+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I feel really conned with Hypnosis. Not only was I guaranteed that I could quit cigarettes in 60 minutes I was also referred to this person by a highly qualified dental practitioner which I thought gave it extra cred.

The brochure I was given stated a 95.6% success rate. I had an initial telephone conversation with the "hypnotist" and advised I had hypnosis once before and it didn’t work. I was assured that her programme would work and then she kept hammering me "now when can you come"..."when can I book you in” …the usually heavy sell stuff. I was quoted the price of $420.00 for 1 hour. Silly me thought….well, it must be good for that sort of money.

I went the next day rather excited. Took all extra packets of cigs, lighters etc so they could be thrown out. I then spent 2 hours hearing about this persons "charmed life", husbands, boyfriends, lovers, money, travels etc of which I tired of rather quickly, and the bad taste was setting in. She was a nice enough lady, but WTF did I need to hear about all that crap for is beyond me. Particularly as my life isn’t what I would could call “charmed” at the moment and nor has it ever been as such.

Hence I was wondering why I was there. So then the process of hypnosis. After hearing her voice for 2 hours previously, it then became a total irritation and I was basically sitting in this chair, with my eyes closed, willing this entire process to be over and dying for a cigarette.

Cutting this long story short, I came back home found a packet with one single cig in there and couldn’t wait to have it. I then went to bed and the next day absolutely busting for a cig, spent 4 hours cleaning and lasted until 2pm and had to rush out and buy a packet. So much for “Hypnosis”.

Not only did I waste $420.00 I also threw out $60.00 worth of cigs based on this person GUARANTEEING a 95.6% success rate that I would quit after a single session with her.

I then went to my GP, and have started Champix. GP advised that anyone offering a 95% success rate with hypnosis is conning you. I haven’t quit yet, but still in the first 2 weeks. I am cutting down and noticing less of an urge. I guess that’s a good thing.

All I can say is that I feel CONNED with Hypnosis. The “Guarantee” means that I can go back for another session, but as I have such a bad taste in my mouth from this experience I couldn’t be bothered wasting my time. I am considering writing to this person requesting copies of documents I signed and may think about trying to get my money back.

Maybe it works for some. For me it was a total rip off and extortion of hard earned money!

Anyway I’ll do my best following the Champix programme. Today I did feel a bit sick for about 5 minutes, and I also have a history of depression. I am not on any Anti-D’s at the moment, and my GP seems fine that I follow the Champix programme. Here’s hoping for success after nearly 40 years of smoking. I’ll let you know if I become schizophrenic and for those that are not aware, smoking is as addictive as heroine, so it is not just mind over matter. It is the fact that the matter controls!

FYI I live on the Gold Coast, Qld. This is the land of many "rip off merchants". So if you are considering Hypnosis from anyone on the Gold Coast that costs $420.00 with a 95.6% success rate guaranteeing you can quit, then I would suggest you do heaps of due diligence before you commit.

regards
    Last edited by wheels; 05-09-2012 at 17:27.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Trying to quit smoking with Hypnosis

I have been a non smoker now for 2 years and 7months. To be perfectly honest it is mostly in your head. If you decide you no longer wish to smoke and have great self control, you can quit!
    I used the patches for 2 weeks, then ran out and couldn't be bothered going to the shops to buy more... So i just quit! And have not looked back. DH on the other hand has used pre quit patches, patches, gum, tabs, and champix (I was going to kill him when he was on the champix he was a complete a$$!) over and over in the same time frame... Problem is he is quitting for me not himself... He actually does not want to quit... That's your first hurdle! No one is going to be successful in anything they actually don't want to do!
    My dad who smoked for 30 odd years did hypnosis and he thinks it didn't work, but he has been smoke free 5 months shorter than me.
    With hypnosis, I have been hypnotized by Peter Powers, not for smoking, but the biggest failure rate of hypnosis is people not understanding what will happen to them when they are hypnotized. If your hypnotist explains to you what you feel and what to expect the you will have a higher success rate as you won't be sitting there wondering what is going on and you can actually get the message into your head!
    Best of luck with your quitting journey... It certainly isn't easy but you will definitely feel like you can conquer anything once you conquer those buggers x

Edit:spelling
    Last edited by Sleven; 05-09-2012 at 17:24.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Sleven,
    the biggest failure rate of hypnosis is people not understanding what will happen to them when they are hypnotized. If your hypnotist explains to you what you feel and what to expect the you will have a higher success rate as you won't be sitting there wondering what is going on and you can actually get the message into your head!
    I don't dispute what you say. I guess it is dependent upon the "hypnotizer"....I wish I had done more due diligence instead of jumping in and coughing up $420.00.

Congratulations on your success with giving up the "buggers".

Cheers

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Trying to quit smoking with Hypnosis

Dh and I stopped smoking 4 years ago.
    He used chewies. I used cold turkey apart from a 1/4 patch for 1 day. ( I get a systemic reaction to it, so used it VERY mildly).
    A friend had great success with a hypnotist. We called him after we had stopped for about a week. He told us a major thing he tells people while under, is not to ignore your craving. Accept the craving is there. Say, I have a craving right now, then put it aside and move on. Silly as it sounds, that really helped us. Don't ignore the craving and let it fester. When people do that, they explode and have a ciggie. If you acknowledge it, you can move on.
    Yes, it's tough, but what sometimes stops me now from having one is the knowledge if how hard it would be to stop again. I don't really have cravings now.
    Good luck.