+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default Diamonds.

Spin off from the CZ thread.

I have quite a few diamonds that I wear everyday, I have had them for along time, I got them all before I had any idea about where they came from and the horrors behind them......

If I knew then what I know now, I would never, ever buy diamonds unless I knew they were not conflict diamonds I don't suppose there is any point getting rid of my diamonds considering I already have them??? Except maybe just to make a stand....I dunno....It's a hard one, because they are my wedding and engagements rings, plus really old ones of my mums, so have sentimental value of course...not that sentiments ever override human rights.....(thinking out loud here, bear with me......)

My question......do you know the reality behind diamonds and if so, are you happy to continue buying them and turning a blind eye or have you made a decision not to buy conflict diamonds?

Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes, I do know.

I have never bought a diamond and my partner has never bought me one. I have a pair of diamond earrings that were bought for me.

I can't see myself ever buying one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I love diamonds tbh, but am disgusted by the past. All diamond jewellry I have is certified and accredited to have come from conflict free regions. I think you can have the best of both worlds, it just takes some research to do the right thing. And the more support we give those retailers, the more pressure it puts on everybody else.

Thanks
    Reviews
    After watching Blood Diamond (which I literally cried from the very start to very end, it was so horribly violent and as a mum I just felt so sad for all the mothers in the world who are powerless to protect their children) I looked into it all a bit further and I wished I didn't have a diamond engagement ring. I just felt so awful knowing that realistically, a lot of our diamonds would be conflict diamonds. I thought though that there would be no point getting rid of my ring now, any damage would've already been done. But in future I will not buy diamonds (like its something I would do every day anyway hahaha) unless they were antique. I heard somewhere that antique diamonds are the most likely to NOT be conflict diamonds as it was before all that started happening. No doubt slave labour was probably still used to mine them tho.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The knowledge I have comes from the movie "Blood Diamond"

I found the movie horrific and hard to watch!

HOWEVER...I do have a diamond engagement ring. The jeweller says that ALL their diamonds are conflict free diamonds...

BUT I do wonder how do they REALLY know? In the movie they fake documentation so that the conflict diamonds are classed as conflict free diamonds...

Perhaps I am niave believing everything I saw in the movie but it seemed like a plausable (sp?) series of events.

Bron is offline Accentuate the positive
    WINNER 2006 Most Politically Correct Member
    Winner 2007 & 2008 Funniest member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I feel sad about diamonds too. My only diamond is in my engagement ring, I have no idea where it is from originally, because it was from my grandmother's engagement ring and the diamond was passed on to me when she died. I'm guessing that 70 years or so ago when she got engaged diamonds were unlikely to have come from happy places.

Anyway, I love diamonds, but any further purchases would need to be Australian, I reckon. Argyle diamonds for me. No conflict diamonds thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I have some Diamonds. I do worry about where they come from, and since becomming aware of the human rights issues I havn't bought any more and neither has my DH.

I try to buy antique and ethical jewelry.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bron View Post
    I feel sad about diamonds too. My only diamond is in my engagement ring, I have no idea where it is from originally, because it was from my grandmother's engagement ring and the diamond was passed on to me when she died. I'm guessing that 70 years or so ago when she got engaged diamonds were unlikely to have come from happy places.

Anyway, I love diamonds, but any further purchases would need to be Australian, I reckon. Argyle diamonds for me. No conflict diamonds thanks.
    At least IF your grandmother's diamond was a conflict diamond though, by NOT buying another one you are not contributing to more bloodshed

Lastcenturymum is offline I'm on a break from modding (it wont last forever ... I'll be BACK!!)
    Thanks
    Reviews
    When we bought my last diamond overseas the jeweler was talking about them and saying that there are strict guidelines about checking sources and authenticity (certainly in the country we were in) so no, it wouldn't make me want to get rid of my diamonds. The symbolism is too important.

If it's a conscience issue then there are many other area you'd need to look at, clothing from sweatshops being just one example (too late, too hot and brain fried to think clearly)