+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 59 1231151 ... LastLast
    demeter is offline Breastfeeding since 2008, tandem since 2010 (Free Breastfeeding Support: 1800 686 2 686)
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Breastfeeding Beyond 12 Months Chat

C'mon, I could use a chat thread with other Mamas who are breastfeeding older kids Who's in?

Sooo breastfeeding walking, talking, shirt-unbuttoning kids...how's that working out for others?

When we got to 16 months it got frustrating. I was sick of getting kicked in the face and the constant off and on milisecond feeds Something I found really hard was my aversion to breastfeeding her at 18 months. I soildiered through but it wasn't easy...and I found that a lot of people were keen to suggest weaning when I did seek support (and usually other breastfeeders ).

I found once we got to 19-20 months I got past my aversion and breastfeeding has been easy since.

We still demand feed, though I don't mind asking her to wait or hop off before she's done if it's convenient (ie. walking into the bathroom and getting a latch because I'm on the loo and my breasts are therefore in her reach is one of those times I might say "honey, can we wait until I come back to the lounge room", though she will quite adamently reply "NO!" ).

Right now I am really enjoying breastfeeding. I love the gazing into each others eyes that happens during feeds, the intimacy of it. We seem to have some of our best exchanges during feeds, she pauses to tell me about the things she loves (like her toes or my nose lol). I can't imagine weaning her and I daresay I will be sad when she weans herself, but at this rate it won't be for a while.

She goes to sleep on the breast and I appreciate the breaks this gives me throughout the day (she naps once or twice during the day and then goes down for her all-night sleep sometime after 9pm).

There is also something satisfying about reaching a new breastfeeding milestone each month.

For her 2nd birthday we are planning an owl themed party to celebrate reaching the WHO guideline's 2 year minimum breastfeeding I'll post the invites and other owl themed stuff when we get onto it (still a couple months off).

Soooo...other booby people, tell us about your breastfeeding relationship beyond 12 months....

Oblena is offline I've done it in public and I'll do it again - I don't care who sees!
    Thanks
    Reviews

My BFing relationship just ended about 2 weeks ago, my daughter was three. I wrote this poem to celebrate the relationship, and hope that she finds joy in the knowledge that she is very dear to me.

The conversations are real

Consanguinity

I had met you before.
    There you sat - patiently waiting until I was ready.

But you wouldn't remember that.

I knew you were coming.

I listened for you.

Mama, I am here now, hello.

Do you remember that?

Mama, are you happy?

I touch you, smell you; miss you every day.

Hand to face, eye to eye.

Yes, I am happy.

Was it the same for me and my mother?

I can't remember.

I was always alone.

With you there is no loneliness.

What do you remember?

This.

Your hand reaches to me.

You.

I could be with you whenever I wanted.

An unremitting bond.

(Consanguinity - being from the same kinship as another person)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I am still feeding my 21 month old on demand too, sadly she is feeding like a newborn through the night but occasionally has been sleeping longer than 3 hours!

I was pretty similar to you also at around the 18 month mark. I just wanted my boobs back! But now i am still happy for them to be bubs.

Today hubby was off work so i spent 8 hours away from bub, went to the movies, went shopping, ate everything i wanted without having to share it was fun, but what was more fun was coming home to my bub saying "mummy 'ome Booby??" was very cute.

My eldest DD was fed till around 3. Fed on demand till 2 and at night for bed for a year after. I copped alot of flak as i was a younger mum and it was quite 'hippy like' to do so 12 years ago!

I think around 18 months well meaningful do gooders try to sabotage breastfeeding relationships and we in turn build negativity towards breastfeeding without the intention of doing so. Then the further we get, the more proud we are so we defend our rights to feed!

Only thing that drives me insane is when i am shopping and bub refuses to sit in the trolley and screams BOOBIE ME BOOBIE ME BOOBIE till i get her out of the trolley! She seems to know she will get her way if she mentions boobie in a high pitch voice!

I have no shame in feeding my baby, or should i say toddler. I think its great i still feed her, i am proud of our special relationship, i get stoked i can calm her by feeding her, i am proud of how she has grown by feeding on milk made just right for her, and i am proud i have set a good example for my children and hope they choose to breastfeed their own children one day.

I am proud of my older kids who defend my right to breastfeed if anyone says anything negative. My 5 and 6 year old proudly tell people that their sister has milk made just for babies, not milk made for cows

Three cheers for us breast feeders i love Breast feeding and breast milk, its MAGIC stuff.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JabberJaw For This Useful Post:

Sookie Stackedhouse  (06-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    OblenaandMullet Oh thats lovely made me cry. I think i will feel a sense of loss once i finish feeding bub. SHe is my last bub, the last one i can share this special event with. Breastfeeding always overloads me with all those lovey dovey hormones, and its like i am addicted to them. I remember the sense of loss i felt when my eldest weaned at 3 too, it was like my child had flown the nest!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Is the owl party because their sound is like WHO? Like a play on words? Sorry, my brain is really really tired.

Anyway, that's lovely that you're both enjoying it.

My son just turned 14 months. I sometimes find it a bit onerous (I work 30 hours a week, but between that and inevitable extra hours, and some volunteer work, it's been more like between 40 and 50 hours lately) as I have to express. It would be better if I didn't have to work, as I dont mind feeding him.

But I just see it as another facet of parenting. It can be tiresome, but I feel it's just what I need to do. I don't feel that not breastfeeding is an option for us.

