+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Need support & good vibes I think I might have to have a caesarean

Hi guys,

Here's the deal. At 32 weeks I had an ultrasound baby weighed 1450g and was 33cm long. Apparently this falls into the 70% according to my ob. He suggested a couple of weeks ago (I am 34 weeks now) that if the baby is too big he will probably have to induce me at 37 weeks and have a caesarean.
    Since then... I have been stressed out about it.
    This is my first baby and my biggest fears are
    - bleeding to death from the surgery
    - something going wrong with the surgery
    - not coping well with the pain afterwards

So if anyone out there has had a caesarean and it was great please let me know I need to hear good stories and start feeling more positive about this as I am honestly scared to death.

Thanks
    Brooke
    P.S my next ultrasound is booked in for the 4th November my ob said after this one he will make a decision

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If I were you, I would get as far from that Ob as possible, babies' size should not be a reason for a c/s Having a c/s carries loads more risks and long term effects for you, your baby and future babies... please do some research and remember you don't have to agree to anything they want you to do that you don't want to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh hun, you poor thing holding all that fear and stress, lots of hugs for you

I had an emergency caesarian. One problem of mine is that my family has a history of bleeding out after birthing so my OB made sure there was IV on standby but when we realised I would need a caesar, he also explained to me that as far as bleeding out goes, a caesar is a GOOD thing because he would be able to see where the bleed was starting from and nip it in the bud before stitching me up. You have more chance of bleeding out from a natural birth!

I also want to let you know that you will be given plenty of meds for pain relief afterwards.

Also, if you are really worried, you can opt to be knocked out completely for a caesar if you feel it would be too traumatic. It just means you wont see your baby born, or for a couple of hours after its born and your partner will not be allowed in theatre with you (but you are only in theatre for 15 - 20 mins - a caesar is over and done with in 20 minutes!).

BUt if you can find the strength to go through with it awake just remember its only 20 minutes out of your whole life. And if its best for bub, you will find the courage to do it.

Long term recovery is different for every woman, some are fine and back to normal within a few weeks, others it takes months, but even if recovery takes longer than you hope (like it did for me), I promise you will still be able to pick up your baby and Panadol is ample pain relief

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I agree with BTBM, they can't accurately guess how big your baby will be, I've heard of many women being told their baby will be big to have a 6lb baby. I've had 2 9lb babies(4110g) and a 10b baby(4600g) without needing a c-sect!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    ^^ I agree. Are you serious? 70% is only a 3.8kg baby - not huge! Absolutely no reason for a caesar at all unless you're only 4ft tall. Run away, woman, run!!

Go to the public hospital and speak to a midwife. I had a c-section for a cord entangled breech and would not wish it on anyone. Of course, some people prefer it to vag birth but I don't want to go through it again, and it was farily straight forward.

A c-section now will severely impact any future births, especially in the private system. Of course having an emergency one if things go wrong in labour is entirely different, but elective because your baby might be large? I just don't get it. 70% is not that big.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by borntobemummy View Post
    If I were you, I would get as far from that Ob as possible, babies' size should not be a reason for a c/s
    I agree. Estimates of bub's birth size are wrong as often as they're right. Even if bub is larger than average, that doesn't mean you can't successfully birth him. Your OB is not actually able to compare bub's size with your pelvis and say that "bub is too big".

Now that that's out of the way - I did have a c/section and while it wasn't scary, it wasn't traumatic either. Planned c/sections tend to be less traumatic than emergency ones, and you can actually prepare for them with birth plans as you would a vaginal birth.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by borntobemummy View Post
    If I were you, I would get as far from that Ob as possible, babies' size should not be a reason for a c/s Having a c/s carries loads more risks and long term effects for you, your baby and future babies... please do some research and remember you don't have to agree to anything they want you to do that you don't want to.
    Hang on a minute, the OP is after GOOD caesar stories! Sure there are risks, but natural births have various risks about them too. No matter which way you go, there are risks.

If you completely trust your OB, then that is what matters. IF you dont, then maybe get a second opinion.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    firstly hugs i know how daunting it can be... a c/section was on the cards for me from 12 weeks + because she was sitting breech (as most babies are at 12 weeks but he told me then the procedure if she stays that way)
    but keep in mind the percentage of women who grow babies that ARE actually "too big" is small... and i know alot of women who were scared into believing their babies would be MASSIVE only to go on and have 7-8 pound babies which arent HUGE!!
    dont let him scare you... this should be a time of calm and preparation not fear and anxiety!! you dont need that right before you're due.. that will only cause MORE problems not less!! what an insensitive OB!! i too would run away!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    OMG your post makes me want to cry!!!

Please please please do not let your OB induce you or perform a c/sec.

I'm a bit dumbfounded right now so I can't even string a sentence together.

Perhaps you should drop your OB now. Good grief I can;t believe this is being discussed with you. It's so absurd.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a great c/s experience. I had never intended to have a c/s, but at 41 weeks my bub's heartrate kept dropping and so I had an emergency c/s. I almost freaked out when I was given the spinal, but that was the worst bit of the whole experience!
    I recovered fairly quickly and only used panadol and nurofen as pain relief. I think it did make breastfeeding a little difficult to begin with, but I'm still breastfeeding at 5.5 months, so it didn't stop me.
    That being said, I would have preferred to have a VB if I could, and I thought that the measurements that they take on ultrasounds tended to be not all that accurate, so sometimes they think you're going to have a big baby, but you don't end up. I wouldn't have thought it would be a reason to have a c/s.
    Good Luck