+ Reply to Thread
    abiishu is offline embrace your inner birthing goddess
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Birth Choices Rally - Brisbane, Monday 9th Nov

Friends and consumers of homebirth and believers in childbirth choice

As you would have seen from recent posts, there are continuing concerns about how private midwifery and homebirth will continue to be in the future. The reason for the latest concerns about private midwifery being compromised are the moves to make one of the requirements for an eligible midwife to be working with a GP/Ob (not for , but with ) to be able to support homebirth. What this means to me is that women and midwives will be at the whim of 'homebirth friendly' doctors as to whether or not they will be able to access a homebirth, on top of the other barriers which already exist - a midwife being available, midwife available in your area, costs of midwife, and challenges of accessing supportive medical care with testing and transfers.

If you would like your voice heard - particularly if you missed out on the Canberra rally - then please go to:

Kevin Rudd's electoral office
    630 Wynumm Road
    Morningside

Monday 9th November 2009
    10:30am

Women, children, men, families, friends who support choice in birth, including homebirth with a private midwife.

Bring a 'calling card' to drop off, letting our Prime Minister know that women want choice in childbirth and this includes the choice to hire a private midwife to birth at home - insured and funded. The calling card should be an A4 piece of paper (can be larger or smaller) with your name and address, concerns, experience, suggestions and a request for a response from Kevin Rudd about this important issue.

The rally was suggested by Homebirth Australia and is supported by the Home Midwifery Association and Maternity Coalition.

I look forward to seeing many of you next Monday. Brisbane HMA Support Group is cancelled. Please pass this information on to those you may know are not on this list.

It is going to be a great media opportunity as well as a clear message to the powers that be that women are watching and waiting for the best outcome of this legislation, and that is EVERY WOMAN EVERY CHOICE!!

PS PLEASE EMAIL ME IF YOU ARE ATTENDING.
    WE HAVE INFORMED THE POLICE THAT UP TO 400 MAY BE THERE, BUT WE WILL NEED TO UPDATE THEM IF NUMBERS EXCEED THIS.
    CONTACT ME
    39014627; 0402489536; convenor@homebirth.org.au

Also, I thought you may appreciate some ideas about what to write on your calling card.

When a small crowd of 400 gathered in Victoria to drop off calling cards to Nicola Roxon some of the calling cards were:
    • birth stories
    • birth photos
    • kids drawings
    • midwives wrote their statistics comparing their safety with the safety of the system
    Your calling card should have your name and address (so that a written response back from your PM is possible); your concerns about choice, access, safety, cost, equity, availability in birth care; your personal story; a request that this issue is sorted out; a request for a written response from the PM about what is being done to make sure that women can access safe, affordable and insured homebirth without needing to ask permission from doctors to do so.

It can be big, small, hand written, typed, personal, formal, colourful, whatever! As long as it is legible and your contact details are present as is the request for a response from the PM to you about how this is being sorted.

By the way, it may be best to park in the side streets and walk to Kev's office (eg. Burrai St., Agnes St., Rogoona St., Thynne Road). There are a couple of cafes and bakeries on Wynnum Road too. The nearest park is on the corner of Thynne Rd and Rogoona St and not that great. A better park is at the bottom of Burrai St which turns into Pashen Street, Hawthorne Park, if people want to eat, meet up and let kids have a run around AFTER the rally.

If people have questions about the day, please email me convenor@homebirth.org.au

Kirsten Adams
    HMA Convenor

Thanks
    Reviews
    Fantastic! There are rallies on the same day in Sydney, Perth, Bathurst and Werribbee too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Any in Melbourne? I really wanna come support this cause but Werribee is just impossible for me to get to!

Thanks
    Reviews
    No - unfortunately Werribee is it for Melbourne, because that is where Julia Gillard's office is located.

I am going there from Warburton - I'll probably have to leave at like 5 am!

Hope you can make it, I know it is quite a hike.

I've put it on the BH events calendar and posted about it in the Natural Birth section.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Julie Doula View Post
    Fantastic! There are rallies on the same day in Sydney, Perth, Bathurst and Werribbee too.
    Bathurst as in NSW Bathurst?? is there another Bathurst?

Thanks
    Reviews
    yeh I think so - have you seen the facebook group?

Homebirth Rally outside Julia Gillard's Office facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/inbox/readmessage.php?t=1195090168935#/event.php?eid=167172904346&ref=nf

Thanks
    Reviews
    No, I don't do facebook Will check it out though