+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default costs of excursions/school camps

Just wondering what the average cost of school excursions and camps might be (public primary school), per year

I am starting to save now to cover these expenses, but have no idea what I need to aim for as an annual guide

anyone have any ideas?

thanks

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    It's really very dependant on where they are heading, and for how long.

Also, the number of students attending will affect the overall amount you may have to pay.

A good idea may be to just direct debit money into a savings account each week (maybe only $5 a week or something small) so then at least you have something to work with when these camps and excursions crop up, because really, there is no set price as to what one will cost.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeh I was going to say the same as nomsie, it's hard to tell. Although I would aim to save about $200 for camp n $20/excursion. My sisters go to catholic schools (primary & high) so it's included in their fees.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    How long's a piece of string really...

In Vic state schools, most kids do two weeks of swimming = upwards of $150

In Prep's they rarely have any excursion, mostly incursions, and for DD is was about $40 plus swimming

For DS in grade 2 this year it was about $80 plus swimming for two excursions, a sleep over and a couple of incursions

Thanks
    Reviews
    ok, thanks for those tips. I really don't want my kids to miss out on that type of fun stuff but it's tough budgeting for it.

I also need to cover uniforms etc. Right now I am roughly estimating $800 a year each for uniforms, sports and excursions but that figure has just been pulled out of thin air!

Might be an idea to ask the school? I have no idea if camps are a yearly or every second year thing, for example.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by tuttifrutti View Post
    ok, thanks for those tips. I really don't want my kids to miss out on that type of fun stuff but it's tough budgeting for it.

I also need to cover uniforms etc. Right now I am roughly estimating $800 a year each for uniforms, sports and excursions but that figure has just been pulled out of thin air!

Might be an idea to ask the school? I have no idea if camps are a yearly or every second year thing, for example.
    I'm not too sure that it is the same for every state but I am pretty sure that camps only really start towards the end of primary school, maybe year 3 or 4 onwards.

Depending on the school as well the cost for excursions/incursion could also be covered by "voluntary contributions". DD's school set the contributions to cover the costs of them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    After last year I'm budgeting for camps from now on. Plus next years camp is meant to be really good and she can't miss out again. I budget for everything else and was fine with all the normal school expenses even with all the uniforms, 3x school fees, school shoes etc and DD2 & DD3 starting as well but was shocked to find out we needed to pull a minimum of $395 out of thin air with about a weeks notice. Not to mention she would have needed 4 days worth much warmer clothes, gloves and boots etc.

Unfortunately she had to miss out. But she did end up being a bit sick during that time so it was for the best in the end. Otherwise I probably would have needed to go and get her. I heard others were very sick when they got back including teachers as there was a child sent on the camp that was sick and it went through the bus.

At our school they do the same excursions and camps every 2 years. So for example, some kids will be in Year 5 for one camp while others will be in Year 6. They don't start going on camps until Year 3.

Normal excursions weren't much. I think the most expensive was $22 each for my twins in Kindergarten. I just got our notes for next year saying that or school fees will be about $90 each plus voluntary contributions not to mention the big list stuff they need.
    Last edited by Dannielle; 16-12-2009 at 21:21.