+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Change Tables - PLEASE READ

Hi all. Now some of you may read this and think what a horrible mum and trust me the same thoughts cross my mind. Do not think because your child is small, not moving much or crawling that they can not fall off a change table. Last night I was running the bath for my 4mth old and I turned around to put the bath seat in for him and when I turned back he was back down on the tiles, he started screaming. I picked him up, rang the ambulance and by thr grace of God nothing was wrong with him. By the time the ambulance came he was smiling, trying to sit up and they checked his head and got him to follow a light etc and he was fine. Someone else might not be so lucky. Please no matter what age they are do not turn away for even a second without having them strapped in no matter how little they are. It can happen so quickly. I want others to learn from my error.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Unhappy An addition

Hi channy i can reason with you...with any change table we should never take our eyes off them but my sister has one of the multi function change tables with a flip up lid and bath underneath and when her youngest was about 2 1/2 months old i turned my head to put the nappy in the bin and caleb moved to the side causing the change table top to flip up and i only just caught him.though to this day i'm not sure how!!I felt so bad for ages after and now am so cautious.

razzle is offline FORUM MANAGER~ Always watching...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I don't think you're a horrible mum at all Channy! It all happens so quickly. My 16 mth old daughter likes to stand up on the change table and there's nothing I can do to stop her, I just have to hold her hand or leg while trying to dress her (and wrestle her back down!). We have the change table alongside the fireplace in her room - and she stands up and grabs stuff off the mantle to play with. The other day - even though I was holding her, she stood on the lip of the wooden table, slipped in her socks and went straight down inbetween the table and the fireplace. I just couldn't grab her with two hands in time. It must have really hurt because she did that cry where no sound comes out for about 10 seconds. She was happy again after about 10 minutes of mummy cuddles, but ended up with a massive bruise near her shoulder blade. Thank goodness she didn't wack her head on the fire grate or anything.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    channy, thank goodness he is alright! i gasped when i read this, and then gave a sigh of relief when i got to the bit where he was ok, im sure they must bounce or something. noone would think you are a bad mother, im sure there are lots of mums here who have had close calls with their little ones. matilda fell off the couch a couple of mths ago because i was positive she couldnt roll over and then a fw wks ofter that she fell off the bed because i put her in the middle and i was sure she couldnt roll that far in that short space of time both instances only took a sec, and thankgoodness she was also fine, i am glad you have reminded us all though of how quick it can happen, especially when we think they cant roll or anything.