Closed Thread
Page 3 of 54 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
    Sheer Bliss is offline new username time?? this is toooo friggin hard, and NOT Bliss!!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    hairram - congrats on your twins!! It's a bumpy ride sometimes, but fun!!

boygirlboygirl - I got mine from an online twin shop - just twins. It's the ezy2nurse inflatable. I was unsure about getting an inflatable, and it got a hole in one of the seams after about 3months, but they sent me one out immediately and were great about it. In hindsight I didn't really need the inflatable as I didn't end up taking it anywhere unless it inflated anyway! BUT it was invaluable in the early days. I twin feed without it now, and at almost 8months they are a little too big for it (I can do it, but its easier now with DD across my lap and DS football hold). I don't think i'd have b/f without its help, so worth every cent considering i'd have spent more on bottles and formula in the first month!

TT - I hear ya on the boys being jealous! I swear sometimes Eli looks at LExi moving about so much and wonders why he can't! He has just mastered sitting in the last 24hrs though, so he's pretty proud of himself there!

AFM.....cr@p, no time, Nick is loving them to pieces ATM and squashing them with his cuddles....lexi squealing, so I best join them to save her. xx

Thanks
    Reviews

Question Does it get any easier??

Hi ladies....

I'm a twin mum with 3 week old identical boys.

Just wondering if it gets any easier...??

Currently we are separating the boys at night and sleeping in separate rooms. This seems to be the only way we can get any sleep at all. There both feeding at approx. every 3/4 hours. By the time you burp them, settle them and get them back to bed there's just no time to sleep.

Twin 1 was born 6 1/2 pound and Twin 2 was 4 1/2 pound. Twin 2, because of his size, needs to be fed every 3 hours, whilst Twin 1 can possibly go 4 hours but seems to always be hungry!!

I'm formula feeding them with NAN... Couldn't seem to BF two and Twin 2 wasn't latching on. I managed to BF for the first 2 weeks.

My husband has time off work for another week and has been unbelievable.

Any suggestions on how to balance the feeding with sleep? How did other twin mums deal with the sleeping, feeding situation? Does it get any easier??

Any advice would be greatly appreciated....

Hope you don't mind me joining this thread, sometimes it gets a bit overwhelming being a first time mother and mother of twins.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by charlis_mum View Post
    TT - I hear ya on the boys being jealous! I swear sometimes Eli looks at LExi moving about so much and wonders why he can't! He has just mastered sitting in the last 24hrs though, so he's pretty proud of himself there!

Its crazy!!

GO Eli!!

James is still very very floppy in the trunk, Girls can sit for 5-10 seconds, than crazy & laugh their heads off cause they crashed!
    Weird kids these ones.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by twinpregmum View Post
    Hi ladies....

I'm a twin mum with 3 week old identical boys.

Just wondering if it gets any easier...??

Currently we are separating the boys at night and sleeping in separate rooms. This seems to be the only way we can get any sleep at all. There both feeding at approx. every 3/4 hours. By the time you burp them, settle them and get them back to bed there's just no time to sleep.

Twin 1 was born 6 1/2 pound and Twin 2 was 4 1/2 pound. Twin 2, because of his size, needs to be fed every 3 hours, whilst Twin 1 can possibly go 4 hours but seems to always be hungry!!

I'm formula feeding them with NAN... Couldn't seem to BF two and Twin 2 wasn't latching on. I managed to BF for the first 2 weeks.

My husband has time off work for another week and has been unbelievable.

Any suggestions on how to balance the feeding with sleep? How did other twin mums deal with the sleeping, feeding situation? Does it get any easier??

Any advice would be greatly appreciated....

Hope you don't mind me joining this thread, sometimes it gets a bit overwhelming being a first time mother and mother of twins.

Welcome

We're 7 months on & its not so much easier but more different. If that makes any sense. Different is a good thing.

We came home on 4 hourly feeds for all of them. They fed & slept for about 8 weeks straight, thats all they did. My 3 were also 3 months early.

We ate after they did & slept when they did, the house was a mess but it was the only way it worked.

Its not alot better they they can entertain themselves.

Best investment i ever made was a swing that swings side to side, has been awesome for DS who is a reflux bub.

Hope that helps.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi twinpregmum, I agree with TT it does not get easier just different but dont let that scare you!! I used to sleep for 45 mins between feeds with my boys at night due to their reflux it was the most horrendous time ever. You do manage BUT the single most important thing to do is ask for help from family and friends if you can. Catching up on sleep during the day makes things so much easier. Now having said that I struggled on when my boys were little trying to be supermum and do it all myself with out asking for help even tho it was offered BIG MISTAKE. everyone tells you to make the most of offered help but for some reason most of us think we can manage on our own, if I had that time again I would def use up everyone!!!!

I always fed the boys at the same time so if one woke the other got woken and they both fed at the same time.
    Can I ask why you have separated them, is it because they wake each other were they in the same cot??

Hang in there things do improve over time

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also feed them at the same time, if i fed one every hour it would leave me 1 hour spare. Not a good idea.

