+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 59 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Keep going Nomsie!

demeter is offline Breastfeeding since 2008, tandem since 2010 (Free Breastfeeding Support: 1800 686 2 686)
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Nomsie, to be breastfeeding twins is such a victory these days, so to be breastfeeding twins beyond 12 months if friggin' AWESOME!
    It's sad about the pressure to wean you're getting, I'm glad we've got this thread to support each other. And what a great education you are giving those in your life who aren't familiar with breastfeeding. You're planting seeds of info and they probably don't realise it but somewhere down the track they'll probably find themselves telling others about a woman they know who was able to breastfeed twins beyond 12 months and inspire others who had no idea that was possible Very cool.

Quote Originally Posted by zenifa View Post
    I mean, I am not expressing or doing anything to the right breast, so I'm assuming the milk is just drying up there but still producing milk in the left breast?? She feeds about twice per day off the left breast and there is definitely some milk in both!!
    Your breasts work independently of each other. It's all about the stimulation that happens on the breast/areola during a feed, that leads to milk production. So if both breasts are getting some stimulation from your daughter suckling then you should have milk in both It is possible for one to dry up if it's not being used while the other one remains a plentiful source of milk, but if your DD is using both it's unlikely to happen.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm still feeding my 13 month old dd & don't plan on stopping anytime soon. I'm the only person im my imediate family to breastfeed & I'm actually quite proud of myself & dd.

Mrs Molly Coddle is offline I've admitted in writing that veve is awesome - eeek she has proof!!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    So you should be, becca!

Count me in for a chat. I'm BFing DS on demand. He'll be 18 months in a couple of days!!

We had a pretty good start. I was pretty sore and weeped every time he latched on for a few weeks but I refuted the tin of formula my Mum had bought for 'emergencies' every time and here we are!! Have had mastitis a few times, had an oversupply so bubs had GREEN POO for weeks and I had no idea why. Ah.. the joy. Currently have a sore healing from a recent late night bite. Wouldn't change it for the world

I've only recently started to get some criticism for it. I posted on here not long ago saying a GP suggested I wean as he had lost some weight from being sick. Since that, I've had LOTS of pressure to wean from family and it's not a good feeling (as I'm sure many of you know!)

Anyway. That's us and "hello" and congrats to you all on a truly remarkable breastfeeding effort.
    I ordered a book on breastfeeding into toddler years this morning. Can't wait for it to arrive.

demeter is offline Breastfeeding since 2008, tandem since 2010 (Free Breastfeeding Support: 1800 686 2 686)
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Welcome to all the new bf beyond 12 month chatters!

I have a question for those of you who have been doing this longer than I. I am finding that lately DD is not getting a great latch most of the time. It's painful and she has a mighty suck so it's hard to remove her. Do you find that the latch gets bad over time? I was wondering if maybe it has something to do with their changing mouths/teeth? Or is my DD getting slack and needs some encouragement to latch properly?

And those of you whose menstrual cycles have returned. Do you find your breasts become more sensitive in the week leading into your new cycle? That could be a contributing factor...
    Last edited by demeter; 04-12-2009 at 09:43.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lambkin View Post
    I ordered a book on breastfeeding into toddler years this morning. Can't wait for it to arrive.
    Glad you got a hold of that book! and welcome

Demeter I find DS1 hoovers like a dyson on superduper high speed he has gotten worse with his attachment too, sometimes I get huge top teeth marks but I find he is better if I tell him to open wide "AHHH" that helped a lot, I know I got slack with paying attention to what he was doing (to busy making sure DS2 wasn't going to bite my whole nipple off!). I do notice some sensitivity, but as my bleed is not regular I don't connect the two until my bleed actually starts IYKWIM.

TBH I am over breastfeeding this week

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hello everyone.

You aren't pregnant are you Demeter?

I find sometimes lately I can feel Danny's teeth which is an awful feeling.. I think he may be teething as he has bitten a few times today, always a sign of teething.

It's awful when he is latched on badly, because as soon as I jam my finger in his mouth to try and dislodge him, he starts to bite down hard... so it's a competition between us - can he bite me before I get a finger in :S

Little baby sucks are soo much nicer!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Maire View Post
    You aren't pregnant are you Demeter?
    it's not that, I checked.

I think I just need to take more repsonsibility and get her off when it hurts. I tend to take the path of least resistence which means just gritting my teeth through pain and leaving her attached poorly. She sucks sooo hard, it's a real effort to gently remove her!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm SO glad I found this thread!! I'm Emily and my little lad Noah is 13 months this week. Still breastfeeding (obviously haha), although its only twice a day now usually and the second feed is usually over in a flash as he isnt overly interested these days I've been having issues with supply for AGES and I think my right breast has pretty much completely dried out. If I put Noah on it, he sucks for like 10 seconds and then pulls off and refuses to go back on. So I tend to just stick to the left side now. If I try and express some its just a dribble, like someone said earlier, its a bit like colostrum quantity wise.

Noah has been a star feeder from day 1. As soon as he was born within five minutes he was feeding like a pro which was great. Had MAJOR issues with pain in the first few weeks, as most probably do, with a lot of bleeding and toe curling and late night sobbing. My milk didnt come in till day 7 so they made me top him up with formula at the hospital as he was quite badly jaundiced and basically told me my child would get seriously ill if I didnt. That was REALLY hard for me and I was devastated. Sitting there watching someone shove a bottle in his mouth whilst I sat there feeling like a failure was quite seriously one of the saddest moments of my life. I was so passionate and determined so It was a real kick in the guts. Anyway, as soon as we walked in the door at home, I threw all the formula and bottles in the bin and said they can get stuffed. I knew Noah would be fine (mothers instinct) and I knew that if I kept going with the formula I could pretty much kiss breastfeeding goodbye. All went very well for a few weeks till I lost a large amount of weight in a very small space of time (I think about 8 kilos in 1.5 weeks). This majorly affected my supply and I went into panic mode. Ate a mountain's worth of lactation cookies (I think that made me put all the weight back on ) and fenugreek, water etc. Sadly though, my supply has never really been the same ever since. I got it back up but not to what it was, though this has never really been of huge detriment. Anyway fast forward to now, I think I've babbled enough. I've always said I want to get to 18 months, if I get to at least that point I will be happy, If he goes longer then great. However, I'm really not feeling overly optimistic at this stage, I think we might hit 18 months, well I hope, but I cant see him going much longer. He just isnt interested like he used to be, it seems more like a hassle to him iykwim. He's a real piggy and loves his food, is also incredibly active, so his morning feed is really the only time he has a proper kind of feed and even then its only about 5-10 minutes and he's over it. Could also be coz there isnt a lot there anymore, I dunno.

I've also started giving him a bottle of organic cows milk at night as its the only way he will go off to sleep happily. If I try and feed him to sleep he just gets annoyed that there isnt anything really there and it turns into him having a hissy fit and me feeling stressed about it. It would be nice to still be able to feed him off to sleep but I persisted for so long and there was nothing that was helping my supply so I kind of just accepted it, I just feel lucky I still get my lovely morning and afternoon cuddles

Anyway I really need to stop blabbing just wanted to introduce myself. Have loved reading everyones stories

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Em, we are at the same stage with Samara being the same age as Noah. Samara has stopped feeding now much to my horror but she is happy and thriving I wanted to feed past 13 months but she just wasnt intereseted. since she has stopped I havent had one drop of milk or any sign there is milk there so I think supply was her issue too.