ADVERTISEMENT

Closed Thread
Page 44 of 64 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi All

Just dropping by for a look.....
    Hope everyone is well and feeling positive.

Can someone please explain to me what DHEA is and how it works and where to get it and how long you should be on it. It sounds like good stuff.

Me...am now at 33 weeks and in only 6 weeks this little miracle will arrive. ASAP after that, I want some of that DHEA stuff!!!!!

LuckyAPA
    x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi LuckyAPA!

We have many experts here, and they will be able to add to my layman's explanation. DHEA is a male hormone. There is a theory that as your eggs age, it is the lower levels of this hormone that lowers egg quality. So after a few months on this, egg quality can improve. Many doctors have seen this happen and there are a number of success stories on this thread alone to support the theory.

I've heard there are blood tests which can test your levels, so you can see if your are a good candidate or not, but my FS didn't do those, so I don't know the details of what they are.

There are side effects with the drug which you need to be aware of, though many get the side effects to varying degrees, most suffering very little. I still have quite a bit of hair loss, but my hairdresser said yesterday it wasn't noticable as I had a lot to begin with. I'm hopeful this will stop in a couple of months. I stopped taking it when I decided to move to donor eggs.

Mostly only an FS will prescribe it, and even then many of those won't. If you let us know what city your closest FS is in, we may be able to help you with one who is DHEA friendly.

I think you can buy it online from the US too, but I suspect that is at the dodgey end of the spectrum in terms of whether it's allowed or not maybe... not sure. If there's anyone else doing it that way, they might be able to tell you more.

Good luck to you though... you never know, you mightn't need it! I can't believe your little one will be here so soon! It seems like just yesterday we all started chatting in here! I hope the last few weeks are completely uneventful for you! Best of luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi girls - just chiming in about ordering from O/S - it can be done, but apparently it is illegal to import it into Aus. So if customs open your packet, then you may be in for a steep fine. I was looking into it a while back and found that several US companies were aware of the Aussie rules and wouldn't even ship DHEA here.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Drbee...congrats on the surprise..what great news its better than winning lotto.....

Soclose...hang in there with your parents just think of the cycle coming up and put all your energy into that.

Penny/lucky
    DHEA is a hormone found in both females and males. It acts to produce testosterone.which is needed for sperm production in males and egg production in females So in males the levels can be very high.
    When you have PCOS you often have high testosterone to DHEA profile and this is expressed as a percentage on blood tests that your GP usually orders if monitoring PCOS or diagnosing it.
    The important thing to remember is that DHEA is unproven. Only a few studies have been done and the results have not been replicated. The main study that everyone quotes was done a few years ago with a small cohort of ladies. They took 25mg 3 x day for 4 months. The results showed that these ladies had a higher egg number better quality and a lower miscarriage rate. They concluded that all women whom are poor responders should take DHEA..no matter what their age. They also suggested that all women over 40 should take it.
    Its a difficult thing as you are dammed if you do and dammed if you dont. Many women swear that their egg quality improved and they got pregnant on DHEA.. But it is difficult to prove as other factors come into play...healthy lifestyle, change in protocol.
    So some FS will use it and some wont.
    If you take it , it is important that you should get a baseline testosterone level before you start then repeat it 3-4 weeks later (your GP can help) In some women DHEA can push the testosterone up too much which then can lower the egg quality.
    I bought my DHEA from a USA vitamin company in complete ignorance...it was labelled as amino acids when it arrived. It is very cheap in the USA (around $5-9 for 90tabs) and the quality seems to be pretty similar. I ordered 3 bottles so luckily I have a few left....
    At the moment I am taking 50mg as my testosterone is in the mid normal level (pre DHEA) and when I stim I may decrease the dose to 25mg.
    Any way its one of those things.

The other thing that is showing a lot of promise is the amino acid L-Arginine... it acts to produce nitric oxide which is very important in sperm production and egg production...it has the biggest role in the male to improve count and motility. and takes around 3months to work, suggested dose is around 3000mg, although some studies used 16g. again most studies have been done looking at its affect on mice....
    The main side effect is that it can bring out coldsores, so people whom have this problem should be cautious, this can be counteracted with lysiene supplements.

