+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kuddles View Post
    I just had a thought...
    If you buy or are given a second hand pram be very careful to make sure it fits the new legal requirements of have a tether strap and red brakes. It is illegal to give or sell a pram without these and if caught out there are massive fines attached.
    I find the tether strap comes in very handy especially in dangerous areas.
    You can buy the strap and paint the brakes red

Thanks
    Reviews
    We didn't set a budget here either as such. But I am a stickler for getting value for money.

We used choice for some guidance on some items like cot and pram/stroller.

The cot and change table was new from Target, about $300 for both (combined). I cannot cannot justify spending more on a cot than my own bed cost! It's lunacy!

A lot of clothes we bought from baby markets and ebay. I can't see the point of spending $10 for a piece of clothing that will be outgrown before it's worn out when I can get a perfectly good similar piece for $1.

Breast pump we bought new - I'd read these can wear out after heavy use. A number of items were loaned to us from generous friends. We bought a bunch of toys from ebay which are great!

The one thing we won't even consider getting second hand is the car seat. The only exception to that is if we bought it from a trusted friend and it hadn't been in a accident.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crumbdad View Post
    We didn't set a budget here either as such. But I am a stickler for getting value for money.

We used choice for some guidance on some items like cot and pram/stroller.

The cot and change table was new from Target, about $300 for both (combined). I cannot cannot justify spending more on a cot than my own bed cost! It's lunacy!

A lot of clothes we bought from baby markets and ebay. I can't see the point of spending $10 for a piece of clothing that will be outgrown before it's worn out when I can get a perfectly good similar piece for $1.

Breast pump we bought new - I'd read these can wear out after heavy use. A number of items were loaned to us from generous friends. We bought a bunch of toys from ebay which are great!

The one thing we won't even consider getting second hand is the car seat. The only exception to that is if we bought it from a trusted friend and it hadn't been in a accident.
    Good point about a cot being more than a bed, you're right, that does sound bizarre lol.

With the carseat, I did use a second hand one from a friend, as her brother bought a 8 to 18kg seat for their mother's car when the baby was about a year old. She was 2 when DD was born, and at 3 (when DD was 1) she upgraded to a convertible carseat/booster and we were given the 8 to 18kg seat. That went into my mum's car as the spare carseat and that friend now has it back as she babysits other kids. It's just so so so important to know where a seat has come from. It was bought new for this friend and I was able to know fully 100% that it had never been in any sort of collision or she would have cut the straps and dumped it immediately.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Absolutely buy second hand, you can get SO much good stuff. We bought new the pram, breast pump, highchair and car seat because I wanted good stuff that I knew was in top condition. Everything else we got second hand mostly off friends, including cot (bought a new mattress and sheets though), baby bath, rocker, heaps of clothes, and bookshelf and tallboy for the nursery. From the paper we got a rocking chair, baby safety gates, travel cot and a play centre. We saved SO much money, all of the second hand stuff we bought was in top condition and half price. Baby stuff is so expensive and used for such a short period of time. Baby markets are also a great place to buy second hand, we got a lot of clothes from there.

All the money we saved I spent on new cloth nappies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    For DD1, we were poor as church mice - I had just finished uni and DP was not earning much; our budget was zero! we borrowed almost everything, and were given hand me down clothes (plus some new things after the birth). My parents bought us a second hand pram. The only thing i bought, right before the birth, was a new car seat with just about every cent I had in the bank at the time. My study desk became the change table, and we borrowed a portacot just until we could afford a cot of our own but of course we never could, so she moved in to a big girl bed at 18 months old (my old one!). I fully breasfed and did not use bottles, formlua, dummies or anything that might cost me a cent since we really couldnt afford it.

This time - 13 years later and with alot more financial stability - I of course wanted everything new!!! since last time it just was not like that. I made a spreadsheet and got RRP's for the things we wanted and it came out at about $4000. We have bought a few things second hand, but the big things like cot, pram, basinette, car seat etc we bought new. I included other things like breasfeeding pillow, pump, sheets, mattresses, high chair, rocker etc EVERYTHING. I have spend more than this though as I have also bought quite a few maternity things this time which I suppose are part of a baby budget. Last time, I bought nothng (oh - I oversize t-shirt from kmart!).

So, I guess I firmly believe they cost as much as you have. First time we had nothing and she cost almost nothing; this time we have more money and bubba is costing a lot more! Its amazing how little you can manage on if you really need to (althoughI have to say buying lovely new things and setting up the nursery has been VERY fun and special this time around )

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    we just got a cot on Ebay for $102 practically brand new as bubs ended up in parents bed, and a pram for $130 which is brand new, was an excess gift!
    I also got a change table for $16 but it is hand made so not sure cause of safety standards etc, didnt think it through when bought it, it is gorgeously made but just not sure!

