+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default What are you cooking on Christmas Day?

We usually go interstate at Christmas to see the family and are lucky that we don't ever have to think much about the cooking. This year everyone is coming to us!!! And I've never really prepared loads of food for Christmas Day. Can anyone share their ideas as to what you are cooking/preparing to make the day special. I am thinking of buying a seasoned turkey breast roll and doing it on the bbq, although seems very exy at 24.99 a kg and what if it doesn't work out? I saw a rolled seasoned pork loin tonight in safeway which was only 14.99 kg which looked nice so am thinking of buying one and doing a trial run to see if that is nice. Might have a go at making some mince pies and Mum is going to do a pavlova. What else do you make to make the day special?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have hosted and cooked for the last 2 christmases, but this year the 3 of us are going to get a top room in a hotel in the city and eat at the hotel restaurant so no cooking or dishes for me this year!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Last year i cooked a roast chicken, roast pork, turkey sausages wrapped in bacon, roast vegies, potato salad with smoked salmon, coleslaw, green salad, Christmas pudding ice-cream and mango/coconut icecream. Also shortbread to nibble on.

I cooked the meat the night before so we had it cold on christmas lunch with the salads. All I had to cook on the day was the sausages with bacon, which was done in the oven with the roast vegies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That sounds nice poppetfish! I didn't know you could do sausages in the oven. Did roast vegies and salads go well together?

I think my problem is that my Mum has taken it upon herself to micro manage what I'm doing and seems to ring up on a daily basis to discuss whether I should cook pork or turkey, so I know longer feel like I'm doing this myself if that makes sense.

I'm not a very confident cook and haven't done roasts much before, but plan to do a lot of practicing in the next few weeks. Where did you buy turkey sausages? Did you just wrap them yourself and skewer them?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    For DH, DD and myself I am making, turkey, cranberry sauce, cold ham, prawns, roast vegetables, greek salad, christmas pudding and custard. As well as Egg Nog

Thanks
    Reviews
    Google Nigella Lawson's Christmas recipies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Aren't Nigella Lawson's recipes a bit over the top/hit and miss? I need reliable exact recipes - not a great cook.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jules16 View Post
    Aren't Nigella Lawson's recipes a bit over the top/hit and miss? I need reliable exact recipes - not a great cook.
    They are overly complicated. When I did my training as a Navy Cook we were told not to bother with her stuff as they take way too long and half the time they don't work. Good cook books are simple, with a list of ingredients you can get at the supermarket and have plenty of pictures. We like the Take Five cook book, woman's weekly, and my favourite is actually the Dr Phil companion cook book to his weight loss solution book. I also got a great thick cook book from the cloth nappy secret santa called Fast Foods. It's great as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Elle. Are you going to serve up a mix of hot and cold then? Does this work ok with roast veg? Do you still do a gravy? Or do you do it by courses? How are you going to do the prawns?

Thanks
    Reviews
    We're in the same boat here and will have about 12-14 people for lunch. I'm so excited as I love big get togethers!!
    I'm not cooking much at all because Perth Xmas days are traditionally stinking hot but to appease the Irish half of the family, my DP's mum is bringing a hot Turkey and slices it beforehand to make it easy to transport. She just gets the pre-rolled one from Leonards Chicken and bakes it. They always seem to turn out well! I'll do a potato bake the night before and reheat on the day as it beats roasting and can be pre-prepared. Will probably steam some green beans and toss with halved cherry tomatoes and slivered almonds (for the festive colours).
    Other than that we'll have the Ham, King prawns and salads - a watermelon, mint and onion salad, a green salad and the crispy noodle salad (the one on the back of the Changs noodle packets and add some shredded BBQ chicken). Pavlova and trifle with ice cream for dessert. Anything left over gets eaten for dinner at the traditional picnic and swim at Yanchep Lagoon. I sooooo cant wait for Christmas day!!
    Last edited by TeenyT; 04-12-2009 at 11:19.