+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default DD too 'friendly' with strangers??

Should I be concerned?

DD is 2.5 years old and is a really friendly little girl. She would talk to strangers anywhere we go....passers by in our street....pretty much anywhere. Yesterday at the doctors waiting area she walked up to a man and showed him toys and started talking to him. She also asked a pregnant lady there if she could sit on her lap and have a book read to her

A few days earlier she did the same at the chn clinic, approached an old man and talked to him and showed him toys.

I dont know when people introduce this 'stranger danger' idea....should I tell her about this yet?

Im really glad that shes not shy...maybe family day care really helped her become a friendly kind little thing.

What do you think?

Thanks
    Reviews
    She must feel so cam and safe around you that's why she feels no harm with different people,

What would she do if you werent there would shes till be so friendly...DD is the same, but if I'm not around she won't talk look at anyone...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiraaa View Post
    She must feel so cam and safe around you that's why she feels no harm with different people,

What would she do if you werent there would shes till be so friendly...DD is the same, but if I'm not around she won't talk look at anyone...
    Im pretty sure my girl is like this with everyone. Shes extremely sociable...at the doctors all the kids were crying and she would pick up a toy, look at them and give them a toy to cheer them up. I was amazed. Its more the talking or approaching strangers that I think about.

She's always very talkative in daycare...friends with everyone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think its great that children can do this, my son does it all the time. However once he gets older I will make sure I tell him this is not on when mummy or daddy isnt around
    I will want to teach him that its fine to chat to strangers (because we all do it once in a while even if its just a quick hello) but he shouldnt do it if one of us arent there with him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I have exactly the same problem as you, except my DD1 is a little older. She's been like this pretty much from birth - very outgoing and gregarious, and loves to chat to people whoever they are.

I thought long and hard about stranger danger, but given that my girls are rarely without me (or their father), I decided just to be extra vigilant, rather than transfer my fears to her just yet.

I will have to teach her about stranger danger very soon (I have already suggested that some people aren't as trustworthy as others, and that not everyone is nice to children) but I'll do it gradually. My goal would be to stress the MOST people are trustworthy, but some aren't, and we must always be careful until we can be sure which it is.

(Bit like "nice dogs" and "naughty dogs" really. Don't want to be bitten while you are trying to figure it out ... and Annika has accepted that message easily enough. )

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by PeppaH View Post
    I think its great that children can do this, my son does it all the time. However once he gets older I will make sure I tell him this is not on when mummy or daddy isnt around
    I will want to teach him that its fine to chat to strangers (because we all do it once in a while even if its just a quick hello) but he shouldnt do it if one of us arent there with him.

Same goes here

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD1 was like this I tried to talk about the whole stranger danger bizzo but to be honest she was just too young. I also agree that when they are so young its just upto us to keep them safe.

Having said that since she was about four years of age she suddenly became a bit more self aware and is not nearly as chatty with strangers as she used to be.

I say enjoy it while it lasts

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My daughter is just like this. I'm not going to shatter any illusions for her yet, though - as if I could. She's only 15 months and just wouldn't understand.

I just make sure I watch her, am cautious and always there with her (if not hovering over her) and make sure that her confidence is not shaken because of my fears. As she gets older, I'll talk to her more and more about what's appropriate and what isn't, and what things are safe and unsafe for her to do.

Such a shame we even need to have these concerns for our kids, but there it is.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Skye is very much like your daughter, she will talk to just about anyone. I will be watching this thread for some ideas.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I wonder about this sometimes.

Jaspers very outgoing... I've had him at the park and had to rush over very very quickly because he's gate crashed a picnic hunting for food

Or if we're at the park and someone walking past smiles at him, he'll follow them.... and wont come back.... and I have to run after him, because he's completely willing to waddle along behind any one who's given him a tiny bit of attention.

But yeah, he's still only 11 months old, so not much I can do except keep an extremely close eye on him.

I do wonder though at what age do I can I really give him a sense of stranger danger, without shattering his beautiful friendly outlook on the world.