+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default What is your baby budget? Would you buy second hand things?

I'm wondering what people's budgets for baby shopping are?
    How much would you be willing to spend on things like pram, cot, car seat etc..I've seen prams for $1000 and cots for twice that which I personally think is kind of high. Actually really high.

Also did anyone buy second hand things for their baby for example from e-bay or the paper?

I'm just not sure what amount I should budget for...At the moment I'm thinking around $2000 for everything including cot, pram, bottles, sterilizer, cat seat, clothes ..etc...do you think I will make it or am I kidding myself?
    Last edited by Janesmum123; 27-11-2009 at 17:05.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    $2000 should be perfectly fine.

with DS1, i brought 99% of our stuff for him second hand. kinda upgraded to new as things werent suitable anymore. (i.e brought a 2nd hand portacot which broke when he was about 8months old. we then brought a new one and so on)

with DS2 we didnt really need anything as we had it all from DS1... all i did was brought DS1 a maxirider so DS2 could have his birth-18kg seat and a few clothes

this time, iv brought a new capsule (gotta love reduced to clear specials at target! $114!!) and a few new outfits, and a new nappy bag.

my only regret is that i didnt buy a really good pram straight up with DS1. iv brought soooo many "cheaper" prams over the years and end up regreting all of them. this time (since im having another boy and dont need anything else) is that im spending about $750 on a strider plus pram with doubles kit for bub and DS2.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok here is our list roughly lol.

Change table with built in bath $100 dollars.. second hand, from DSS Grandmother.. great condition she also through in an electric avent sterilizer and bouncer

Car seat $100 used twice from DSS grandmother, it was bought for a 2nd car but no longer needed (Oh BTW my DSS uncle is only 2 lol so these things arn't that old)

Play Gym $20 at the markets, washed up brand new.

Chest of draws where given to us second hand $0

Pram.. was 550 on special at the baby expo

Bassinette was about 125 on special at BIG W.. it is alot bigger then standard bassinettes so wil last atleast 6 months!

The last big item we need is the cot.. which I can get on ebay for brand new from a Melbourne or Sydney warehouse (Sleigh cot) for roughly 500 including postage.. they retail for 900 here in Perth!

8 Tomee Tipee closer to nature bottles brand new for 50 dollars, on special at baby expo!

I wouldn't of purchased the carseat second hand if I hadn't of known its history, where it has been etc

It is possible I think if you look around.. I dont understand why people have to have EVERYTHING brand new, but thats just me.. we are happy to accept hand me downs and have our boy in 2nd hand clothing.. the only things we need now are a few clothing items and also the small things like soaps etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey there, to me cots and materesses, car seats, bottles and teats I would only buy brand new and have for all three of my kids.... But clothes, toys, prams, porta cots and some other things i would go second hand as well as new.. But I still like to see the condition of the things before buying them if u get me...

As for a budget well I have 2 boys and having my third in feb so all the clothes i have saved a crap load of money n toys so my budget has gotten cheaper everytime so i cant exactly tell u how much... Oh i guess with the cots all my cots r the same tasman 3 in 1's they r $600 with a materess. car seat are safe sound the three of them they bout $350 to $350 as we just got ds2 a bigger seat to do him till 7 coz of the new laws... and yea havn't started on new bottles n teats...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We spent about $800 on DD when she was born. We got a second hand cot but we bought a new mattress. We already had a car seat, rocker and most toys. We got her 6 outfits and we also got a tandem pram (I hate this pram and i am now buying a new pram.) We got all her bottles new at toys r us on special for $1 a bottle( I refuse to reuse bottles that are more then a year old).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    $400 car seat, lasted 3 years then we had a car accident and bought the current Maxi Rider for $360, so far it's lasted ovr 3 years and she's still in the built in harness, so we'll get another 3 years out of it for sure.

$250 pram, lasted 4 years now my cousin has it for her 6 month old. Graco one-hand fold, easy lift, lightweight pram. Not good for walking but great for shopping.

Everything else was second hand and bought from garage sales for $3 to $5 each and these included a baby bath with stand and storage area, a bouncer, some little toys, board books, pram suitable for walking over footpaths without walking track, a play gym with overhanging toys.

My cousin bought a $300 high chair from a friend of hers for $50, it's a hi-lo chair and now she's got it for her grandson (the same one who has the pram) and is keeping it at her house.

Most of what was bought at a garage sale was then sold at another garage sale for the same as what I paid for it. Most of her clothes were from Vinnies or the Red Cross shop and donated back when we finished with them. Some were bought new, but only plain coloured wondersuits and lovely little outfits bought by others.

The baby books, toys, and bowls, spoons, cups were bought for her stocking the first year as she was 4.5 months old.

I didn't buy bottles, dummies, sterilising equipment, cot, cot mattress, etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We didn't buy second hand but have used all the big ticket items for all three kids. So nursery furniture and bedding, swing (ok that was bought for no. 2), pram (only ever had one...it was $500) car seats etc.
    It was def less expensive having DD2 but our stuff is in great con still. We probably spent $4000 all up in the beginning (including clothes etc.) and we had to buy everything and bought Boori furniture etc. so I think you could easily do it on $2000....the furniture was the bulk of our money and even brand new you can buy much cheaper than Boori.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think the most important things to buy new are-

The carseat

Any mattress used for baby

Mattress covers

and its nice to have a new going home outfit but apart from those things, if its in good condition can be boiled, sterilized, frozen, hung in the sun, bleached, cleaned, is strong, not old, not a danger and not missing any parts, then id buy it second hand (or accept hand-me-downs for sure!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Omg I'm in awe of all of you!!! (in a good way) if I was told I could only spend $2000 I would have dropped dead right there and then but you've all done so well with it!!! I rekon we spent around $5000 and that's NOT including the bassinet, pram, change table, dresser or high chair all of which were genourously brought for us!!! I'm such a fiend for getting the 'best' of everything (pls don't judge me) I just can't help myself!!! Pumpkin patch is my big weakness!!! Although I have clothes that will last till she's 2!! But again I didn't buy them all!! If your good with your money you could def get by on $2000 especially getting hand me downs!! Personally though and it is a personal decision no judgement here I would not use second hand but as I said completely personal!!

MagicalLeopluradon is offline Shun the non believer shunnnn shunnnnnn
    Thanks
    Reviews
    There is nothing wrong with buying things 2nd hand...its a personal choice. However I personally wouldn't buy the following 2nd hand: Cot, Mattress, Car Seat, bottles, teats etc

I bought everything for DS1 brand new & I am now pregnant with my 2nd DS and have bought a new cot & change table and will buy a new car seat, everything else he will inherit from DS1!

You could get buy with $2000.00. Remember you will also get the baby bonus installments (if you qualify).