+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Trying to quit smoking with Hypnosis

Hi all I have come to the conclusion that i really need to quit. Not only for my health but for my kids and my pocket. My partner and I added up how much we spend each month in smokes and it was ridiculous.
    I have tried once before, I used patches and lasted 5 days. I didn't think the patches did much for me as I smoked with them on and had no effect on me whatsoever.
    I have thought about Champix but don't like the sound of the side effects.
    I'm going to try the gum or mints.
    Then I thought what about hypnosis? Has anyone had this and did or does it work?
    I looked up online and it will cost $135 for and hour, but you need 3 sessions. So thats $400 which is less than what we spend in smokes, but I don't want to spend that much money if it's just a scam.
    I'd like to hear some peoples experiences with this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My neighbour tried the hypnosis to quit smoking. He said he sat through the whole thing thinking in the back of his mind 'what a crock', then when he walked out he didn't feel like a smoke and hansn't smoked since. That was nearly three years ago.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's what I'm worried about. That I'll think it won't work, spend heaps of money and still smoke.
    grrrr why did I ever start???

Theophania is offline 'see what had happened was..there were these three ninjas and a blue monkey and well it really wasn't my fault..'
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hey There

I have heard positive and negative stories about it. Come people have gone on not to smoke and it worked for them and others it had no effect whatsoever. I think it depends on the person, I know certain people can't be hipnotised. I have just quit myself but that cold turkey as I found out I was pregnant. I quit for my last pregnancy as well and took it up when DS was 5 weeks old. I honestly think that the best way is cold turkey, over the years I have tried everything and really I think that if the will to quit is great enough you can do it cold turkey.

I have been told fantastic things about champix everyone I know who tried that actually did quit smoking, but I don't know anything about the side effects.

Good luck and hopefully you won't get too stressed out.

P.S I have found as well when I am cracving a smoke if I sit and take deep breathes like I was smoking it helps calm me down and get through the craving... just breathe through them

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I haven't tried it because I have a fairly major strong hold on my conscious mind and don't know that I can be hypnotised. The risks are reasonably high that my control freak nature (lol) wouldn't let it happen, I can't meditate either, it just doesn't happen for me.

Anyway I'm cutting numbers down right now hoping that after cutting consumption by a half or so for a week will make my dependence/tolerance a little lower and all the aids I've got here will work better - same as you, I get no effect from the patch and the gum/inhaler aren't doing much for me at all. So I think maybe if I reduce the level first it'll be more effective.

I tried Champix about a year ago and it was brilliant, until I got a tummy bug and couldn't keep them down, lol. I was just about to hit my quit date too so I hadn't actually completely quit and that was the problem. The only side effect I got from them was that about 10 minutes after taking I got a bit sick feeling, but usually eating something basic (bit of bread, piece of fruit etc) helped that feeling go away really quickly. Maybe it is worth trying them before you dismiss it - just see if you get any of the side effects in the first few days. The starting dose is quite small.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    im on day 7 of being a non smoker, i was smoking over 30 a day, for almost 16 years... until i went to the dr about being pg, he listened to my lungs and was shocked by them, told me that they only hear lungs that bad in much older people.. im only 28, 29 this month..

this was my wake up call.. i was numb at first, till i called dh and started bawling.. both of us quit, we arent using NRT... to be honest i dont see the point, your addicted to nicotine, so you use nicotine to get off it??

we just had none in the house, and refuse to buy any.. personally im too cheap to go to hypnosis... but im like that with everything, if i want to quit smoking...just dont smoke..

i wont lie and say i havent thought about smoking, after i eat i go to grab one, when i have a few minutes to myself i go to step outside for one... funny i had a dream last night i rolled a smoke, then put it down saying, oh wait i dont smoke

i think people make quitting seem like a hard thing to do.. but if your ready, all you need is to have none around, a good book.. and supportive people around you

Thanks
    Reviews
    My Auntie , her son, his wife and thier son went to hypno about 3 weeks ago. The girls have successfully quit so far but the boys went back to it, but the feeling is the boys didn't really want to quit. They only had one session and it cost $200 each.
    I have been hypnotysed before but not for smoking. I felt a real difference in the way I thought it really can work if you let it.
    My husband has been on Champix twice with no success. It was playing around with his moods and he was having vivid dreams so he stopped taking them.

:tree::tree::tree:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am not a smoker, never have been, but my FIL was a heavy smoker for 30+ years. About 4 or 5 months ago he had 3 hypnosis sessions, and hasn't touched a smoke since

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My boss did it, and he was a pretty heavy smoker, and quite skeptical it was going to work. He had 3 sessions, and hasn't touched a cigarette since. It's been a year now, which I think is a huge achievement.

The only other advice I can give, is try to get your partner to quit with you, otherwise it probably won't work. My sil has tried to quit tonnes of times, but because her hubby smokes, the temptation is always there and she keeps going back.

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Some GP's do hypnosis and they can bulk bill it as a normal session (I think as my gp was going to do it until I saw him with severe pain and got sent to hospital in case bubs was in danger). Also I have heard that acupuncture can work too.

I do not recommend champix if you have had a mental health hx (such as depression, bipolar or any other illness that can be affected by chemicals) due to the fact that it can cause a person to have a relapse. My drs have always refuses to put me on them due to my hx with depression. I also have a few friends that were originally diagnosed with depression then went on champix to end up in hospital with schizophrenia. Just keep that in mind when you take into account all your options. I am going to quit cold turkey and Tuesday is my quit day as I start driving from Brisbane to Perth!

Good luck with quitting, and as my Dr said to me when I asked about quitting, its mind over matter. If you want it bad enough then any treatment will work

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub