ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 59 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast
    bgbgbb is offline To think, I was only going to have 1 child!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    That's why the bedtime feeds are always the last to go!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hello! I want to join in, but my daughter is just 10 months old. I plan on feeding her until 2 years -- and it is GREAT to hear about other mothers doing the same (or even better!). I went through a phase of not enjoying it so much, but now I am really enjoying the time together when she feeds.

I am living in Israel and it is very unusual here for women to breastfeed past 3 or 6 months. I am coming out of my shell though and really telling people when they ask that I plan on continuing to breastfeed as long as she wants. It is great to just get the message out there to other mums who are surrounded by people telling them what they should and shouldn't do!

Go breastfeeders!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    wow all these amazing mummys! dd and i are at 21 months breastfeeding. its going well. somedays she has 1 feed and others 4 or 5. i am truly amazed at my bodies ability! x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thought i would touch base again and say hi. DS is 14months and is still going.
    He has been refusing solids for 4 weeks now so is bf only again he has 9 teeth with the rest of the molars and eye teeth trying to come through- all excruciatingly slowly for him poor bub. We still feed upto 10 times a day.
    Mchn wanted to see him again this week as imentioned hewas off solids. Sheisnot bf supportive and was insisting he would be loosing weight rapidly. He weighed in at an additional 650 grams in 4 weeks and a healthy 12.6 kgs.

For those worried about teeth, if latch isgood u dont really feel them at all. If they bite put them down and say no biting. After trying this 3 times at about 5 months old DS decided boob was Much better than biting. I didnt really have much time to get used to no teeth though. Ds cut his top 2 just before 3 months old.

On a sad note i have lost a friend today. We have been friends for years and today she asked how bfing was going, then asked if it felt incestuous to still be feeding DS. Needless to say i said no and was horrified at hersuggestion and sad her mind was twisted enough to think that. We argued, she said i was abusing my son by feeding still so friendship over.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babybabycakes View Post
    Thought i would touch base again and say hi. DS is 14months and is still going.
    He has been refusing solids for 4 weeks now so is bf only again he has 9 teeth with the rest of the molars and eye teeth trying to come through- all excruciatingly slowly for him poor bub. We still feed upto 10 times a day.
    Mchn wanted to see him again this week as imentioned hewas off solids. Sheisnot bf supportive and was insisting he would be loosing weight rapidly. He weighed in at an additional 650 grams in 4 weeks and a healthy 12.6 kgs.

For those worried about teeth, if latch isgood u dont really feel them at all. If they bite put them down and say no biting. After trying this 3 times at about 5 months old DS decided boob was Much better than biting. I didnt really have much time to get used to no teeth though. Ds cut his top 2 just before 3 months old.

On a sad note i have lost a friend today. We have been friends for years and today she asked how bfing was going, then asked if it felt incestuous to still be feeding DS. Needless to say i said no and was horrified at hersuggestion and sad her mind was twisted enough to think that. We argued, she said i was abusing my son by feeding still so friendship over.
    Yes I think it's the lazy attachment.

I can't believe your friend said that when you buns is still so young and it is recommended that we bf till they are at least 2.

Terrible !!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

WOW actually SUPER WOW she clearly needs to educate herself before spouting off. The world average is 4 yrs....it is as far from incestuous as you can get.

Oh and my DD did a stint of food refusal too, if i remember correctly she was cutting her molars at the time too and prefered to suck than chew, which no doubt made her gums ache. I am sure it will pass and bub will cut down on some feeds. My DD who is 3 shortly would feed 10 times a day if i let her!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I started getting the occasional bite when DD's top and bottom teeth came through at 15 months. She learnt pretty quickly though that a bite means the end of a feed so she doesn't do it any more! Either that, or my nipples are now so tough I don't feel it

Just wanted to pop in as well and tell everyone about a fantastic comment I got from a doctor last week. I've been getting a bit bogged down in negative comments about feeding DD for 17 months (so far) so it came just in time! DD was 12 weeks prem so establishing breastfeeding was a HUGE job for us including NG feeding and expressing for six months. I want to feed her for as long as she wants it.

Anyways, DD had a big growth and development appointment at the hospital last week that goes for a couple of hours. She did an amazing job, we were initially told she wouldn't catch up developmentally until she was at least 3 due to her prematurity. At the end of the appointment the doctor told us that she looks like she has already caught up at 17 months! He then said "She's certainly a happy girl, isn't she! The breastfed ones are always like this." I almost kissed the man.

I have now been given a comeback for anyone who has an opinion on whether or not I should still be feeding my girl!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to leishi For This Useful Post:

OurLittleBlessing  (17-01-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Omg, what a rude person, does she have kids, if not maybe one day she will understand the bond between a mother and child while breastfeeding! You are doing a wonderful thing!

My dd is now 15 months, I think my milk supply is Lower though, she seems to really squeeze my boob during every feed, she usually has 3 feeds a day none at night so we have gone the opposite way to most kids!
    We don't mention breastfeeding to anyone to be honest, the other day we were at a friends house and she always has a big drink before her morning nap I said I was going to feed her and they were surprised to hear she was still feeding, and we see these people every weekend!
    Now that number two is on the way my family and good friends that know we still feed tell me that I would like a break between babies which annoys the hell outta me!! I know how I feel!!!
    Sorry for the rant!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    [QUOTE=leishi; At the end of the appointment the doctor told us that she looks like she has already caught up at 17 months! He then said "She's certainly a happy girl, isn't she! The breastfed ones are always like this." I almost kissed the man.

Maybe this is the reason dd is so happy. I'm not such a happy person and a lot has gone on this past year including separating from fob and yet dd always smiling she begets cries sometimes it's sickening. Lol especially since my dad and step mum have been telling me she should be off the b00b since she was 3 months sigh

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's funny
    How people treat extended breastfeeding. I don't mention anything about breastfeeding to
    My husbands family as they think it is 'wrong'. Apparently DD has teeth, therefore she should not be still breastfeeding.

So if we ever go there or they come here I feed before so we don't have to be 'awkward' about it or if she wants a feed I'll go 'hide' somewhere with her.

It shouldn't be like that at all.