ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Firstly I agree with the others, a babies size is certainly not really a good enough excuse for a c-section, infact most of the women I know who have had successful vaginal births have had babies 9 pounds or larger.. And seeing as it is your first baby I don't see why it's an issue when they have nothing to say you can't give birth naturally, some people have 12 pounders naturally.

I have had 2 c-sections, 1 was an emergency c-section, not very nice 72 hour failed to progress labour, got to 9cms she was a special care bub. My second however was an elective and for a long time I measured too small with her, then they did an ultrasound and said that if she was going to be bigger then my first (first was 7p7o, second was 8p11o) it would increase my chances of another emergency c-section if i went for a natural birth. I chose an elective to avoid a repeat emergency c-section because i found my first birth very traumatic.
    My elective c-section was beautiful, the surgery went smoothly, no complications other then needing forceps to assist her out of the birth canal. She was breastfeeding in recovery and I was home at 3 days and had no pain after 1 week.

A c-section is a fairly straight forward kind of surgery, it is however surgery and there a many iffs and buts to any sort of surgery. Vaginal births can be risky too I suppose.
    But I don't see how the size of your bub would increase risks for you unless they could prove your pelvis was infact too small, which they thought mine was but even then they couldn't be certain.
    Get a second oppinion, or atleast voice that you'd like to atleast try and give birth naturally!

I was told with my second also that 39 weeks is the earliest they like to do electives UNLESS for health reasons they have to deliver earlier (twins/pre-elclampsia) etc etc..

Anyways all the best, seek as much information as you can and don't always let them talk you into doing something you don't feel is right either.
    Last edited by Liddy; 17-10-2009 at 11:35.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know you are paying this guy thousands, you probably already have, but I'd pick up the phone right now and tell him you've chosen to go through the public system.

He sounds just like my Ob. He was mentioning the possibility of a C-section because apparently my baby was huge. I was a bit worried but assumed I would still birth naturally. I didn't want to offend anyone or look like an idiot for dropping my ob at the last minute. So, I trusted him, and of course it ended in a C-section. I can tell you there was absolutely nothing wrong with my body, but he did what surgeons do intervened so much that I ended up in theatre. Sticking with my obstetrician is the biggest regret of my life. The birth was traumatic, the seperation from my baby was worse, not to mention a failed breastfeeding relationship.

I know somepeople do have great Caesarean experiences, but if you are hoping for a vaginal birth, then please, please, please do not listen to this man. I know you want to trust him because you are paying him and he is the expert, but if you told a midwife what he said to you, she would think it was absurd. Please get a second opinion. Don't let him scare you into thinking your body can't birth your baby.

Honestly, I wish so, so badly that someone had told me to run away, to sack my Ob. You have a perfectly normal pregnancy. Absolutely normal. If you end up with a C-section, you will forever be deemded "high risk" with any future pregnancies. You'll have to fight the system even harder if you want to have a natural birth next time. Why not do all you can to avoid that first scar?

Sorry for going on and on. You may be lucky and have a perfect vaginal birth with this OB. But do you really want to rely on luck??????

Please get a second opinion. Even if it's just over the phone, I'm sure that speaking to midwife would shed a whole new positive light on the situation.

You are the most important one here. Your Ob is working for you. So you can sack him anytime you like!

Best of luck. Your baby sounds like they are just the right size.

Thanks
    Reviews
    well first of all ... i would find it hard to imagine you beind booked in for an elective c-sec at 37 weeks for the reason being 'big baby'???

i was in a similar situation to you, not sure how tall you are but i am about 5ft and my husband is 6ft and at about 20 weeks my OB suggested a c-sec may be a better option, i refused to believe him and was determined to have a VB. I had the dating scan at 36 weeks - and for all the ppl that say they r usually wrong - i rekon my was pretty damn spot on - my bub was measuring about 7pd 3 oz .. and 3 weeks later my bub was born 8pd 14oz (4.04kgs) by c-sec.

