ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 59 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Did anyone start feeding their older toddler once the new bub came? I just finished feeding DD2 about a month or so ago cause I lost my milk to morning sickness. so sad I really wanted to tandem feed and sleep time is a night mare!!! She's asked for booba a few times but basically kisses it like she has forgotten what to do? Sorry to crash!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    to shinebrite - the answer is yes - but it was due to a very determined toddler.

DD4 never wanted to give up, but I forced the issue well before bub was due because I didn't know about tandem feeding and didn't want to risk the older child being jealous of bub.

However, when DD5 was tiny, I accidentally tripped DD4 and she got hurt. I asked her if there was anything I could do to help her feel better and she asked for a breastfeed. That is how I started tandem feed DD4 & DD5. DD5 selfweaned first, and DD4 kept feeding until a I stopped her again, a few months before she was due to start school. She missed it and still cried about it at 7yo. Now 10yo she still expresses remorse about not being able to breastfeed anymore and is happy to see DD7 feeding.
    Last edited by sweetseven; 10-06-2011 at 11:13.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks for sharing sweet seven. I didn't realise kids would want to feed for so long. I'm planning to let bub wean when he wants to, but I'll probably encourage weaning if he's getting to school age and no sign of stopping. In retrospect would you have done anything different with your daughter now you know she cried at 7 yo?
    Also, I notice a lot of people say their partners pressured them to wean. Can anyone share the reasons they feel their partners did this?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lululu I watch this thread, but DD is still 2 wks of turning 1 lol. My DH has said he thinks feeding till 2 is 'wrong' but I put him in his place and said I will feed till DD decides to stop. I think his opinion is influenced by family though, MIL expected me to stop feeding at 6 months and I think DH gets alot of wrong advice from her that I shouldn't be still feeding.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lulululu View Post
    Also, I notice a lot of people say their partners pressured them to wean. Can anyone share the reasons they feel their partners did this?
    xh wanted me to stop because bf ing kept me from focusing on him and stopped me from partying with him but dp now just leaves all decisions up to me no judgments from him or his family , but I think it's because this if my second time around

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just ace and mother of four, thanks for sharing. I am starting to feel a bit of pressure from others to stop, little comments like "he doesn't NEED it anymore" And bub is only 10 months, and I'm trying to understand WHY people are uncomfortable with extended feeding.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Bubhub Blogger
    the pressure is frustrating to say the least.

I'm really going to have to just start saying 'has no-one taught you the scientifically proven benefits of feeding til 2 or older?'
    Really say it like if i thought everyone knew... Have you been hiding under a rock.

In the mean time ds is now 18 months. He still drinks ebm at daycare and when he's with daddy. And now i've moved he now get's breastfed on a new trainline on the way to work!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lululu I think alot of it is lack of education about breastfeeding. the double standards drive me crazy though, why is it ok for a baby to have a bottle up to like 4 years of age but as soon as bubs hits 6 months everyone has their opinion that they are too old, they don't need it, it's wrong blah blah blah. My DD is 1 next year and not a big fan of solids so IMO yes she does definitely still need it, but even if she was getting lots of nutrients from food why would I take off her something that provides so much comfort, and gives her all those extras that you can't get from food!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lulululu View Post
    Thanks for sharing sweet seven. I didn't realise kids would want to feed for so long. I'm planning to let bub wean when he wants to, but I'll probably encourage weaning if he's getting to school age and no sign of stopping. In retrospect would you have done anything different with your daughter now you know she cried at 7 yo?
    The only thing I would've done different is not forcabily weaning her just before 2yo. That was uneccessary stress for her, and I'm glad I corrected my mistake several months down the track.

The other thing I considered was giving her EBM as an older child, but I've always had great difficulty expressing so it is really not viable for me. If I had a good supply then I probably would.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies. It's so good to have the insights of those who have "been there" before I myself venture into this territory.
    I hope to feed until at least 2 or as close to 2 as I can. I suspect I will have a lot of issues, particularly from my parents, and I will be dropping back in here for more advice. I hope you kindly ladies will still be here then.
    One other question : ABA has a pamphlet "especially for grandparents" I was thinking of buying for my mum. It's only $5. Has anyone read it? If so, did you find it helpful?