Sheer Bliss is offline new username time?? this is toooo friggin hard, and NOT Bliss!!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by TripleTime View Post
    Its crazy!!

GO Eli!!

James is still very very floppy in the trunk, Girls can sit for 5-10 seconds, than crazy & laugh their heads off cause they crashed!
    Weird kids these ones.
    It was a fluke that he learnt how to do it, they both got balls for christmas, just the thin plastic ones the size of soccer balls for Christmas. I sat him infront of me, then the ball infront of him. He was so busy grabbing it, and leaning on it that he forgot he could fall, and really used the ball to help him, then that helped strenghten his muscles while he did it. He kicks it now too, and this morning Nick sat opposite him and the rolled it to each other (well, Nick thought Eli was rolling it to him when he dropped it - haha) He still has the boomerang pillow behind him because he falls alot sometimes, but other times can sit there for ages! Lexi is only good for about 3 seconds! LOL

PMSL at the girls!!

twinpregmum - it seems so overwhelming sometimes, and TBH that feeling never goes away, but it does get easier to deal with. hope that makes sense! After they were past the prem stage we fed by demand of the one demanding! haha, I know that makes no sense. Basically if one woke for a feed, and it had been more than 2hrs since the last feed, both were got up and fed, I tandem fed using a twin feeding pillow, which made things heaps easier. Do you feed them at the same time? You could hold one and use a rocker for the other or sit between 2 rockers/boomerang pillows and hold both bottles. It seems really awkward at first, but you get the hang of it after a while.

I agree with Jezzy & TT - bugger the house and ASK/ACCEPT help!! The best way to cope is when you are feeling at least a little rested and if you aren't feeling your best everything will just feel 10x worse. My mum still does all our folding for us. I wash all week and chuck the clean clothes in a port-a-cot and mum arrives wednesday mornings and folds and puts away with DD while DS is at daycare and if the twins are sleeping, so do I!!

Is the 3hrly feeding on advice of a paed? Ours reccomends 4hrly feeds as it gives the baby time to grow and resst properly, as well as work up a good appetite in between feeds when they are not demanding. For the first month or so, ours were on 4hrly feeds (we had to wake them all the time) and gained around 250-300g each a week, totally on breastmilk and no top-ups. The nurses in the SCN said the prems on 4hrly gained faster and went home earlier than then ones under the paed that did 3hrly feeds.

With feeding - i'd try and get them feeding at the same time, so hopefully sleep happens at the same time too. Can you have most of the bottles prepared in advance? Maybe have the bottles pre-filled with the right amount of water and use formula dispensers or little containers to have the formula pre-measuerd, so you just have to chuck it in the bottle at feed time? Have the nappy change station set-up with nappies unfolded ready to go on? I have found that a half hour of preparation before bed (i set the brekkie table for the big kids, have the farex and banana on the bench with the babies bowl etc) makes the mornings flow soooo much better.

I separated my 2 as DS was awake and crying alot from months 1-3 but then had a hard time getting them back in the same room. Now they are in together (separate cots, same room) and DD was crying for an hour on and off (I was trying to settle her to sleep ) and he didn't stir. He also wakes more often in the night for feeds and doesn't wake her now too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    For some reason also I would start the day from their first morning feed at 5 or 6am I used to cry when I saw the sun come up as it was the start of another long and sleep deprived day STUPID... then when I realised that everything would still be waiting for me during the day I would go back to bed for a sleep til their next feed at 8 or 9, it made such a difference.
    I also had my bottles pre made for the next 24 hrs and stored in the back of the fridge it made life much easier.
    We also lived on take out, chinese,thai indian or just a cooked chook for a few months as i was too buggered to even contemplate cooking let alone washing dishes after washing 16 bottles.
    Please please accept help when offered it will save your sanity

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just had another thought on bottle making, if you can make formula in a jug, keep it in the fridge & heat is needed. It lasts 24 hours & saves time, energy & all the other bits that come with it.
    At 7 months im still making it in jugs. 1.5L last just under 24 hours for both DD's. DS has thickened feeds so their made as we go with bottles of water on the bench & a formula container beside with the right amount ready to go.

If there is a way to do things quicker, i can guarantee ive found it.

If someone offers help, TAKE IT & run with it!! If anyone rings to say their coming over & asks if you need anything. Say yes, Milk & Bread. Even if you dont, put it in the freezer & defrost as you need it.
    At one point we had a freezer full of bread.

Someone comes to over & offers to hold a baby, hand them over & go have a shower. 10 minutes to yourself will make you feel like a million bucks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi all

I've been MIA for a while, DF (now XDF) and I have had a nasty seperation! I'm happy we have split up though and so far am doing ok as a single mum.

Caitlyn and Breanna are now 8 months old (7 corrected) and are both sitting unassisted, crawling and saying bub, dad and mum. They are still in 000 clothing lol. They have the chunkiest thighs ever though! Must take after their mummy .

Hope all is well with everyone, a huge congrats to bubbs and welcome to all the new comers!

Hope you all had a good xmas.