+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default I need advice please this is not working.... Quickly please..

Hi I am trying to stop breastfeeding.. My son is 6.5 months. 4.5 corrected..

I have tried giving him the breast and then topping him off with Formula, I have tried giving him formula first and holding him out longer.

He wont drink the formula. At all.

Its not the actual bottle he has a problem with because I have been expressing for work since he was 6 weeks old.. Its the formula.

How can I make this an easier transition on him..?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hello Fullmoon
    Just want to say well done on expressing and bottling ect for as long as you have. Thats not an easy road so good for you. Your baby is very lucky.
    Could you try adding a bit of formula to your BM then slowly increase it with each day? When bub starts to look like refusing just stay at that mix for a few days? Also sounds silly but are you heating it? I know my DD wouldn't touch formula that was cold when she had it a few mth ago.

All the best xoxo

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I haven't weaned onto formula but is it possible to start with a EBM high mixture and slowly reduce the BM for formula (not sure if this would work)
    Otherwise could someone else try to feed him the formula so he isn't associating you and BM with what isn't in the bottle. Or perhaps try a different formula I have read on here that the Heinz one is favoured by BF bubs.

Soory not much help I don't think Hope you get it sorted soon
    Snap Amazing Grace.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ill try that thanks for the advice/..

So do you mean put the breast milk and formula in the same bottle but put a small amount of formula in and slowly increase formula and decrease breast milk

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bump>>>>>

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Have you tried another brand of formula? They have slightly different tastes so maybe you could change to another one? I found Heinz to smell the nicest, and has more of a powdered milk smell as opposed to the weird smell of S26. It's also a good price.

My middie with my first child told me Nan was the closest to bm, but I don't know whether she meant that in terms of nutrients or taste.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Could it be that bub just doesn't like the particular formula you are using? - some taste better than others.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My girl will only drink formula with EBM in it.

She also takes it better at room temp not heated.

Nan has been the only one she will take.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Iv tried almost everything but nan.. SO will try that tomorrow..

Someone also said to try to feed it to him with my shirt off, but it makes me leak..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    BM is a lot sweeter than formula... try adding brown sugar or vanilla essence to your formula... if the breastmilk (90%) and formula (10%) combo doesn;t work