+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default TTC in February and desperately wanting to BF

DD is 4 months old, and breastfeeding was not a success for us, she has quite severe reflux and without a thickened feed she will just not have a feed. My flow was WAY too fast for her, I tried pumping and thickening for a while and that did not work. As I could not express enough and ended up spending my whole day either pumping or giving DD a bottle. Anyway...

We're planning a second baby, and I desperately want to BF. Not that I have anything against FFing, I just want to give breastfeeding a second chance.

I'm okay with not being able to leave bub for the night, I don't now. I'm okay without drinking, or energy drinks, or coffee, I don't do that now.

What can I do to be successful the second time around? I'm prepared for the fact that bub #2 might have the same issues as bub #1, but I want to give it a chance.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

lucysummers is offline My little monkey and my little pickle!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had similar issues....DS ended up being FF, part my issue but he was also a big refluxy baby.......well....I am now 5 months into a successful BF relationship with DD.

The best thing that got it working second time round for me was ASK ASK ASK.....the lactation consultant at the hospital was great. Try to relax and go with the flow and hopefully it will work for you like it did for us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lucysummers View Post
    I had similar issues....DS ended up being FF, part my issue but he was also a big refluxy baby.......well....I am now 5 months into a successful BF relationship with DD.

The best thing that got it working second time round for me was ASK ASK ASK.....the lactation consultant at the hospital was great. Try to relax and go with the flow and hopefully it will work for you like it did for us.
    Thanks, I think we'll be picking the next hospital based on lactation consultants

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yay Elleandmum, congrats on making the decision to try again after such a hard time round first time.

Talk over your concerns with your MWs/Ob, so that they are prepared to hit the ground running with BFing once bub is born. If you found the hospital a stress-free place to learn BFing last time then try to go private if you can so you can stay as long as possible. If you found it awful, try to get home asap! Stress to your care providers you don't want bub separated from you after birth unless absolutely necessary, get bub skin-to-skin as much as possible, attach bub asap after birth. All these things can help you hit the ground running with BFing.

I would also book in to see a private LC after birth as well as the hospital ones... I found things were all good and well in hospital but as soon as I got home it all fell apart. It cost me $165 for a private LC but she was worth it, Im still using her techniques 6 months on.

I would also try to talk to a Mum who has/is BFing a newborn with a child around what you think your DD's age will be at that time, they might be able to give you some tips on how to manage/deal with your DD when you are stuck on the couch BFing your new bub so often at the start.

Lastly, organise as much help as possible in home when bub is newborn, either getting DP to take lots of time off if possible, or get trusted family members/friends to drop by lots, or hire help, anything to make life as stress free as possible in those first few weeks when newborns want to BF round the clock and its exhausting and painful. You make sure you are just lying around with bub, skin to skin as much as possible and relaxing.

You can do it! Good luck on your TTC/BFing journey.
    Last edited by Lilahh; 01-12-2009 at 18:23.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilahh View Post
    Yay Elleandmum, congrats on making the decision to try again after such a hard time round first time.

Talk over your concerns with your MWs/Ob, so that they are prepared to hit the ground running with BFing once bub is born. If you found the hospital a stress-free place to learn BFing last time then try to go private if you can so you can stay as long as possible. If you found it awful, try to get home asap! Stress to your care providers you don't want bub separated from you after birth unless absolutely necessary, get bub skin-to-skin as much as possible, attach bub asap after birth. All these things can help you hit the ground running with BFing.

I would also book in to see a private LC after birth as well as the hospital ones... I found things were all good and well in hospital but as soon as I got home it all fell apart. It cost me $165 for a private LC but she was worth it, Im still using her techniques 6 months on.

I would also try to talk to a Mum who has/is BFing a newborn with a child around your DD's age, they might be able to give you some tips on how to manage/deal with your DD when you are stuck on the couch BFing your new bub so often at the start.

Lastly, organise as much help as possible in home when bub is newborn, either getting DP to take lots of time off if possible, or get trusted family members/friends to drop by lots, or hire help, anything to make life as stress free as possible in those first few weeks when newborns want to BF round the clock and its exhausting and painful. You make sure you are just lying around with bub, skin to skin as much as possible and relaxing.

You can do it! Good luck on your TTC/BFing journey.
    Thank you so much for that, lots to think about and lots to keep in mind.

I've already sort of thought that we'll have a special box of things for DD to do/watch/read/play with when newbie is feeding, whether bottle or breast.