+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 59 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    my ds is 22 months, still going strong, only issue is whenever he see's women he starts running in circles saying "titty titty titty".. a trend he may well keep throughout life

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh oh count me in
    Still breastfeeding my 2 year old and he is pretty much an addict .... He looks at Daddy points at my chest and says 'Daddy, my boowy' its so cute! The other day I had to go bra shopping, we walked in the aisles and his eyes lit up, he was pointing at all the bras shouting 'boowies, boowies' at the top of his little lungs
    I have thought about weaning on and off, and I don't know when it will happen, if Ill do it, or if Ill wait till he decides at the moment we are both pretty content! I love the instant soothing affect it has, it doesn't matter how upset or how much he has hurt himself, the moment he gets his boowies, he is happy, he will smile at me through his eyelashes feeling all better and relieved!
    Its just so precious

demeter is offline Breastfeeding since 2008, tandem since 2010 (Free Breastfeeding Support: 1800 686 2 686)
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunnygal View Post
    The other day I had to go bra shopping, we walked in the aisles and his eyes lit up, he was pointing at all the bras shouting 'boowies, boowies' at the top of his little lungs

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnygal View Post
    I love the instant soothing affect it has
    The other day I was wondering to myself if maybe toddler tantrums are so awful because our culture isn't into full-term/sustained breastfeeding? Maybe tots are naturally just not ready to deal with all the emotions they have at that age and need breastfeeding to help them stay calm as they learn how to express all the new feelings and thoughts they don't have words for? I do feel that in some respects our society expects our children to grow up much faster than is natural to them.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to demeter For This Useful Post:

ScubaGal  (05-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by demeter View Post
    Leisa21 that sounds really challenging, emotionally I'm sorry to hear you've been feeling rejected (I suspect I'll feel similarly when our time comes too). Have you considered ringing the ABA helpline just to debrief these feelings and get some recognition from a listening ear at all the great BFing you've done? They'd be stoked to get a call from a mama breastfeeding at 23 months!

Our of curiosity, Leisa21, what has been happening with your supply since Aidan's dropped his feeding regularity?

Oh and I am SO glad someone else goes to the loo naked and lets their tot wander in. I was worried I'd come across like a total freak for that comment LOL
    Thanks It has been a huge challenge but from the help of my awesome hubby and family (and ABA of course) I've managed to turn it into a positive. ABA were fantastic, no one told me to just get over it and let him wean (heard that many of times from friends). I've cried and cried, I've mourned with my husband and my mother. My mother was very sad as she used to love to watch me feed DS as it reminded her of feeding us . Which bonded her with DS so much, she kept saying every time she held him when he was young she had an overwhelming feeling of wanting to feed him.

I've felt it too, I've nursed other babies and I think they smell me, even if they're bottle fed as the end up sucking on my shirt . I stop them and give them to their Mum but I really have this urge to feed them - I never would without permission because I know how people are these days and that's fine but yeah it's a hard thing to fight.

Now my supply is almost all gone. It stayed strong through it all but the last few months it's all but dried up . If I try and express some in the shower I can get some out but it looks more like colostrum than milk. Without giving away too much and going into TMI but DH said they're still sweet . DS still tells me they're yummy milky boobies, which makes me want to cry but I'm pretty sure there's not much there. I haven't had a let down in a while and I would take a guess and say even with DS sucking for 10 mins he wouldn't be getting much.

Haha, I'm a total nudie and everywhere I got DS goes so yanno that includes the loo. It took my hubby a while to get used to DS coming in the loo with him but now he doesn't mind. His family are such private people so he found it a bit confronting but his urge to have an open loving relationship with our son has over powered those feelings .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would so like to be here but my 13mo has other ideas. It has nearly been 2 weeks since her last breast feed and she still doesnt want a bar of it Wahhhhhhhhh!!!!
    I cant express and have no leaks or engorgement or anything so Im guessing my supply was running on empty.

Whispers is offline Ocupation: Mother of 3, yes it's job, one of the hardest and one of the greatest.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kezzaskids View Post
    I would so like to be here but my 13mo has other ideas. It has nearly been 2 weeks since her last breast feed and she still doesnt want a bar of it Wahhhhhhhhh!!!!
    I cant express and have no leaks or engorgement or anything so Im guessing my supply was running on empty.

If it makes you feel any better I would happily give you my 23mth old to breastfeed she drives me crazy and can only pray for the day she says no more

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    You can be here, even if it's just for support to get through it. It might not be over yet, trust me! I've gone through the ups and downs since DS was 12 months old. I wrote my story somewhere here but it was probably nearly a year ago now. He would go through breast strikes and I tired to keep my supply by hand expressing the the shower or expressing into his food which gave him some BM and kept me going.

I guess I was lucky in that I didn't dry up and even now while there is barely anything there I can still get something out. I think I'll be one of those women that will lactate forever. Call ABA they were so wonderful to me, I'll never forget the chats we had. Also try spending time with your little one skin to skin, in the bath, shower on the couch etc. This might help her find her way back on. If all else fails I'll tell you something my Mum told me, another thing I'll be forever grateful for.

You've done something wonderful, you fed every day and night, all day, all night. You never said no, even when you wanted to, he demand fed and did it hourly for 6 months. You're an inspiration to many women and all your Aunties have said how amazing and selfless you are. Aidan has had enough, he's finshed because he's ready, he's fniished because you gave him everything.

Of course she fully supported me trying to re establish BF but this advice got me through the hard times. It made me realise that even if he never goes back I think about what she said. Hope she comes back full steam ahead and if she doesn't then I hope you find some peace in my Mums advice.

munchkin05 is offline just me, my boy and my baby bump
    Thanks
    Reviews
    so many mummys feeding beyond the 12mth mark

ds was 3 years and 6mths when he decided himself that it was time

i bawled like a baby and even now that its coming up for the 1 year anniversary i get a bit teary ... but in the end it was probley the right time as he was starting school the next month

demeter is offline Breastfeeding since 2008, tandem since 2010 (Free Breastfeeding Support: 1800 686 2 686)
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you rung ABA? I suggest it coz it's what I would do. It's common for bubs to go on a nursing strike around that age, but with encouragement they'll usually come back with a veageance

Here are some links about nursing strikes that might be of use:http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...ml#linksstrike
    http://www.llli.org/NB/NBstrikes.html

Quote Originally Posted by Leisa21 View Post
    TMy mother was very sad as she used to love to watch me feed DS as it reminded her of feeding us . Which bonded her with DS so much, she kept saying every time she held him when he was young she had an overwhelming feeling of wanting to feed him.

I've felt it too, I've nursed other babies and I think they smell me, even if they're bottle fed as the end up sucking on my shirt . I stop them and give them to their Mum but I really have this urge to feed them - I never would without permission because I know how people are these days and that's fine but yeah it's a hard thing to fight.
    Oh yes! I get that too. It's amazing how strong that urge is!

munchkin05 way to go on the 3.5

Oblena is offline I've done it in public and I'll do it again - I don't care who sees!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies, glad you liked the poem

I'd love to read ones that you guys write for your bubbas

I agree though - that a support group is needed. so often you hear - how old is she? Oh? etc etc

It's a bit off putting

I also found that I was getting more and more annoyed with feeding my DD, she seemed so possessive of me and my body abd I felt so trapped in the, it was a postive and negative thing for me