+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    TrulyBlessed is offline Winner 2009 - Member you would most like to meet in Real Life
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I never had it with my first 2 kids. Was 20 & 22 at the time.

I had it done with my 3rd time round as I was offered it. That's where our life hit the biggest bump in the road.

They normally do a b/t a day or 2 before the u/s.

You then get results as a statistic going by the blood results & the measurement of the back of the neck.

Its a test to let you know if you have an increased risk of Trismoy 13,18 & 21 (patu, Edwards & downs respectively) as well as the possibility of Turners syndrome.

In our case my DS2 measurement ended up being 5.9mm anything under 3 they say you have no increased chance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was told this test was only on offer routinely for women 30+, that if i wanted it i would have to pay? Maybe the protocol varies from hospital to hospital. For my age group with no family history it wasn't viewed as important judging by the attitudes of medical people i encountered, and as there was such a low statistical risk for my baby i just took that risk and didn't bother having any extra tests besides the dating scan/morphology and bloods etc.
    (At 21, and same again this time at 24.)

TrulyBlessed is offline Winner 2009 - Member you would most like to meet in Real Life
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mystics View Post
    I was told this test was only on offer routinely for women 30+, that if i wanted it i would have to pay? Maybe the protocol varies from hospital to hospital. For my age group with no family history it wasn't viewed as important judging by the attitudes of medical people i encountered, and as there was such a low statistical risk for my baby i just took that risk and didn't bother having any extra tests besides the dating scan/morphology and bloods etc.
    (At 21, and same again this time at 24.)

If you do not have any risk to the baby medicare will not provide the funding for this scan to be done so pretty much its up to your care provider to say if there is a risk or not.

I think though medicare really should just suck it up & pay for it regardless.

I was not in at least 3 of the categories (to be able to get it free). I'm 25 with no family history & unfortunately I ended up being one of the statistics

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    It's pretty standard. DS is not the only thing it tests for. We wouldn't terminate for DS but we also wanted to be aware of any OTHER potential (and far more serious) problems with the foetus. Also, if there was a high risk for DS we would want to know so that we could read and prepare ourselves as much as possible for it before the birth. I'd rather know whilst in labour, than find out when bub was born. What a shock that would be.

Also, I think it's fun just to see your baby kicking around in there! Any excuse to have a look ...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I actually didn't have it with my first two children as i was 27 and 29 and didn't feel it was necessary - i did have it this time round as i am now over 30 and felt like i would at least like to prepare myself and my family if there was some abnormality detected.

Thanks
    Reviews
    my gp talked about advantages and disadvantages and i am 32 decided we didnt want it, it doesnt say your child has downs or something it says there is an x% chance, so then you may have another test such as amniocentisis which has a small chance of miscarriage, i would reccomend reading up onthe tests and discussinhg with your partner as it should be your choice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Its a routine test and you're not obliged to do it.
    I had the blood test done 2 hours after my scan. Doing those 2 on the same day will make the results much more accurate.
    I just turned 30 the day before and there is no history of DS in my family. So according to basic statistics I was low risk. But I did the test because it was just another opportunity to see my bub again!
    Also the costs of the scan and test varies all over. Every radiology center has different fees and policies