Oh and the high chair is from my grandfather, very reto, needs doing up but i love it, is same as one we had as kids, all i need to do is add some sort of harness to it
    Last edited by moomechanic; 28-11-2009 at 09:48.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My opinion is baby is not going to remember or particularly care what you buy, as long as its happy and content.

The only big ticket thing we bought was a pram ($500). I wish we'd looked around a bit more though, as Target had decent Steelcrafts with bigger baskets for a cheaper price.

We skipped the bassinet and went straight to purchasing an IKEA cot. We don't have a nursery - we had IKEA wire draws and a bathroom cabinet stored in our garage so we took them out, gave them a clean and we have the perfect storage for all of baby's clothes, sheets, and nappy supplies. Ikea also do cotton sheet sets which can be thrown into a hot wash at a moment's notice.

We didn't buy a change table either. We have a sturdy change mat that can go on the bed, and I've filled a basket full of nappy supplies so I can carry it around the house, if need be.

We had friends buy us a baby bath, and loads of clothes. . They all kept the tags on, just incase we did not need anything. We also kept our eye on baby clothing specials. Big W do $5 rompers, perfect for summer. No point in spending money at Pumpkin Patch etc when baby is going to grow out of her outfits!

All up we have gone under budget, and are pretty pleased

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We spent about $2000 all up, but IL's bought us the carseat and my parents gave us $$.

Check out your local Lions club. Ours has a shop and we got a port-a-cot, highchair, change table and heaps of 1yo clothes for about $150 all up. All were in great condition and just needed a clean.

We had BF issues, so got an electric pump off e-bay for 1/2 the retail price and hubby made the cot.

I agree with other posters in that personally I wouldn't get a second hand (or scrimp on a) carseat (you just never know what's happened to it), mattress, bottles etc but everything else is fair game! Just check that it meets the safety guidelines etc as someone else has already said.

The other thing to do is wait until Target/K-Mart/Big W whatever has their sales and lay-by a heap of stuff. I did that with about $300 worth of clothes, blankets etc and paid it off. Would have been over $500 if not on sale!

Thanks
    Reviews
    The only new things this bub has got are the cot mattress, and his clothes and wraps, bottles and dummies etc.

Cot was $40 off ebay. Pram my brother and SIL gave to me, car seat is DD's old one she used, now she is in a maxi-rider.

Bath and change table was $30 all up from the local 2nd hand shop and I bought the bath new at Big W.

Bassinet was given to me by my old boss, and bubs has my chest of drawers which I sanded back and stained myself.

I see no need for a capsule, they are only in there for such a short amount of time.

It is nice to have new things, but I would want them to be able to be used for other things later on.
    For example, if I was to buy a new cot, it would be a Boori 4-in-1, so that bubs could use it basically until it broke.

New pram, I would have to be planning on more kids, and as for the sterilizers and such, well they aren't even recommended anymore so I didn't bother.

So I definately think you can do it all in $2000 and under.
    Oh, and you can GIVE AWAY a pram without a tether strap, you just can't SELL one.
    Last edited by boogernsqueak; 28-11-2009 at 14:20.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I bought a lot of furniture new as I was unable to find anything second hand or had people who were willing to hand me down nursery items.
    I guess I will sell it when not needed anymore.

My parents bought me a pram which is family tradition. It was 529 dollars, the reason it was so expensive is because it was the only one I could fit into my car Trading my car in for a bigger one would've meant a 6 grand loss
    I would've bought things off ebay if there were any local sellers, but alas, I live in a small town
    Clothes and linen I got mostly at op-shops as a lot of the stuff there is either new or hardly worn. Kids grow out of things soooo quickly

Cot, changetable, mattress and changemat was $650 as a package.
    Pram was $529.
    Secondhand highchair I won for $40 at the Tender Center
    Bumgenius MCN's $700
    Bassinette New $100
    Carseat from Newborn to 18kg's (hopefully it will last me 2-3 years) $199
    Bottles, teats, breastpads, medicinekits and other small stuff ads upto about 200 bucks.

DOnt forget that you will need maternity clothing or at least new bigger clothes. Maternity clothing is very expensive though and you only wear it for a few months. I just bought stretchy skirts and yoga pants and tops. I can wear them after birth too.

I reckon $2000 is plenty if you combine new and second hand items. Though if you want everything new, I dont think you'll make it.

Its personal choice and opinion I guess and how fussy one can be about perfect quality or not

Goodluck with it all