+ Reply to Thread
Page 50 of 59 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Sorry I am no longer breastfeeding but thought I would respond.

DD4 kept feeding up until just before she started school - at which point I cut her off thinking that it was inappropriate once she had started school. I regret that decision because it was very distressing for her, and she had the occasional cry about it at 7yo. She is 11yo now and still says that she misses it but cannot remember exactly what it was like anymore, and I think she will always feel that way. If she had been able to lose interest on her own terms she likely wouldn't have that feeling of loss.

My little 4yo is my youngest and only stopped feeding about six months ago. She slowly petered off, then just when I thought she was stopping, restarted with renewed vigor, then petered off again. This cycle repeated several times until she finally lost interest all together.

So sorry but I no longer qualify for this thread, but thought I would add my experiences for you.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to sweetseven For This Useful Post:

demeter  (11-02-2013)

demeter is offline Breastfeeding since 2008, tandem since 2010 (Free Breastfeeding Support: 1800 686 2 686)
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks for sharing Sweetseven, well done on feeding as long as you did with both.
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetseven View Post
    DD4 kept feeding up until just before she started school - at which point I cut her off thinking that it was inappropriate once she had started school. I regret that decision because it was very distressing for her, and she had the occasional cry about it at 7yo. She is 11yo now and still says that she misses it but cannot remember exactly what it was like anymore, and I think she will always feel that way. If she had been able to lose interest on her own terms she likely wouldn't have that feeling of loss.
    Special thanks for sharing this, gosh it must be hard some days. I really thank-you because I've kept at it this whole time wondering if something like this might happen if I tried weaning. During the really challenging times my mantra was "no regrets". At the moment the 2 year old is more challenging because she's two and doesn't do "no" or "wait a minute". The good thing is that because I've done this before I know it passes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Re: Breastfeeding Beyond 12 Months Chat

Omg I just realised in a month ill be part of this "group" again. 0.0

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm still here. Bub is 2&1/2yo. Mostly feeds morning and night plus if upset or unsure. My mother pressured me to stop by I said that's up to me n bub, not her or anyone else.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Breastfeeding Beyond 12 Months Chat

Hi everyone, still breastfeeding my 16 mo DS on demand (so a fair bit!) Have just noticed that I've started getting the "so how long are you going to bf for?" comments.. I usually just do a spiel about the WHO recommendations

Missy_Mack all the best with your surgery, I can understand your worries about your little one not having you there for sleep time x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Hey everyone! DS is coming up to 22 months and I have to say I am totally proud to still be feeding him! I get those comments too MissRose, I normally just reply with "oh, we'll see how we go!" MissieMack - good luck with your op, I am sure DD will be okay, better than if you were actually at home but not able to feed, if that makes any sense!

demeter is offline Breastfeeding since 2008, tandem since 2010 (Free Breastfeeding Support: 1800 686 2 686)
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow look at this thread to all you 12m+ Mummas.

Good luck with the surgery missie_mack I can imagine how all those worries must play on your heart and mind, hopefully it goes really smoothly and you recover fast

To everyone coming up against comments and questions about when you're stopping like MissRose mentioned, quoting the WHO guidelines usually gives pause. There's a great article you can find online by Sarah Buckley called "The pleasure of extended breastfeeding" that has some more info on the importance of long term breastfeeding to child health and development...I think it's from there or possibly the ABA or LLL websites I learned some handy quotable facts if ever it comes up.

I have found that people are too scared to say anything once your kid goes past a certain age now 4yr old and I just scare people. My family were really good about getting used to it and not saying anything and I think it was helpful for my sisters to see that it can be done and it doesn't warp the child or ruin the mother's life which helps them make more informed choices when their time came/comes.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to demeter For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (13-02-2013),RobinSparkles  (12-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DD is 33 months and breastfeeds before bed at night most days. My DS is 12.5 months and breastfeeding.

Noone really asks me about my older one anymore. They either assume she has weaned or if they know she hasn't they just ignore it.

My Mum has asked a few times how long i think the baby will feed for. pffft, how would i know? i don't know when the older one will stop.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Re: Breastfeeding Beyond 12 Months Chat

I found that too - a lot more comments between 1-2 years than between 2-3.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Huge thumbs up for all the breastfeeding mums!!! My DD is 19 months & we're not planning on stopping anytime soon... She's fed on demand. I usually get the"your STILL feeding her!!!!!" I just say yep she hasn't started school yet lol. I'm proud to be still feeding, it's such a beautiful bond. Will miss it so much when she weans..