ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 46 of 59 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MsMummy View Post
    Now that there are so many breastfeeding experts on one thread , can anybody tell me if starting fenugreek means that I'll have to keep taking it.

I have to express while I'm at work (4 days a week), but I'm finding that I'm getting close to running short of milk.

I have no supply issues for when I'm at home, but I need to increase it a bit for the sake of pumping.

But will it wreak havoc if I stopped taking it or something?

I've already tried other lactogenic foods but I think I need something a bit stronger.
    Hi MsMummy

I bf'd DS until he was 17 months. I took fenugreek on and off when I felt my supply was decreasing and it worked wonders (but another friend took it and found it had no effect).

From memory, I took several tablets a day (whatever my MCHN recommended as a dose that would actually have an effect without being too much). When I felt I didn't need it any more, I kind of weaned myself of a tablet every day or so s my body could get used to doing it on its own again.

Word of warning though - its kind of like eating lots of garlic. I started to sweat it out. I couldn't work out why my deodorant was smelling so sour (sorry, not trying to give TMI!), but I eventually worked it out! My DH claimed he couldn't notice anything, but I don't know...

Thanks
    Reviews
    I finally qualify for this thread I've been stalking it for ages and now I can be a member of this special group!

Feeling a bit lost at the moment. Our goal was 12mths and now that we are here I'm not sure where we will go from here. I have no plans to wean him, I don't think I could even if I tried unless I wanted to start WW3! But after already getting LOADS of "So how long are you actually going to feed for" I feel kind of lost I think I should just set another goal and aim for that! 18mths sounds nice Obviously it all depends on my little guy!

Anyway, I look forward to being able to participate here. There are less and less people who understand extended breastfeeding IRL the longer I feed

Yay me!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MilkiCuddles View Post
    I finally qualify for this thread I've been stalking it for ages and now I can be a member of this special group!

Feeling a bit lost at the moment. Our goal was 12mths and now that we are here I'm not sure where we will go from here. I have no plans to wean him, I don't think I could even if I tried unless I wanted to start WW3! But after already getting LOADS of "So how long are you actually going to feed for" I feel kind of lost I think I should just set another goal and aim for that! 18mths sounds nice Obviously it all depends on my little guy!

Anyway, I look forward to being able to participate here. There are less and less people who understand extended breastfeeding IRL the longer I feed

Yay me!
    Congratulations MC! I agree, one of the hardest things is dealing with people's comments and disapproval. I just tell people I'm going to feed him until he doesn't want it anymore. The "average" age of self weaning is apparently between 2 and 3 yo (I could be wrong on that) and I used to think I would force weaning before school, but now (bub is 21mo) I am even more committed to self weaning and frankly don't care if he is at school or not. I think at some point I'll stop demand feeding and only feed morning and night, but I don't know when this point will come

4. The Following User Says Thank You to lulululu For This Useful Post:

MilkiCuddles  (15-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm wondering if any of you ladies have a drop in supply when you get your period? I started another thread but I thought some of you might be able to help? Any advice about what you do to combat it would be gratefully received.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Sorry, I haven't had a period yet... Is that normal at 16 months?

**Mum, Dad, Big boy (Dec 08) and Baby girl (Feb 11)**

Thanks
    Reviews
    Am I welcome? I've successfully reintroduced breastmilk to my 17mo (15mo when I started) as she self weaned at 11.5 months due to me being 20+ weeks pregnant. However she wont take the breast so I express and give it to her in a cup/bottle. Since swapping out most of the cows milk for breastmilk I've noticed such a huge improvement in her... Namely she has always been a good solids eater but over the last few months she slowed right down and started becoming fussy but since switching over to BM she has we appetite back as will eat absolutely everything I make her now - including steamed broccoli which she's never liked

Only downside I've noticed which must be a big positive for her is her poop is really super soft now... It changed the first night I started and it's pretty yuck lol starting to TT her next month though.

Anyway hope I'm welcome even though im not breastfeeding technically

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    That is awesome Stumbleine!

My 26 month old breastfeeds and got all the newborn milk when my 4 month old was born, and yep the poop was pretty gross. i think it is still softer than a non-breastfeeding toddlers but not as bad (for me) as when baby was new.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubbles10 For This Useful Post:

Stumbleine  (11-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumbleine View Post
    Am I welcome? I've successfully reintroduced breastmilk to my 17mo (15mo when I started) as she self weaned at 11.5 months due to me being 20+ weeks pregnant. However she wont take the breast so I express and give it to her in a cup/bottle. Since swapping out most of the cows milk for breastmilk I've noticed such a huge improvement in her... Namely she has always been a good solids eater but over the last few months she slowed right down and started becoming fussy but since switching over to BM she has we appetite back as will eat absolutely everything I make her now - including steamed broccoli which she's never liked

Only downside I've noticed which must be a big positive for her is her poop is really super soft now... It changed the first night I started and it's pretty yuck lol starting to TT her next month though.

Newborn breastmilk has lots of laxatives in it to help move the merconium through. Things should settle down soon on the poo front, it's a tempoary thing. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumbleine View Post

Well done Stumbleine!! I remember your thread about reintroducing bm to your bub and so happy that it's going well and obviously benefiting your gorgeous little girl!!

So fantastic

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Milki Im pretty proud of my efforts!