+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thanks for all the replies...I'm going to buy the cot second hand from a friend and just get a new mattress for it.
    I do have my heart set on a new combi pram it's soooo perfect and everything I want in a pram, I'm inlove with that pram...it's does cost $550 but it will be my splurge item!
    Everything else I will need to start looking around shops and ebay and comparing prices...

Thanks
    Reviews
    I got a new mattress, care seat , change table (only because I had to replace one I said I would keep) bottles, breast pump (dd was prem so I needed one) and pram.

I used ds old draws and cot repainted them to match and put on cute flower draw handles she will also get his old bed as he got a brand new set.

I have a mix of second hand clothes and new and I only ever buy clothes on sale they grow out of them so quick I dont think it's worth spending a heap on clothes.

I would look around for new items to make sure you get the best price also lay-buy is good my pram was $500 I lay-buyed then when I wanted to pick it up same pram was $330 on sale so I cancled the lay-buy and saved $170

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't have a budget as such but looked for bargains with a few second hand items thrown in.

Cot & Matress - $240 on special at Target
    Bassinette - $80 ( waste of $$ as she sleeps in her cot more often than not at a month old)
    Chest of drawers - I already had
    Change mat - $35
    Bottles, steriliser & accessories $250
    Car seat - Hipod on sale for $199
    Bath - given to me by my sisters collegue
    Pram (Bugaboo) - gift from my parents
    Monitor - $139

I did spend an awful lot on decorating the nursery, but I chose a design that will last well into DD's 'big girl room' later on. But as a single mum I felt this was important as I doubt I will be able to afford it later if I decide not to go back to work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    After being given lots from family and bargain hunting for new and used, we spent about $1200 which has done 2 kids and most of it can be re-used for our 3rd which is on it's way...:-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is what we spent...

2nd hand cot from ebay $50+$80 worth of paint/ sandpaper etc to jazz it up (new mattress + protector etc)

Change table (normal table from ikea) - $50 (used the paint above for match it with the cot)

Chest of drawers - had them in another room already

Play Gym - $50 from bambino pronto online webiste half price

Bouncer - $40 half price Kmart

Pram - $110 - 60% off from KMart

No baby bath (we have always showered DS and use the bath in the bathroom as a "pool" for swimming on hot days

Clothes from Target, Kmart etc all on sale

Carseat - $150 half price from Target

We also got a lot of gifts from relatives like a bassinet, clothes, toys etc.

We have since bought a baby bjorn, bumbo etc - but recommend buying those things as you need them as you don't know if you need them until bubs arrives and you get to know what they want.

If I had my time again I would buy a better pram - I like the ones where the baby can face either way rather then just the front. But our pram is sturdy, easy to fold and fairly light.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think if your going to buy the carseat new look for a tall back. The babylove brand is known for being much smaller in height which will reduce the use of the seat when your toddler is too tall but under the weight for the seat.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our Baby budget was non existant. We bought what we wanted when we wanted as we are lucky enough to be in the financial position to do so, and we have been buying since our first pregnancy in January this year.

This is what we bought

Cot $500.00
    Mattress $95.00
    Bedding/Floor Rug/Curtain Valance/Hamper/Nappy Stacker $700.00
    Lamp $80.00
    Change Table $199.00
    Shelves for wall $99.00
    Clothes $300.00
    Bath $40.00
    Cloth Nappies/NAppy buckets/Napppy Covers $150.00
    Strider Dlx Capsule $280.00
    Strider Dlx Bassinett $180.00
    Strider Dlx Pram $529.00
    Highchair $149.00
    Bassinett $179.00
    Capsule for 2nd car $199.00
    Stroller for 2nd car that takes capsule $300.00
    Pouch $70.00
    Breast Pump $139.00
    Rocking chair and ottoman $150.00
    Bouncer $40.00
    Playgym $30.00
    Change Mat $21.50
    Change mat covers & Wraps ect $150.00
    Playpen $150.00
    Bibs/Socks/Singlet $100.00
    Shoes (probably 12 pairs) $150.00
    Angelcare Monitor $300.00
    Porta Cot $130.00
    Swing Free from Sister
    Safe and Sound Car seat Gift from friends
    Miscellenious probably around $500.00

Total was around $6000.00

However we could have done it one under $2000.00 if we had to.

My way of dealing with my grief over our miscarriage was to shop which is why we spent so much, although my best friend and I compared budgets and hers was closer to $10,000 as she bought all Boori furniture, a bugaboo pram and dior shoes and dresses for bubba ectg.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow I am amazed at how much some people actually spend. Quite silly when you think about it - as most of it isn't used for that long. I understand spending a little more if you are going to be using it for all of your children but I know many like to buy new for each child.

I had a mix of secondhand and new with my first.

I was given a cot, bassinet and rocker. Also bags and bags of clothes.
    I bought a new pram for $180, a $30 nappy bag, a $150 car seat and I got a chest of drawers at a garage sale for $30 - just repainted. Probably $100 for extras - cloth nappies, nappy buckets and blankets. So all up max of $500. I was lucky that a friend made me beautiful curtains, cot blanket, sheet set and nappy hanger out of the same material.

With my second I used the same cot, bassinet and rocker. She had a $200 pram (which was a gift) and a $190 car seat. I bought bottles and a couple of blankets and outfits - no more than about $100 there either. I also got her chest of drawers at a garage sale for $50. So all up for her only $340. Reused the baby curtains, nappy hanger etc for her.

I think something is seriously wrong if you can't do it all for under $2000

Thanks
    Reviews
    Everything I had was given to us second hand, and I mean EVERYTHING, clothes and all. Except pram and breast pump and terry towelling nappies (gift from friends for baby shower). We had NO budget and bought nothing!

This time around (3rd baby) we are in a really good financial position so I am treating baby to a new pram (got rid of the old one when DD2 outgrew it), a new car seat (as the old ones will be out of date/unsafe by now), some modern cloth nappies to mix with the terry flats, and a second hand changetable, coz we never had one before. I have been given loads of baby clothes etc which he will outgrow in 5 seconds, I don't understand anyone buying new clothes for their baby!

Don't waste your money and the environment on new everything, i would recommend a new car seat and cot mattress (unless they are reasonably new from people you know), the rest is negotiable. Baby furniture like cots and changetables especially are not worth buying new.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by crazymuma View Post
    I think something is seriously wrong if you can't do it all for under $2000
    I dont think I'll have a second child, so I will sell everything after I finished using it in a few years time. I was forced to buy a lot of things new, as most of my friends and family live overseas and therefor cant hand anything down to me. Living in a small town its very hard to pick up something secondhand as well. If you live in the city, you could get some awesome bargains on ebay and such

I dont think I'll ever buy new clothes while my bub is still small. They grow out of it soooo quickly and than I would give it to Vinnies or something. A lot of the clothes in opshops are near new because of the same reason; bubs growing so fast. The only new clothes I have, are clothes sent to me from my family overseas.

Oh yeah and I saw someone mentioning the Angelcare monitor. I forgot about that. Im buying the Oricom Secure 500. It will cost me $160,- but that will come off the babybonus