+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
    Bloody hell that's expensive! You'd think they would make it cheaper than that

When we had it done it was free... I assume because Ava had to have the sweat test? Or because it was done in hospital? No idea.
    That is the cost if you have no family history of CF. For those with a family member who has CF or is a carrier, their tests are provided free.

So, because your daughter was found to be a carrier you guys and your relatives can have testing for free through the genetics clinic.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dr has just suggested my husband and i get tested to see if we are CF carriers. We dont have any history of it, but then i see 85% carriers arent aware of their history. Thinking maybe we should do it. Wonder why its not routine here like it is in the states.

Its around $200 to test us....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Last edited by Vanessa80; 16-08-2010 at 21:26.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there Ms Pie

My sister has CF so I was tested for free when I was 16 through the genetic counsellors at the hospital where my sister got her treatment.

When my husband and I got married we had him tested also for free through this service.

It turned out i am a carrier and he isnt (of the most common genes anyway).

With your family history it is likely your mum could also be a carrier and could have passed it down to you. You should get the testing free I would think. And it is something definately worth doing. As someone else said knowledge = power.

I hope this helps

Thanks
    Reviews
    hi, i got the test done when i had my NT scan, at SUFW. we just tested me, and if i had come back positive , we would have had DH test also. only took a few days to get results. they have a very informative website:

http://www.sufw.com.au/Services/Pren...5/Default.aspx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We have CF in our family also. My cousin died when he was 4 (30 yrs ago now) and both my nephew (8) and neice (11) have it (my brothers kids). My neice will be needing a lung transplant within the next few yrs.
    I got the tests done through my GP and all free. I had blood tests and they also pulled my hair out to get 6 roots!. All came back fine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bakubaby View Post
    hi, i got the test done when i had my NT scan, at SUFW. we just tested me, and if i had come back positive , we would have had DH test also. only took a few days to get results. they have a very informative website:

http://www.sufw.com.au/Services/Pren...5/Default.aspx
    do you recall the cost bakubaby?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Candy~ View Post
    We have CF in our family also. My cousin died when he was 4 (30 yrs ago now) and both my nephew (8) and neice (11) have it (my brothers kids). My neice will be needing a lung transplant within the next few yrs.
    I got the tests done through my GP and all free. I had blood tests and they also pulled my hair out to get 6 roots!. All came back fine.
    oh through your gp, ok i'll check with mine

thanks candy

(and very sad re your cousin...)

Thanks
    Reviews
    i just checked...it was $100
    i think there are 2 levels of testing and i just had the basic one...hope this helps