I think he'd take weaning badly, as well. I still feed him once or twice overnight, and he is very insistent that he has his boob. He snuffles around for it, has a quick drink and goes back to sleep.

He gets so excited about having a feed. He does this little chipmonk laugh and gets very animated.

I think I may have some pathological fear of giving him a breast milk substitute as well. The thought of giving him a cup of cow's milk makes me feel nauseous. Probably because we drink soy and oat milk. I have a tin of unopened soy formula in the cupboard. It's like a challenge how long I can go without opening it.

I should stop this ramble before I say something silly. I've had a very long day, and it's bed time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm still breastfeeding (if you can call it that) my 23 month old. I keep thinking he's done because he can go a week or two without it. I think I said a week ago that our journey was over but nope yesterday and today he came looking for boobie. Of course I said yes and he sat with me for a half an hour. He still hugs and kisses them all the time. He comes for a hug and says one two boobies, Aidan hug and snuggles in. I offer them but he says no Mummy . I'm feeling rejected a bit but also proud that he's making up his own mind, all one his own without pressure from his Mum and Dad or anyone else.

I don't know when it will be over for good, I'm not sure. I've grieved it so many times because there have been several times I really thought it was over. I'm a lot more ready to accept it now, I feel like when he's ready he will move on to the next phase of our relationship. Whether it's next week or next year

OblenaandMullet - your poem was beautiful, it brought tears to my eyes. I wish I could do something like that but I'm such a vocal person that I struggle to put my feelings on paper IYKWIM. Everytime we breastfeed now I take a photo because I worry it will be our last. I have a picture of our first feed and I really want one of our last.

Demeter - I know what you mean about perfect grabbing height on the loo. I'm a frequent nudie at home so when I go to the loo he would run up and say BOOOOBIE and latch on. Talk about not going to the loo in piece . Although I find these days he's just happy to be near them. He takes comfort from their feel and smell more then the feed itself but if he only feeds once a week or so I'm still happy because every drop of my milk is precious

demeter is offline Breastfeeding since 2008, tandem since 2010 (Free Breastfeeding Support: 1800 686 2 686)
    Thanks
    Reviews
    OblenaandMullet that's a GREAT poem! What a terrific idea. I'm going to sit with it and see if I can come up with a poem for DD and I.

It's a relief to hear others talk about going through aversion to it at times and to talk about grieving the weaning when it happens. It's nice to be on the same page as others, and there are so few of us in this regard, sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by JabberJaw View Post
    I think around 18 months well meaningful do gooders try to sabotage breastfeeding relationships and we in turn build negativity towards breastfeeding without the intention of doing so. Then the further we get, the more proud we are so we defend our rights to feed!
    Thanks for that. I think you're right on the money there

Quote Originally Posted by MsMummy View Post
    Is the owl party because their sound is like WHO? Like a play on words?
    Yep, sure is you guessed it

But I just see it as another facet of parenting. It can be tiresome, but I feel it's just what I need to do. I don't feel that not breastfeeding is an option for us.
    This is very much how I have approached it too. If I had have been in any other frame of mind at the most challenging moments...well I wouldn't be feeding now! It's one of those things that you have to be uncompromising on in the face of some unfair stuff. Which is why chatting to folks like you makes for the perfect end to my day

I have a tin of unopened soy formula in the cupboard. It's like a challenge how long I can go without opening it.
    Oooh that's daring! When DD was young I was strict about not letting ABM in the house for fear of falling back on it. At 21 months it ended up in my house after I went to a baby expo and got showbags from all the ABM companies so I could write a blog post critiquing their marketing .

Leisa21 that sounds really challenging, emotionally I'm sorry to hear you've been feeling rejected (I suspect I'll feel similarly when our time comes too). Have you considered ringing the ABA helpline just to debrief these feelings and get some recognition from a listening ear at all the great BFing you've done? They'd be stoked to get a call from a mama breastfeeding at 23 months!

Our of curiosity, Leisa21, what has been happening with your supply since Aidan's dropped his feeding regularity?

Oh and I am SO glad someone else goes to the loo naked and lets their tot wander in. I was worried I'd come across like a total freak for that comment LOL

Whispers is offline Ocupation: Mother of 3, yes it's job, one of the hardest and one of the greatest.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JabberJaw View Post
    I am still feeding my 21 month old on demand too, sadly she is feeding like a newborn through the night but occasionally has been sleeping longer than 3 hours!
    I am bf my 23mth old dd and she to is like a new born at night.

Since falling pregnant again though it has all been a nightmare as my boobs have become very tender and sore

Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    2.5 years here. I even had to go away for work for a week 2 months ago and the first thing after the cuddle my top was pulled open, my boobs ogled and a beaming child said "I want booby". Not looking like stopping any time soon.

2 Cherubs is offline Rah rah ah-ah-ah! Ro mah ro-mah-mah Gaga Ooh-la-la!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Feeding my 20th old here...Over the past few weeks it has been less and less but at least once a day and thru the night.

At one stage I was really over feeding her because she wanted it allll them time and was just using me as a dummy. Then when she did cut down I was a little sad, work that out lol

We are enjoying feeding and I will be happy to finish when she is

I also fed my son till he was 14mths

Funny thing he is....He tells me the other day that his boobies has juice in them
    Last edited by 2 Cherubs; 27-11-2009 at 01:03.