Closed Thread
Page 69 of 87 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    ohh sparkle, i am the same- confused lol.
    my MIL is buying us the car seat, do i need a capsule as well?

I am soo tired.. i cannot get enough sleep at the mo.

Oh and Lilly- u look awesome!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Girls,

Thought I'd get in early so i don't end up coming on to about 10 new pages of posts It's so hard to keep up with you lot!

For those asking about the capsule opposed to the carseat. The benefits of a capsule are that you can take the entire thing out of the car so you don't have to lift baby out and can carry the capsule with you if you are visiting friends or doing a quick errand etc... The benefits of a carseat is that it starts off being used exactly like a capsule (in the rear facing position) but can not be removed from the car and used to carry bub BUT when the bub is around 4-6 months can be converted to the forward facing position and then used until the child is around 4yrs. So financially it's probably cheaper to go with the convertible carseat option but practically it doesn't suit everyone ..... hope that helps?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lilly: Thanks for that!!!

So where does one hire the capsule bit? And does anyone know how much? Jet how did you go??

I think I am looking at the ones that do not have the capsule piece. The Safe & Sound Meridien baby seats from memory. I can see the ease of having the capsule though, esp if bubs is asleep etc.

Talk about confusing!

Thanks
    Reviews
    lillyjack: great baby bump

mum2haylz: Yes I have facebook

sparklesare: Sounds like you had a fun time on Black Friday getting the Baby bjorns! haha I have recently heard of people wearing both babies at the same time using Ergo's

For those of you who want to know about capsules:

This is the one most often available for rent/hire:

It's the safe n sound Polo capsule. You can kind of see in the pic how it looks like 2 different units: the base and the seat itself. This is one of the safest seats on the market for rearward facing (think it's currenly 2nd). It isnt overly comfy for baby (some babies compain other dont). Benefits are you can take baby out of the car whilst still in the capsule for short trips etc. Some people think they can leave a sleeping baby in it so as not to disturb etc - which is actually against SIDS guidelines (not to be left for more than an hour). The other benefit is you can actually buy a second base so that the capsule can easily be used between more than 1 car - handy for those with 2 vehicles or where grandparents might have the baby on some days etc. Most people find the whole taking baby out to transport them around in the seat quite handy when they are light (under 6-7kg) but then most ive spoken to find they start to get too heavy for this. I would also think the reason why 2nd time mums find them useful is because they have a toddler they have to look after as well and need a free hand to do so etc. Now a few years ago you were able to use this for the first 5-6mths and then buy a forward only facing car seat (which is cheaper than a convertible) and switch to that - however it is now recommended to leave baby rearward facing until 12 mths. That means if you're using a capsule you will probably have to upgrade to a convertible seat and use that rear facing until the 12mth mark.

I personally think the only way its worthwhile buying a capsule is if you are going to have a few kids to get use out of it. The other option is to hire - several people hire them out so check online. Kidsafe and Red Cross definately do. Ive heard some people say it's only cost them $60 for 6mths hire which is a pretty good deal. Then you can hire one for say the first 3mths when baby is still light and it's convienant etc. To buy they are anywhere -from $250-300 new.

The reason why the particular capsule i posted above is so safe is that the capsule is actually 'floating' inside the base so if you were in an accident it offers protection from the force of the hit due to it having that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    sparklesare: a capsule is completely different to a car seat. Capsules come in two pieces and car seats do not.

The Safe n Sound Meridian is a top ranked car seat. Its the one we have and will definately last your child until they're 4 (as the height of it grows unlike many others). If you were to use a capsule you'd still need to Meridian.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I am hiring our capsule from capsule king $110 fro 4-6 months I think it was. Google them. This way we don't have to worry about buying one for several months and can then get one that doesn't do the capsule bit. I think just about everyone I know has done the same. Much easier to take a newborn out of the thing when it's not in the car methinks!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Jetgirl makes a good point about it being easier to get them in and out of the car with a capsule. It wouldnt be as big a deal if it weren't for the tether strap. However because of the tether strap (which you have to undo to get the capsule in and out of the car) it is more difficult to get a baby in and out of a convertible as the strap is in the way. Ive heard many people complain about it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    earthangel: Thanks, I did realise they were separate items...moreso was trying to get a better understanding of each, which I now have.

Jetgirl: Thanks for that tip found them! Good price too!
    Last edited by sparklesare; 13-01-2010 at 09:25. Reason: typo

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am soo sleepy and bored. Sitting here at work willing bob to move, I wanna feel him lol.
    Is it 5pm yet? *YAWN*

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was naughty and called in sick cos I got no sleep