+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We got given a book shelf, chest of draws, change table and cot (all safe and fitting the safety guidelines).
    We bought the
    mattress new ($125)
    Bassinet new ($190)
    Pram new ($280)
    Car seat new ($500) - we spared no expense on the car seat - top of the range safe and sound one
    Electric steriliser ($120)
    High chair ($120)
    All our clothes were new bought by us and friends
    Baby bath (mum bought it) Fisherprice one - next baby we will go out and get a cheap one because the fisherprice one was just too small and our son hated it.
    MCN - new

I think you could get by on $2000.

Our most helpful purchase was our Fisher Price cradle swing. It was such a life saver.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    $2000 was more than enough for us. I don't think we spent anywhere near that.

Everyone has a different lifestyle and parenting style so everyone will need a different assortment of nursery needs. When pregnant with DS1 we tried not to buy many things, it was better to wait and see what we needed once DS was born. We also have some pre loved items (like pram). We are limited for space, and we want to have a large family so having DS was our trial for what we really need.

Using a (free) second hand pram has made me aware of which features we really need in a pram. Having had DS I now know I don't need bottles or a pump (we breastfeed and I can't express) so I'm glad we never wasted money on these items. I also now know I need a nursing chair because feeding on the lounge puts my back out. I also know that we use a cot (we got one when DS was two months old and have used it ever since). I know I use cloth nappies so they're worth buying, and I know I won't use a change table so it's not worth buying. etc etc.

Now that I'm having DS2 I know what to buy, what not to buy, and what specific features I need in each product.

SIDS recommendation is to use a brand new mattress with each baby, so I would buy a new one of those. And I have to agree with the others about getting the car seat new.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Two grand can easily cover baby things. They really don't need as much as baby magazines would have you believe.

With no. 1 it's natural to want the best of everything, but if you're on a budget and open to 2nd hand you can do just as well this way. Personally i would prefer not to get 2nd hand breast pump or bottles, but i have just managed to score a "semi second hand" pump- ie., already purchased and given to someone as a gift, now for sale at half price but never used, still in the packaging! If u shop around there are some great bargains out there. Gumtree.com.au is fabulous.

Its worth investing in the stuff u will use the most, like for me a pram as i walk everywhere, but honestly most expensive doesn't always equal "best". I spent $300 on a new pram by popular baby brand which lasted 6 months, while my $47 kmart stroller has given me 18 months and is just starting to fall apart now! Seriously there are cots for well under 1000 too. Kmart and target are my baby havens, along with local op shop which u should check out for clothing, if u have one. Remember people only use baby stuff for a limited time (usually a year max, clothes only a few months!) so it's generally still in good condition even if it is "used".

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think there is no problem with buying secondhand stuff! Although we bought the carseat, cot mattress & matress protector brand new Also $2000.00 is plenty!

Lastcenturymum is offline I'm on a break from modding (it wont last forever ... I'll be BACK!!)
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Don't think we even had a 'budget' but beg or borrow as much as you can. My husband made the cradle, we had a pram and high chair new and everything else I think we borrowed or bought second hand. I agree about mattresses being new too.

You can save heaps of money by borrowing if you have friends with children (if they have timed them so they aren't needing items just as you need them )

I made all my sheets/covers even a nappy stacker!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would definatly buy a new carseat (not a capsule, they grow out of them too quick if you're on a budget) new cot and mattress (look on ebay) new bottles (I didn't use them, breastfed) and SOME new clothes (target is great they have regular sales). For a pram I splashed out this time and bought a Mountain buggy swift (new) but I already had cot, carseats, etc, so I could afford to. I would recommend having a play in a baby shop with prams (cos they are an item you will get alot of use out of) to see what you like (things like width, weight, steering need to be considered) and then either wait for a sale or check out ebay for a good quality second-hand pram. Changetable isn't a must-have, a change mat on the floor works fine , bassinett isn't a must have, newborn can go straight into cot. And highchair, portacot etc are items that you won't need til down the track. Baby baths are easily picked up cheaply on ebay,as are nappy bags.
    Goodluck, I think you can do it!

p.s when you go into a baby shop it's SO easy to get over-whelmed, especially first time around, but honestly most of the stuff is not needed and you will never use....I still get sucked in the second time around!
    Last edited by SnowQueen; 28-11-2009 at 00:02.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi.
    We got everything new except DD's first pram, my cousin gave me hers. My mum gave us a budget of $700 for a cot, bassinet and rocking chair, she also ended up buying me DD's carseat (birth to 18kgs) and
    my dad built DD's change table. DD is the first grandchild so my mum always buys her stuff anyway, but we don't really have
    anyone with young babies so didn't really get any hand me downs except the pram. My cousin also gave us her highchair and my mum bought one for their house aswell as a portacot. My sister made DD's nappy bag.
    The only thing I wouldn't buy second hand was a carseat unless I knew it's history, I don't think it's worth the risk on that particular item.
    Last edited by Emmi; 28-11-2009 at 00:29.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just had a thought...
    If you buy or are given a second hand pram be very careful to make sure it fits the new legal requirements of have a tether strap and red brakes. It is illegal to give or sell a pram without these and if caught out there are massive fines attached.
    I find the tether strap comes in very handy especially in dangerous areas.

Eco Goddess is offline Loving life under the Bodhi tree!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    We didnt really set a budget...we are usually pretty responsible spenders anyway. So far we've spent:

* Cot - $599 (was $899 so that was good!)
    * Carseat - $299 (although MIL bought for us)
    * Pram - $255 (although mum bought for us)
    * Timber Wardrobe - $300
    * Timber chest of drawers - $300
    * MCN's - aboout $1000 (but will last us for this bub and any others from birth to TT)
    * Mattress and protectors - about $120

We really dont have much more we need though... we are borrowing a change table, just need a mat, we have my timber cradle from when I was a bub, we are going to by a sling and then its just little bits and pieces I think.

We've been given a fair bit of stuff too which is nice.

I guess we have spent a bit on bigger items, but this is our first bub and we plan to have more and we arent big on all the plastic toys that seem to fill so many households (and landfills! - just personal opinion, not trying to guilt anyone) so we would rather by quality things that will last a long time.

Having said all that you can definitely get away with not spending a fortune!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We never really had A set budget, but new what we could afford.
    Be careful when buying 2nd hand, I am A big bargain shopper so we brought A lot second hand with my first son as DP wasn't making much money back then.
    We brought A 2nd hand pram (which we replaced soon after as we found problems with it later) Cot was brought 2nd hand, but is still in great condition and we are now using it for DS2 and lots of clothes, blankets, bedding, toys etc were 2nd hand.
    Ebay, Markets, Thrift stores are all great for picking up bargains.

Also think about if you will be having Another baby soon after, we have A 21 month gap between our boys and it would have saved me alot of mony if I first brought A pram that would accommodate 2 and didn't sell or give away A lot of DS1's stuff.