ADVERTISEMENT

View Poll Results: best age gap between kids?

Voters
88. You may not vote on this poll
  • 10-11 months

4 4.55%
  • 12-13 months

3 3.41%
  • 14-15 months

3 3.41%
  • 16-17mths

1 1.14%
  • 18-19mths

14 15.91%
  • 20-21mths

5 5.68%
  • 22mths-2yrs

19 21.59%
  • 2.5 yrs

17 19.32%
  • 3 yrs

14 15.91%
  • 4yrs+

8 9.09%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Really it's what works best for your family. I used to want 2 years between my children, but I'm glad I waited. DS will be 3.5 and I couldn't imagine doing it when he was two. He was so full on. He's better now, he can do things for himself and he's been toilet trained for ages now. So I think we'll be sticking to the three year age gap. But if it happens otherwise, I won't mind. We'll cope.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I voted for 18 months which is what i have between ds and dd...i found i was able to have them on the same routine, attend the same playgroup, kindergym classes and now at 3.5 and 2 they really enjoy playing together. There will be 2.5 yrs between dd and new bubs due to me having an ectopic pg after dd hopefully they will still be close.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    my ideal age gap would have been 14months to 20 months but at this rate we will be lucky to have #2 before ds is 3 . It took 2.5yrs to conceive ds and it looks as thought it is going to take just as long this time around.

A Party of Five is offline Winner 2008 � Most Boring Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    How to space your kids is something a lot of people disagree on. Some say close together (this is how I feel), while others think you should wait a few years.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    i have a 4.5 year age gap and i'm pretty happy with it. mr 5 is old enough to understand why i cant give him 100% of my attention anymore, and he loves his brother to bits he is so protective of him and such a great helper... also 2 in nappys would drive me off the deep end... but the things that bother me dont bother others so its definitely a personal preference. the best age gap is what ur mentally and physically ready for!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    For me at least three years, I am really keen for DS to be the only baby while he is still a baby and to be able to just enjoy him alone when he is little.

Also from a selfish point of view I wanted my first to be either toilet trained or close to it before the next baby comes out because the idea of two in nappies horrifies me!

So ideally 3-4 years gap with the eldest out of nappies, no longer having bottles or night waking and ready to start going to a pre prep/kinder type thing a few mornings a week.

If we miss that window of oportunity then we might not TTC at all as there are 6 years years between my brother and I and it's too much.

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    No such thing i reckon. You get what you get, and you cope!!

A few years ago I would have said a three year gap, but actually I've found my 2 year gap that I thought was too close, was actually easier!

But a LOT depends on the individual childrens personalities, and we don't get to pick those.

Thanks
    Reviews
    but are we talking about the best age gap for the children to have a certain type of relationship with each other as they grow up or how hard it is to raise children with a certain age gap??

there are big age gaps between myself and siblings ranging from 8 years between myself and my older sister and 11 years between myself and my little brother i got along with both fine and have fond memories of growing up with them, we still get along just fine.

my husband and his brothers are all just under 2 yrs apart had the same sort of fondness of his childhood but now he only speaks/see his brother (one is deceased) once a year maybe.. his mum still goes on about what a rough gig 3 boys under 5 were lol so close together or apart wont guarentee anything if u ask me.

sorry for the ramble.

Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Whatever you are blessed with For me, as close together as possible.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I want my DS to be in school before I even think about having another one.

He was a full-time job as a newborn (although I'm hoping if I have others they won't be quite as much hard work) and I literally cannot see where I'd fit in time to look after a toddler on top of that.

Child care fees are also killing me as it is. I can't imagine paying double what I am now

There's 4 years between my brother and I. We got along great!