View Poll Results: what would you do

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • put kids in the school thats closets to home

4 19.05%
  • don't mind travelling a bit if its a good school (how far are you willing to travel?)

17 80.95%
  • other

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ezzza232 View Post
    if the schools in your area really aren't that good then i would go the one 20 mins away 20 mins isnt that far of a drive (mum used to drive me and my sister 15/20 mins to high school). can you get into that school though or is it zoned?

also have you had a look at your local schools? just cause people say they have a bad rep etc doesnt always mean they do- might be worth a look around yourself and make your own mind up
    Its not zoned. With the other schools (the ones closer to us) I've had about 5 or 6 people all tell me negative things about them, some people even take their kids out because they're not happy there, I haven't been in them but when I do, if they're decent then I will put the kids in but I'm just not sure

Quote Originally Posted by my_lot View Post
    I wouldnt be that keen on the idea because i have kids going to different schools....and i didnt plan that way back when i started the first one in school.

Is there a bus for them?
    Yes there are buses that go from our house to the suburb (close to the schoo) but I will be driving them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mum2bubba View Post
    Its not zoned. With the other schools (the ones closer to us) I've had about 5 or 6 people all tell me negative things about them, some people even take their kids out because they're not happy there, I haven't been in them but when I do, if they're decent then I will put the kids in but I'm just not sure
    it might be worth a look though.. you never know new teachers come every year etc, some schools can just be bad for certain kids

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've had about 5 or 6 people all tell me negative things about them,.

Out of how many students in the school? Our primary schools in my area all have 300- 600 students

some people even take their kids out because they're not happy there

I have taken one child out of our school because i am very, very unhappy with the 'goings on' but i left another one there because i am very, very happy that needs are being met, happy with the education provided, the teachers and the friends so that child is staying put.

It depends on the child, the teachers they get and the students they are friends (or not friends) with.... and the parents you talk to and their own experience PER child.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I always had to catch a bus to primary school usually it took over half hour to get to school.

High school was a train and bus to school, I didn't mind this coz I did it with my friends.

As long as I could I would drive half hour or so to get Keiara to the better school.

Mrs Molly Coddle is offline I've admitted in writing that veve is awesome - eeek she has proof!!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    We'd travel an hour in the car, each way, if we had to.

It took an hour by bus to get to High school and an hour and a half to get home. I thought it was awful at the time!! Especially in the mornings.
    The day I got my licence was the best day ever!!

That was just to the closest high school though. We'd be closer now, living in a more built up area, but we want to send DS to a Steiner school and there aren't that many so we'll try and make it work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I really want the kids to go to this school, but I'm worried they will only have friends in that area, I guess they can still keep in contact with their kinder friends and I am putting Hayley into calisthenics next year which is just up the road so I'm sure she'd make friends there.

Another thing I've always wanted my kids to walk or ride their bikes to encourage excersise but we can't do this if I have to drive them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    we have a school within walking distance that my kids went to when we first bought our house but after several problems I now drive them 15 min each way to school,after I moved them we found out that several kids in our area all travel to the same school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I drive my son an hour each way to kindy. he is starting in a school closer for pp but I really wasnt happy with any of the K schools around here that could offer a place so I chose to drive.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Mine go to the local school, which is less than a mile away. They walk/walked, with an adult when they're small, then on their own after about Year 2.

For high school, it's a 40 minute bus ride AFTER the mile walk (the primary school is the nearest bus stop).

You do what you have to do. If you can reliably drive the 20 minutes every morning and every afternoon, go for it. If you think you'd not bother some days, or nobody else could do it if you couldn't (if you were sick or the car broke down), then don't commit to it. School is an every day commitment.

Kayangel is offline Bubba boy number two is coming!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Its really weird cos there are two good primary schools only up the road (less than 5 minute drive) which are zoned and my kids can't go there, but this particular school I'm interested in isn't zoned, its not even in the same suburb, not even in the same council zone.
    Do u mind me asking wat school your talking about? the one u want ur kids to attend.