+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default polyhydramnios

Has anyone experience polyhydramnios in 2 consecutive pregnancies? I had it quite severely last time and am praying that it doesn't happen again this time. Nobody knows why it happened, but suspected diabetes may have been the cause. If it has happened to you, do you know what caused it? I'd love some advice. Thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,

I had polyhydramnios in my first pregnancy 7 years ago. It was SEVERE and meant I had to deliver 3 weeks early, as well as causing so much discomfort. I am currently about 34 weeks with my second baby. I have no signs of it this time around, fingers crossed things will stay that way!

Just like you my Dr. had no explanation why I had it, I just did. My diabetes tests were all borderline, but i did pass them... so, like you, perhaps it was a bit to do with that?

But in my opinion, and the more I think about it, the only other thing that I think it could have been is STRESS. I was in a really unstable and abusive relationship at the time and it really took its toll. I was not supported at all, whether it be with working, groceries, housework or even to be given a bit of TLC. And I was emotionally tortured. I had all sorts of weird and wonderful pregnancy symptoms during that pregnancy. It was God-awful!

This time around I am happily married to a new partner. I get a lot of help and support and my pregnancy has thus far been entirely text book and uncomplicated. Really average size baby (and belly - woohoo, not the whale I was last time!!). I have been monitored ++ but nothing...

I don't know anything about your situation, but honestly, for me, I cannot pinpoint any other reason why I had it. Hopefully (for both of us) it was just one of those freak things that won't rear its ugly head in consecutive pregnancies.

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had polyhydramnios in my second pregnancy - which was medically classed as a first due to a new partner and nine years since my first... it was discovered at 37wks, and I was induced at 37+5 because I had also developed pre eclampsia, and had suspected GDM (which later turned out to be from drinking lucozade)... there never was a clear reason for the polyhydramnios. I've just this year had another bub, and at 24wks presented large again... this time I did develop GDM, but had no signs of the polyhydramnios again...

most of the research I did last time linked polyhydramnios to pre eclampsia, and cause I had it last time I increased my calcium intake, which is supposed to help reduce PE

good luck to you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,
    I've been diagnosed with polyhydromnios and have been in hospital for 4 weeks. I am on complete bedrest and have been on meds to reduce the fluid which was worked. I am now 32 weeks. They have not given me a reason for it but they said there could possibily be something wrong with the baby!

Anyway, I'm glad I've been able to hang on this long because my cervix was open and they thought i might go into labour at 28 weeks.

I am sooo bored here in hospital

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have suspected polyhydramnios as I am 34 + 3 weeks & mearuring at 38 & have been ahead since 28 weeks and being 44 with the big belly is getting very tired carrying this bubba. GD tests were normal & have heard that sometimes there is no reason for this ...it just happens . Have another scan in just over a week to find out more

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Wow, this is an oldie. Brings back fairly unpleasant memories! It's very possible leeby but measuring under 4 weeks ahead is really good news with polyhydramnios. When it was at it's worst, I was measuring 10 weeks ahead. I ended up having it again the second time but it didn't get to the ridiculous stage of the time before because my waters broke at 31 weeks. I wouldn't worry too much - both my bubs were perfect and with you at nearly 35 weeks, even an early delivery won't be a problem. The only thing is, polyhydramnios can cause the baby to settle on the cord when your membranes rupture, so it's a good idea to stay close to the hospital and ring an ambulance immediately when and if they do. This is because the baby "floats" rather than settling fully into the pelvis. I'm sure your doctors will discuss all this after you have a scan. If you don't mind, I'd love to know how it goes after your scan. Congratulations, rest up, not long to go now!! Ps. I've sent you a PM about something I'd like to ask YOU about!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi thanks for info : ) I havent got any pm's yet but will see if one comes in ok
    Also they think she is breech but guess will find out with the scan . Guess we just play the waiting game & see what happens