Sooz.... nearly jabbin, come and play with me...Im lonely.. Sorry to hear about your father in law and mother going into hospital, I hope they are feeling better soon.

Lilly...hows the egg growing going, hope everything is growing lovely ...let us know how you are going...

Cougarmummy, goldy...MIA...hope you are both going ok, we are all waiting for your betas with crossed fingers

AFM
    well back home after my short work week ...bliss...
    tired this week, I had acupuncture last night and it was fabulous.... so what I needed.
    Started jabbin lupron last night so Im well and truley on the cycle road....
    time to eat healthy...well like I do anything else ...so boring....
    Looking forward to spending some time on the couch,have to ring medicare and have a discussion about what they underpaid me back for the last IVF cycle...grrrrr. as well as finish the BAS...sigh.........more money for ATO.....
    at least I have the Wii to play with as it arrived this week and my new food dehyrator...so more peeling apples, and Ill make some semi dried tomatoes...yummmmmmmmyyyyyyy....... I better spoil myself with a treat baking as well...mmmm maybe mereinges and cream...now Im talking......lol..lol

Hope everyone has a fabulous thursday as we are on the downhill slide now.
    Last edited by micca; 12-05-2010 at 19:23.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi ladies hope everyone is well

Drbee - congratulations what fantastic news I hope everything goes smoothly for you just what this thread needs congrats to you and your DH enjoy

Micca - Check with medicare as IVF is now capped with your first cycle for the year refund of $1660 and then every other one at around $2600 the government have capped everything no matter how many times you do IVF. I was like you when I went to get my refund this year for the first time I called and then I also spoke to the clinic and they confirmed that it actually is correct. It will be interesting how much more we get from our tax return this year. How is your first injection going. Hows the Wii

Soclose - not sure where you are upto but hope you are doing ok

Pippy - How are you going with the cyst?

Everyone elso hope you are all doing ok

Well injecting away tummy is feeling very heavy and tight left side very sore hopeing its eggs growing and not any other nasty things. Apart from that all going well at the moment just injecting sniffing and waiting for Friday to see if anything is there. Still having accupuncture so hopeing thats helping.

Good night ladies take care XOX

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi lovel ladies,

well I had mt BT yesterday and unfortunately it is another BFN. I have stopped all my drugs and will just wait for my period to show up so I can start again and have another FET,

I will catch up with everyone elses news this evening,

love to all,

Goldy

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am goldy...so sorry to hear that you had a bfn. aaaaaaaahhhhh
    fugger fugger fugger, buck, buck, buck.

thats all I can say...grrrrr
    I hope you are not too distressed after all the BFNs... I hope you have a long serious talk to your FS about failed repeated implantations....

Big hugs and hugs

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am goldy so sorry that it was a bfn, look after yourself

Lilly40 good luck with the scan tomorrow I hope it shows lots of follies.

LuckyAPA wow 6 weeks to go that is brilliant soon you will be holding your little bubs.

Micca good luck with the jabbing I hope this is the cycle for you.

To all the ladies I have forgotten

Thanks
    Reviews

Default gr8 thread

nothing like this thread when I was going trought it all but just to let you know I had a beautiful boy after three cycles IVF but since him we have tried again

I have had numberous cycles all resulted in no transfers due to either poor response so stopped cycles before EPU, two epu but no ET so we decided to stop back in Dec. But every month I go throught the motions of well maybe a natrual BFP may happen only to be bitterly disappointed. I know I have been blessed with one beautiful son but something inside me saying it is not it for you.
    where to from here ?? not really able to talk to friends as they don't really understand reading this thread has really filled me with hope
    just wanting to know out of interest how many of you are on the health kick eg natural foods low processed no caf no alchol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi All

Waiting2be - I cut out everything that they said to 'limit', caffeine, alcohol and every pill of any type, vitamin, cold/flu...anything at all. I basically had only what they told me to have. As for my diet, I sort of think everything in moderation so not overly healthy but not unhealthy either if you know what I mean.

Thanks to everyone for the DHEA information. It was very helpful. I go to Dr Esler in Toowoomba so might mention it next time I see him. I really do want some.

Yes, only 6 weeks to go and I can't believe we are so lucky. My doctor won't let luck come into it, he's taking all the credit.

LuckyAPA