+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crazymuma View Post
    Thats almost what I spend a fortnight for 3 of us!!

Can I ask you to be specific in what you have eaten this week. Like what have you had for dinner every day - what do you eat for breakfast/lunch and what do the kids snack on.
    ok so far this week we have had

Sat- Tacos
    Sun- sour soup with rice (it's a filipino dish called Sinagang not sure of spelling tho my dh is Filipino)

Mon- Spaghetti bolognese
    Tues- Potato Bake
    Wed (today) home made pizzas

planned-
    Thurs- Creamy pasta
    Fri- Beef Casserole served with Rice

i dont plan too far in advance i usually have an idea of what we are having at least a day or 2 in advance. but i always buy extras of my main staples every fortnight even if i know i have say at least 6 cans of diced tomatoes in the cupboard i always buy another 4 or so just to keep everything stocked up. rice and pasta i also buy extras of too. I buy things like diced bacon and shredded ham by the kilo then i separate into ziplock bags and freeze them too. I only do this once a month and take out of freezer as needed.

i have spent a fair bit of time finding recipes to switch things up and make things interesting.

My kids are not fussy eaters and they prefer the good old toast and or cereal for breakfast or porridge, snack wise i make muffins and cupcakes and freeze them, the biscuit container is always full of home made cookies, my kids love fruit so usually a piece of fruit like an apple or banana and a yoghurt or cookie.
    Last edited by BlessedWithBlue; 14-10-2009 at 22:43.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'd say roughly $60/week but last week I spent $50 and this week I spent $20 and have to buy a little more fruit, no more than $10 worth though. We don't buy packaged, frozen or rubbish food. Only good food we can make bulk meals from to freeze as left-overs. I shop around, though, and probably spend an extra $10 in fuel going from one place to another. I'm just really broke at the moment (RACQ last week, along with worming my DD who'd allergic to all the wormers at the chemist, and insurances this week and next week) and right now it's more important for me to have enough fuel in the car to get my child to school and myself to work than it is to buy food. We have enough to keep us going, and 3 loaves of bread in the freezer as well as UHT and powdered milk in the pantry and a freezer full of containers of leftovers so we really haven't needed to buy all that much this fn.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My grocery budget is about $100 a week for three adults (me, my husband, 19 year old son, two children, 6 and 4, and three cats).

We're on a property and have a big veggie patch, a small orchard of fruit trees, chooks and often kill our own meat. But, on the flip side, because we are "isolated" (western New South Wales), groceries are a huge amount dearer than in the city.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Theres me (lactating), my DH and my 6month old DS. We spend about $150-$200 all up which includes all the little extras you go back for throughout the week and what i get DH to bring home from work (he manages a supermarket). we also have 2 cats and one small dog). I'm breastfeeding, use cloth nappies and use enjo so don't spend much on chemical cleaners etc.
    I have to try and wheedle it down though cos if we have another baby soonish then ii won't work for 12months afterwards at least and we don't and won't be eligible for any centrelink $$$. i admire those of you who can feed your families for so litle; good effort!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am one of the people who spends $60 a week. Honestly, we are making some compromises on healthy eating to stick to this budget. But it has to be done.

We don't eat mych meat. We eat things like potato and broccoli pie, beans and lentils, quiche, mince pie etc with veggies. We always have sausages and mash once a week - nice and cheap. I always buy brushed potatoes in a nice big 4kg pack, bulk can save us a lot if we buy the right things. You can get cleaning products in bulk for much cheaper than they sell at the super market, and bulk packs of toilettries at chemists are usually a better deal. And I find the green grocer has cheaper (and nicer) fresh fruit and vege. We do splurge on some things. I always buy expensive whole-grain bread, and expensive low fat milk (for me), and expensive quality yoghurt for DS. I bake for DH's snacks.

We still all eat fresh fruit daily, and eat plenty of fresh greens (buying in season will save money), but I would like for us to have more variety and to be able to eat more lean meats and less carbs.

On tough weeks I can make my own bread and yoghurt, but don't do this often because I'm not a sahm at the moment. I also allow a $20 leeway per month so we can get extras if absolutely need to, if we don't DH and I get take out at the end of the month with that money instead.

I agree with TripleTime. We live in Sydney (North Shore) and my parents live in Newcastle. Vegetables (for example) can be twice as much for us than they are for mum.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsElle View Post
    Rachael - how do you go with freezing the ham?? i thought it didnt come out well because of the high water concentration???

Would love if youd share more of your meal ideas. (i have a fussy DH and it drives me nuts trying to find meal ideas, that are cheap yet kinda healthy.)
    I freeze ham, but I usually only cook with it.

mazzie is offline Of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    About $200 a week including dog food, washing powder etc which I buy in bulk.

We have DF, Me, 2yr old and a newborn. Also 2 big dogs a cat and 5 ferrets! I try and get it lower but I can't. I used to spend $300 when I didn't have a budget!

Thanks
    Reviews
    About $150 a week + nappies and formula which I buy monthly.