+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Cystic Fibrosis carrier screening test.

Hi,
    Just wondering if anyone has had the Cystic Fibrosis carrier screening test. This test wasn't offered for my 1st preganancy & I'm wondering how much it cost & if you took it do you think it was worth it & if you were offered it at all.

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had it at the hospital at 2 mths preg because hubby was a carrier (we didn't know till mil told us she was a carrier when we were already pg). It was free because it was already in our family but the test took two weeks to come back.
    You call the cystic fibrosis foundation and they will give you the number for your local screening hospital and it's done with a genetic counsellor. In the US it's done routinely now during pregnancy but I wasn't offered it last year so not sure if things have changed in the last 9 mths.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My GP gave me the brochure on the CF screening test. I have no known family history or anything, she said they were just offering this new screening test for the general population before they conceive. I didn't end up having the test.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My husband and I had the blood test done after Ava came back with an abnormality in her heel prick test. She had the sweat test done and is a carrier, as is my husband. Ava's results came back the same day but iirc our results took a little longer.

I would recommend everyone get it done beforehand just so you know where you stand. It's very scary finding out about it after your bub is born.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had it done before trying to conceive. As my results came back clear (none of the common mutations found), we didn't get my partner tested. I think it costs around $200.

As 1 in 25 people are carriers, it is definately worth getting one or both parents tested before trying to conceive.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Bloody hell that's expensive! You'd think they would make it cheaper than that

When we had it done it was free... I assume because Ava had to have the sweat test? Or because it was done in hospital? No idea.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kiki07 View Post
    I had it done before trying to conceive. As my results came back clear (none of the common mutations found), we didn't get my partner tested. I think it costs around $200.

As 1 in 25 people are carriers, it is definately worth getting one or both parents tested before trying to conceive.

I was exactly the same, I got tested & am not a carrier, so didn't worry about getting DP tested and my test was $200. My test results took about a month to come back so just be aware that if you get tested & are carrier & then want to get your partner tested it will take a long time!

Also, if you either of you are of Asian background, you are at a significantly lower risk of being a carrier.

Thanks
    Reviews
    my hubby and i both had the test done because we were getitng tested for other things as well.

our test didnt cost us anything, and to my shock i actually came back as a carrier. but no-one in my family has the condition. hubby is not a carrier (as far as we know for the most common mutations), so we dont really have to worry too much.

But i always think Knowledge = Power. now that we know that i am a carrier we can be more vigilant we baby comes along in the future.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm pretty sure my dh's mum and dad got the test done too and didn't have to pay.

Savingfishfromdrowning is offline If you can't change your fate, change your attitude
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,

I have CF, so my DH had the test done before we got married (just so we knew what we were getting in to). It was free for us through a genetic counsellor in the hospital where I am cared for. It was a very simple test, he just swished some water stuff in his mouth and spat it into a jar.

Because I have CF, our baby (due in May) will be a carrier.

He is not a carrier of the common genes, we considered having a more extensive test done to rule it out completely, but these are only available in the USA, and DH did not want to send his blood overseas. Fair enough.

Do the test if you are worried, it will put your mind at ease.

AJ