+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Unhappy HELP! 4 month old now waking every 2hrs!!

My once great sleeper (waking twice @ 12 then 4) is now waking approx every 2 hours!!! Bedtime is a firm 7pm and he goes down easily enough, fed to sleep.
    He sometimes cries out in his sleep (probably from his teething) but is wide awake after 2 hours!!
    We have tried comforting, controlled crying, Daddy soothing and a dummy + patting but the only thing that seems to stop it escalating is the boob!!
    He is purely breastfed, starting to teethe and maybe a growth spurt but any ideas?? We are zombies!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hmm the only thing I can think of is trying a dreamfeed at around 10 (or before his first waking). That might keep him sleeping for another few hours and then you might only have 1 or 2 wakings to deal with. Hard when they are that young because they need to feed overnight. Good luck!! I know how you feel because my DD (quite a bit older than your bub) was feeding every 40 min - 1.5 hrs throughout the night. She had developed a feed to sleep association, so when she came into a lighter sleep cycle, she would look for the boob - couldn't settle herself. Your bub might have a bit of this too if you are feeding him to sleep, but he's too young to stop feeding at night, which is what we eventually had to do with DD. Perhaps you could try putting him in bed awake and settling him by rocking/patting? It would take a long time for the first few times, but they do learn to self settle quite quickly. Good luck!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Id say you could put it down to teething & a growth spurt. My 3 did the same at around 4 months & are doing it again now. Lasts about a week.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a similar problem with my DS. He was waking only 2 times thru the night and then it all got crazy, waking 2 hourly, sometimes less with breast feeding the only way to settle. Then it got even worse with him finally settling but then starting up again when I'd go to put him down. I was about to go insane! Anyway, literally overnight this changed when I put him into a 4 hourly feeding regime and a better sleeping routine during the day. I also introduced a dream feed which I always gave him prior to when I thought he'd wake up. Bedtime was 7 so I would dream feed at 9.30. This is earlier than what ideally it would be I think but it seemed to break the cycle of crying = breast. Basically I followed the routine suggested by Tizzie Hall in her book, but adapted for the dream feed. There was no need for me to use her settling techniques though thank goodness. For us the change was instant. I hope this helps!? Best of luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thankyou one and all! Just to show how unpredictable he is going to be, DS slept 5 hours straight up last night till 1am, fed to almost asleep + self-settled, woke at 3:30 and got teething gel + patted back to sleep (didn't even pick him up!) in 10 mins :-), then up at 5 with a VERY full nappy for a change and feed then till 7am!!!
    Not gonna count my chickens though...

Did try the Tizzie Hall idea and found my DS would wake at 1am with or without a 10:30pm dreamfeed.... might try again in a few days if he starts sleeping a bit better....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DD did the same thing. She was sleeping full night (10 hours plsu) from 4 weeks of age, and then hit 4 months of age and started waking every 1.5 hours. She's nearly 6 months old and she still does it. She'll grow out of it eventually, but it's just hard at the moment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Sounds perfectly normal! Babies change sleep patterns as they reach milestones too (teething,rolling,crawling etc etc) being that bub is breastfed look a bit into your diet also. Goggle ' lactogenic foods' they are foods that help you produce nice fatty milk to keep bubs tummy full. I had a thread about raw peanuts and there lactogenic qualites. Keep up your fluid which helps with good milk too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My bub did this pretty much from four months until about just on 7 months. I was a zombie and I don't know how i got through it.

For me i think it was the change of season (summer to autumn), bub was a bit cold I think as I wasn't sure of what temp the room should be. Plus she wanted LOTS of stimulation (this helped a lot. Swimming, hanging out with other bubs/etc/etc). Also I just think it came with the age.

I really feel for you, I really do. The good news is that bub is now 9.5 months old and sleeping 12 hours at night. Hallelujah!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I still get up to her sometimes though for cuddles, but she goes back to sleep.

There is a light at the tunnel. Meanwhile, here is a hug for you