ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default should we say merry christmas to ppl who appear non christian or is it rude?

i don't know what to do? In the lead up to christmas i generally wish ppl in shops etc a merry christmas. But i really don't know what i should do with ppl who appear of a diffssent race perhap hindu or muslim etc. I don't want to be ignorant and offend then by saying merry christmas when they may not celebrate it but i feel rude for treating then different. My family is in northern sub of melb with alot of immigrants and it'r really impossible to know who celebrates christmas and who doesn't. My sister said i should say happy holidays but it really hard to get out cos it'r not something i ever say. What does everyone else do? To anyone who doesn't celebrate christmas what would you prefer ppl to say to you?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We do celebrate Christmas but in school my friend was a Jehovahs Witness and we just used to say "Happy Holidays" and get her a happy holidays card and pressie nothing to do with xmas.

Thanks
    Reviews
    yeh i will have to practice this happy holiday think but i feel like am american

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    "Happy Holidays" is the safest way to say it because everyone has holidays, or at least a couple of days off, at this time of year.

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Have a lovely day. I find that the nicest.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I say merry christmas..
    or have a happy christmas.

I cant judge who does and who doesnt celebrate it...

I dont think people would be offended..you are just wishing them a happy day..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I'd just say it tbh.

I think most people would be reasonable enough to understand you're just being nice and polite... and won't take offense.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Asabusymum View Post
    I say merry christmas..
    or have a happy christmas.

I cant judge who does and who doesnt celebrate it...

I dont think people would be offended..you are just wishing them a happy day..
    I say the same! It's not your job to know what they're celebrating - if you're celebrating xmas then I think it's just fine to say Merry Christmas. Obviously you're not intending to offend, and if they do get offended maybe they need to start looking at it in a different light, IMO.

But then! I have to admit I'm rarely the first to say it...and usually respond to whatever is said to me, so if they say happy holidays I'll say "you too!" or whatever...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Our local muslim community had a four page spread in our local paper a week before Christmas saying what they are planning on doing for Christmas (eg. BBQ and cricket). They also said that they also say merry Christmas. I personally don't get it but it's what they said.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I dont see it as rude just like if I was in a country where they celebrated something different I would wish people a happy whatever iykwim.
    I had some lovely muslim girls say merry xmas to me while I was weeding, they were looking at xmas lights.
    If people get offened then I would tell them to get over themselves TBH the only people I know who get upset about xmas cards ect are atheist's.