I do believe my OB had my best interests when he recommened a c-sec, but still let me be induced at 39 weeks to try for a VB. I ended up with an emergency c-sec but it was the best experience of my life.

I lost a bit of blood - but I wasn't too worried as I fully trusted my OB and all the support staff in theatre. After a 15 hour labour and c-sec at 6am I was up and walking around and showering within 24 hours, i could hold my baby and bond with him.

Some things I wish I had known before I went into labour was - what was involved in a c-sec (i had the midwife tell me as much as possible 5 mins before i went in to theatre), what sort of obstacles i might come across after (i needed a bf pillow and my milk didnt come in until day 4) ... i would try for a natural birth first (as it is your first) if that is what you would like.

and take it as it comes ... c-sec can be fantastic or traumatic experiences and somewhere in the middle. Also, in my exp my OB was paid $200 more for perfoming a c-sec as opposed to attending a VB so i dont think money is always their motivation

Good luck with your decision, and hopefully u and ur OB can work something out that you are happy with.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dump him and run for the hills. As this is your first pregnancy the decsion you make now will impact all your future pregnancies. Hearing this makes me so mad it is just lies, and intimidation of a vulnerable person at a vulnerable time in their life . As for the motivation I would say it is probably more of a convenience issue for this ob. Perhaps he has holidays planned when your due or just doesn't want to get up at 3am for another vaginal birth. I have met women who have birthed 12 pound babies vaginally (not that I am wishing that for you) but it can and has been done. I think the fact that he has brought this up so early in the pregnancy he is just sowing seeds to set you up later for a c/s.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I disagree with being Induced.
    I was told from 36 weeks on at every visit that I was having a big baby. A C/S was never mentioned. I had told my Ob. from the first visit that I wanted a V. Birth.
    I got to 41 weeks & my Ob. booked an Induction for 42 weeks. I went into labour when I was 41 weeks & 2 days. The next three to four days were difficult. Mine was considered a 'failure to progress' & I had a C/S the day before my induction was booked for.
    It wasn't the birth I planned but it was okay.
    My DD was over 10 pounds & I could not get her out. I tried for three very long days & nights. Then gave up & begged to be admitted.
    A C/S might be an option but don't give up yet on pushing bub out yourself.
    C/S's can be okay just like a V. Birth is not always a pleasant experience.

Thanks
    Reviews
    elwoodgal, did you get to fully dilated then ?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by puah View Post
    Dump him and run for the hills. As this is your first pregnancy the decsion you make now will impact all your future pregnancies. Hearing this makes me so mad it is just lies, and intimidation of a vulnerable person at a vulnerable time in their life . As for the motivation I would say it is probably more of a convenience issue for this ob. Perhaps he has holidays planned when your due or just doesn't want to get up at 3am for another vaginal birth. I have met women who have birthed 12 pound babies vaginally (not that I am wishing that for you) but it can and has been done. I think the fact that he has brought this up so early in the pregnancy he is just sowing seeds to set you up later for a c/s.

I know you're after postive stories but I am flabbergasted he could suggest such rubbish.... I've had two very unwanted c-secs and have lost the opportunity to birth vaginally.
    I wouldn't wish my recovery on my worst enemy.
    Please consider seeking other care..

Thanks
    Reviews
    hi, well i just wanted to say ive had two of each birth i personally prefer natural birth (i had my two natural totally drug free) but since having two emergency c/sec i can never have another natural birth tho im going to try and talk the doctors into it when i get pregnant again. i hope you make the right choice for you

Thanks
    Reviews
    puah - To answer your question, I didn't dilate at all. After so much time & contractions getting to every 5 minutes it was exhausting.
    Little to no sleep over 4 nights left me wrecked.
    Because I wasn't dilating, my Ob. felt there was no point trying to Induce me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    oh ok I just thought that because you said you couldn't push her out that you must have got to fully dilated so no pushing but days of contractions, geez so did the docs have any answers about why you didn't dilate at all.