+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default 12 week Down Syndrome Combined Test?

I was told by my midwife that I should have a 12 week down syndrome combined test. It's where they perform an u/s and a blood test to see if the baby has down syndrome. Has 'anyone had this test done at 12 weeks.? I'm 27 and there is no down syndrome in my family. Is this a standard test now?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Im booked it to have the same test, and im only 21 with no history of downs syndrome in my family either, so I do think its a standard test.

But Im sure they cant make you if you don't want to have it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I conceived when I was 27 with no history of DS.

I didn't bother, and my GP encouraged me not to bother, but I understand the test is very popular.

I can't see the point of having it unless you'd terminate if the baby has DS.

And, from what I understand, you just get odds anyway (1:20 or 1:500 or whatever) and then you have to have an amnio if you want more accurate results.

Not my cup of tea.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, just wanted to let you know that it is something that is done routinely. Thats not to say I think it should be. I am 27 and chose not to have it done. I guess it comes down to how much intervention you are ok with during your preg and would you do anything with the infomation anyway. You definitely have the right to say no to any test/procedure you deem unnessisary.

All the best with your choice

Guest Guest
    It is a standard test, but it's optional. I didn't get it because I would terminate, but I would want to know and be prepared. I don't think it only estimates down syndrome but other things too.
    Last edited by Lily of the Nile; 10-11-2009 at 19:51.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I never got offered any testing apart from u/s. So i dont even know what it is.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep it is a standard test. I had it done...would want to know and at least be prepared. You are just given a 1 in whatever chance of having a baby with ds. They also test for a couple of other things too but can't remember what they are called.
    Totally up to you though wether you have it or not.

Nowhere is offline Winner 2007- Most Supportive Of Feeding Other-Than-Breast Award
    Winner 2010- Most Optimistic Poster Award
    Winner 2010- The Most Supportive Member Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    It actualy doesnt only test for down syndrome it also checks for a couple of other syndromes as well edwards is one of the other ones but cant think of the name of the other I know that its one of the OFD syndromes that they say is incompatable with life.

Yes it checks for down syndrome but also others to. I had the testing done and will again, not because I would terminate but becuase I would like to have that time to get my self educated on the syndrome that the baby had as apose to going in to it all blind like with did with DD.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had it and I was only 22 at the time with no family history, I didn't know at the time I had the choice of refusing. Termination isn't an option for us, but i'd still like to have known to prepare myself.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It's not a standard test but it is becoming more common for some reason. It used to only be recommended for women over 35.

I've had it & would not recommend having it done unless you are prepared to either have an amnio or a CVS if you get a high risk result.

The problem is that it only gives you a risk factor, not a result. Therefore if you are strictly against more invasive testing (amnio or CVS) and end up with a high risk then you will spend the rest of your pregnancy worrying yourself silly about the possibilities which could well ruin the rest of your pregnancy (most likely for no reason).