ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

View Poll Results: what would you do

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • put kids in the school thats closets to home

4 19.05%
  • don't mind travelling a bit if its a good school (how far are you willing to travel?)

17 80.95%
  • other

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default How far are you willing to travel for school

I will add a poll.

The public schools in our area aren't that great, theres a private school thats pretty good (prep to year 12) but we don't have the money, especially for 3 kids.

Theres a school near my dad's house (my sisters and I went there when we were kids) thats a really good school. However, its about a 15-20 minute drive.

If you wanted to put your kids in a good school but the closest one was 20 minutes away would you put them in or not?

Would you just put them into one thats closer to home so its easier to travel (kids can walk home or ride their bikes) and most likely have their kindy friends go there too (though I don't remember any of my kinder friends being in the same p.s as me, but anyway).

Hayley doesn't start prep til 2011 so we have plenty of time to figure this out.

(maybe I will try and convince Grant to move down that way )

Queen is offline 2008 AWARD WINNER � Most bizarre thread award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We live in the same street as our school K-yr7 and at the end of our street it is up to year 12.....
    It is only about 6 houses down, so the kids will go there.

As a child I had to travel 140km round trip to school everyday...I NEVER wanted that for my kids..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would definitely travel. Of course, not a ridiculous distance but if it was a really good school I would easily go 20 minutes... anything over that I am not too sure though as I don't want the kids to spend all day in the car.

We've put DD1's name down at a few schools because I researched them and think they sound good, not because of the distance (they range from 5 mins- 25 mins away.) She can't walk to any anyway so once I am in the car it doesn't bother me too much.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We will be applying for a private school about 20-30mins drive away from where we currently live, but only 5 mins away from where one of the 2 places i work, plus we intend on moving to the area when we can afford it, so i would prefer for him to settle into a school, where we hope he will stay K-12. We live in a pretty bad area at the moment, so we also dont want to send him to the local schools, as PP stated, once we are in the car, its not that much further.

Is the private school an expensive one? if you dont want to travel it could be worth looking into. The one we want to send DS to works out to about $1000-1500 /yr, and its less and less for each child. Its MUCH cheaper than i had thought it was. Just a thought. I know it does add up quickly for more than one!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FelicityC View Post
    We will be applying for a private school about 20-30mins drive away from where we currently live, but only 5 mins away from where one of the 2 places i work, plus we intend on moving to the area when we can afford it, so i would prefer for him to settle into a school, where we hope he will stay K-12. We live in a pretty bad area at the moment, so we also dont want to send him to the local schools, as PP stated, once we are in the car, its not that much further.

Is the private school an expensive one? if you dont want to travel it could be worth looking into. The one we want to send DS to works out to about $1000-1500 /yr, and its less and less for each child. Its MUCH cheaper than i had thought it was. Just a thought. I know it does add up quickly for more than one!
    I think its about 10k a year or something like that and is less with more kids (I will look it up in a minute) but even then, its expensive. Unless I go back to work full time (which I'm not ready to do right now) I don't think the kids can go there. I don't have a problem with public schools but the ones in our area aren't great.

They are also buliding another prep to year 7 school a bit further (still close to us though) but not sure when it'll be finished.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'm the same with the schools in our area, there are no good public schools and those that are good are zoned and across town anyway. I short-listed to 4 schools, one's a 5 minute drive (although could take 15 minutes in morning school traffic) away and the furthest was a 20 minute (up to 40 minute in morning school traffic) drive away. As well as 2 in between. She was accepted into all of them, and I had more detailed interviews with the Principal of each school after this to try and decide which one to settle with and it just so happens that the closest one is the school that won for us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Its really weird cos there are two good primary schools only up the road (less than 5 minute drive) which are zoned and my kids can't go there, but this particular school I'm interested in isn't zoned, its not even in the same suburb, not even in the same council zone.

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    DD and I will be travelling a minimum of 45 minutes, depending on traffic.

Thanks
    Reviews
    if the schools in your area really aren't that good then i would go the one 20 mins away 20 mins isnt that far of a drive (mum used to drive me and my sister 15/20 mins to high school). can you get into that school though or is it zoned?

also have you had a look at your local schools? just cause people say they have a bad rep etc doesnt always mean they do- might be worth a look around yourself and make your own mind up

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I wouldnt be that keen on the idea because i have kids going to different schools....and i didnt plan that way back when i started the first one in school.

Is there a bus for them?