ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Question Baby Bjorn carriers... are they worth it?????

Hi, i am thinking of purchasing a Baby Bjorn carrier, but want to know are there really worth it.
    Will i get the use out of it.
    I was planning on using it when i duck over to the shops so i don't have to use the pram and when i walk me DD to preschool.
    Are they hard to get bub in and out of, or should i stick to using my pram.
    Any advice or experience appreciated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    It depends.
    My baby hated being it and i found it not the most comfortable - DH thought it was okay but useless if bub hates being in it. It was also difficult to get on - we got almost no use out of it.
    I suggest, if you do buy one, to get one cheap - just incase you or bub don't like it. You could also take bub down to the shop and try one on with bub in store before buying it.

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I loved my Baby Bjorn and used it heaps with my first two. I then sold it on ebay and had to get a new one for the bub that we're about to have! (BTW I bought mine new for about $100 9 years ago and sold it for $45 on ebay 6 years later, so the resale is pretty good too )

Getting bub in and out takes a little practise, but soon became second nature to us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You can get slings that look more comfortable. I'll be getting one of these ones for my next bub.

http://www.sleepshop.com.au/Content_...leepy-Wrap.seo

Thanks
    Reviews
    Absolutely worth it in my opinion. Really easy to use and much easier than getting a whole pram out if you just want to duck into a shop, then you've got your hands free to pay etc. Both of my bubs loved it, especially when they get bigger and can face forward and look around. They often like the walking motion as that's what they've felt during the pregnancy. DD1 was in there until about 1 yr and used to get so excited when she saw it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We have one and DD loved it! We brought ours so we didn't have to lug the pram around when making quick trips to the shops ect. DH wore it more than me and still says it was the best thing we ever brought.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Not worth it.
    They don't last very long, they're not good for the carrier's back and they're terrible for the babies development (they just HANG by their crotch. Ouch)
    Babies outgrow them pretty quickly - or if they don't outgrow them, the bubs get too heavy to carry as the design isn't the most ergonomic for parents.

An Ergo baby carrier is better suited for the long term. Costs about the same, goes from infancy - 18kg (my 3 year old isn't yet 14kg!) you can wear front, back, hip and I can wear my 4 month old or my 3 year old without it bothering my back or feeling heavy or anything like that.

The sleepy-wrap that's been linked also looks pretty sweet I have a hug-a-bub (same as sleepy wrap) which was GREAT for really little days - so 'nuggly!
    Last edited by Seekrit; 20-10-2009 at 09:42.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We didnt like them..uncomfortable.....i found are pram very easy....maybe go and test them out...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I love mine and use it all the time. The issue of it being bad for the baby's body - well as far as i am concerned any sling is not going to be good to carry baby in for hours on end - you just have to be sensible about it really.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    The difference between a sling and a baby bjorn is all about weight distribution and keeping the knees above the bum.

They don't recommend using a jolly jumper for more than 10 minutes at a time for this reason.. because they're just hanging by their crotch and their weight is not being distributed.

I remember arguing the same thing before I read up about the benefits of slings and other carriers.

Besides - who carries their 3 year old around in their baby bjorn?