+ Reply to Thread
Page 51 of 59 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Breastfeeding Beyond 12 Months Chat

Hi fellow breastfeeding mumma's!!

I haven't been on here in a while due to technical issue but now I'd really love some friendly advice/encouragement.

I'm now a mum of two and am offically tandem feeding my 21mth old ds and 8 day old dd. To say it's challenging is an understatement! I knew it would be just to have two under two but to add in the breastfeeding is soooo hard.

Ds was only feeding once at night before bed throughout my pregnancy and now he has a renewed interest which also has him showing signs of jealously and some great tantrums!

Has anyone been where I am and have any advice? I'm mainly worrying about supply/demand of feeding two and how to cope!

Stupid baby blues hormones have set in so I'm sure I will cope better once they're gone

Thanks in advance

Thanks
    Reviews

Hi milkicuddles! I am currently feeding my 22mth old and my 8 week baby. Exactly the same thing happened my ds was down to one feed a day and now is feeding so often!

The way I have done it is ds1 is only aloud to have one side, which he can have when he wants and ds2 has both sides (but mainly the other side to ds1 a it seems to have more milk). I've done that from day 1 and so far we've not had jealousy. Its now at the stage where ds1 won't even take the other side and when the baby cries he tells me that he needs boob. Have you let them feed at the same time? That may help with the jealousy issue.

Also don't worry about supply etc, your body knows what it is doing. When people hear the baby feeds mainly off one side I get looks like I'm crazy but he's still gaining weight and is happy.

It will get easier! I've just started night weaning ds1 (again!) which seems to be easier this time round. It will probably just take your eldest a few weeks to adjust to the fact there is a new baby and they aren't going anywhere and then he might be happier sharing.

Thanks
    Reviews

Also once he's over his jealousy it really is beautiful watching them feed together. Its a lovely bonding time for all of you!

Thanks
    Reviews

Thank you Lollydolly. Great advice I offered ds a boob while dd was feeding today and he wasn't interested! Mixed signals

This tandem thing is not easy! Well done for going for 8 weeks. That's awesome

Thanks
    Reviews

I hope you can find something that works for you soon!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to LollyDolly For This Useful Post:

MilkiCuddles  (21-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    i had a 21 month gap between my two too. I didn't like feeding both babies at once, and so fed them seperately always, but we are still feeding 12 months later.

I let the toddler have a bit of a milk feast for a couple of weeks before starting to set more rules again. We did 3 feeds a day for the toddler for awhile, before cutting to 2 (my decision) and then she dropped to 1 and she now feeds just at night before bed, but prob only 4 nights out of 7.

I found having 2 'babies' really hard for the first 4-6 months, but then it got really fun. i don't think breastfeeding made it any harder, but it was an extra thing to think about.

take care of yourselves, and accept help if it is offered to you.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubbles10 For This Useful Post:

MilkiCuddles  (21-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Breastfeeding Beyond 12 Months Chat

Here I am still bf my 27 mth old dd and every time I say I might wean, I just can't do it! She loves it, I love it and quite frankly Im not ready to give it up yet and neither is she!! I keep getting more and more comments from people about stopping! A few weeks ago I had really bad gastro bug and went to the dr to see if there was anything I could do. Dr prescribed something then the chemist said he wasn't sure it was safe for bf and I should probably 'lay off it anyways ' because dd was 'old enough' .... If I wasn't so sick I would have told him where to shove his pills!

Thanks
    Reviews
    So its about time I joined this thread DD is almost 19mths and shows no signs of weaning anytime soon. I heard a rumour that if bubs hasnt self weaned by about 15mths, then we are in for the long run. Is there any truth to this? DD has also become obsessive about playing with the other nipple while feeding, which I am led to believe is a way of increasing my supply? Love to hear your thoughts

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    thought I would check in, as Im not on bubhub much these days. Still breastfeeding my 21 month old. She is going well. She just had surgery to have her adenoids removed, and I was so glad she was breastfeeding still. Very easy to get fluids into her and keep her calm. We have done a lot of flying recently too and I can say that breastfeeding has been useful for going up/landing.. and getting her off to sleep. I haven't had any negative comments from anyone really to be honest. My mother in law was a bit skeptical of the idea of breastfeeding until 2 being recommended by WHO. However, she has seen how determined dd is to keep feeding and refers to her as "the boob baby" and says things like "it can't hurt" and "whatever works" which is her version of approval lol. so yep, that's us!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Look forward to joining you ladies in just a couple of days. Dd turns 1 on Monday 12mths and never been given a bottle, quite the proud mumma about that!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to michellek For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (17-03-2013)