
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default UK family gets $59,000 a year in benefits

Wow thats a lot of money in benifits

UK family gets $59,000 a year in benefits

• By Matthew Acton and Guy Basnett, News of the World

A MOTHER and father with an incredible 14 kids who prove Britain's benefits system has gone bonkers, showering them with a whopping tax-free £36,847 (US$58,815) a year in handouts.

Pregnant Dawn and Sean Cain's huge family, aged 21 years to 19 months, have just enjoyed a very merry Christmas, with every mouthful of their turkey dinner, and every present stuffed under their tree, paid for by taxpayers.
    To match their breathtaking haul from the public purse Sean would have to clinch a job paying a gross salary of £51,500 ($82,200). Britain's average salary is just £21,320 ($34,000).
    And although he is able, he's definitely not willing.
    He and wife Dawn admit their New Year's resolution is never to find work, because no job they'd get in Britain's recession-hit economy will come close to paying the same.
    Sean hasn't lifted a finger since 2003 when he took time off to help Dawn handle a problem with the kids. He soon realised he was better off on benefits and has stayed home ever since.
    "With the social giving us £700 (US$1,100) a week why should I work for anything less? There's no point me even trying to look for a job. I've got a family of 15 to support," he said.
    "People could call us scroungers, but what would they do in the same situation?"
    And unlike most of Britain's workforce they're in for a payrise, as Dawn expects child number 15 in April.
    The 20-a-day smoker, who has never worked since she became a mother at the age of 18, said, "People expect us to be scruffy and dirty because we're such a big family, but we're not.
    "I look after my kids well and make sure we get by. And every Christmas I make sure they get everything they want."
    This year, those taxpayer-funded gifts totalled £2,000 ($3,200) and included mobile phones, bikes, scooters, a camcorder, hair straighteners and a Wii games console.
    Read more on Sean and Dawn Cain at the News of the World.
    http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/bre...-1225814032602

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Cant say I wouldnt do the same in there position.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Probably feel bad but still

Fuchsia! is offline Winner 2009 - Best Signature
    Winner 2010- The Best Signature Award
    Shmoooooooosh! AKA jaxcoop
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    eeek

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Probably with 14 soon to be 15 kids they'd probably need both at home helping to look after them if a lot young - but in a way makes you wonder if they are only having so many kids to keep this going as in not having to work? They might just want a large family true...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    That isn't much money considering that there is 17 people to feed!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    A vile story from a disreputable UK newspaper (like Today Tonight in print form):

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/

The original story has a breakdown of the benefits.

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/news...e-Skive-y.html

I think it's really unfortunate that one unusual situation is used to attack the whole welfare system.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with Poppet Fish, not a lot for soon to be 17 people.

I hate those sort of stories.

Perhaps the title should be "Super family of 17 budget on $59000 PA"

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sockstealingpoltergeist View Post
    I agree with Poppet Fish, not a lot for soon to be 17 people.

I hate those sort of stories.

Perhaps the title should be "Super family of 17 budget on $59000 PA"
    I think this is the first time we have ever agreed on something.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppetfish View Post
    That isn't much money considering that there is 17 people to feed!
    I agree, and that's in USD not AUD so it'd be less. I don't know what my neighbours are on but they get a lot in benefits. It'd be pretty stupid having that many kids simply to avoid working, it's much harder than working. If I had that many kids at home I'd probably work 7 days a week and hire a nanny

I guess they wouldn't get benefits for the older kids if they are adults. Maybe they get benefits in their own rights? Who knows. I'm sure there are Australian families on that amount. But as said above, when you've got that many to feed, clothe, educate, entertain and keep healthy it wouldn't leave them with "spending money" as such. Doesn't go far when you are providing for kids.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast