+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    way out west where the wild things grow...
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default what is your weekly grocery price?

sorry if this post is somewhere else and if i have posted this before

just curious. how many kids do you have? what do you buy? and how much per week? i budget around $200 week, but at the moment am coming in at around $170 give or take, and depending on whether i need nappies, etc.

i have DH who eats heaps , my DS is 4 and my DD is 3 and i feel like they are constantly eating, especially my DD. i also posted something a lil while ago about them wasting food anyhoo, that's a bit off the subject

thanks guys!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We avergae around $70 a week - thats for me, my almost 5 year old and my almost 2 year old. Thats everything we need except nappies as I usually buy them in bulk when they are on special.

If I had more I would spend more though - we do go without alot to get it this low.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If I ignore the budget and just get what I want (and this includes takeout dinner once a week) then I'll spend around $300.

Lately DP has been giving me $150 cash, and anything over that I pay out my own money, and suddenly it seems we can eat for a lot less! LOL

That's to feed a family of:

1 bottomless pit
    1 breastfeeding bottomless pit
    1 baby
    1 cat

We don't buy nappies or formula and we don't buy cleaning products. We do however eat fresh salmon, swordfish, lamb cutlets and all the other expensive stuff, cause I won't scrimp on quality when it comes to meat and fish.

I also have to watch my cholesterol so we don't eat a lot of the fatty cheap packaged stuff.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We can afford to budget $60 for groceries for me (pregnant and lactating), DH and DS (15mo).

I really struggle to come in under this amount, but I feel like we have to because we need to save if we're ever going to move into a bigger place. I don't buy nappies for DS because we use cloth.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ANonnyMouse View Post
    We do however eat fresh salmon, swordfish, lamb cutlets and all the other expensive stuff, cause I won't scrimp on quality when it comes to meat and fish.

I also have to watch my cholesterol so we don't eat a lot of the fatty cheap packaged stuff.
    This is really important. The money you spend on good food for good health is saving you money in the future in lost work, medical bills etc., plus your body is more important than your budget imo.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are a family of five, although bub doesn't eat all that much yet, and df isn't a huge eater either - well not compared to other men I know. But hhe sends us broke with his Ice Break addiction!

Anyway, I spend roughly $50 a week on fruit and veg, plus around $150 for everything else, including nappies for two, cleaning stuff and toiletries. We eat very little meat(not because of the price, we are just not big meat eaters) and will only have chicken once or twice a week. We generally get take away once a week on top of that. If we are going through a rough patch I can easily do a 'budget' menu and get us through the week on MUCH less if need be. I buty very little, if any, in the way of preprepared foods, sweet biccies, juices, etc. Once again, not to save money, but because I just don't lik eto feed my family those foods. Sometimes the bill will go a bit over if I want to have a bake off and I buy extras for that!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    For DF, Me, Trip's & 3 pup dogs. We spend any where from 150 - 200 per week. That doesnt include 3 tins of formula or 150 nappies per week.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would love love love to see what you buy and make for a budget under $70 a wk.. i take my hat off - just remarkable

Thanks
    Reviews
    About $150-$200 a week for food, toiletries, cleaning products, pet food, etc. That's for me DH, DD#1 (4) and DD#2 (2mths) plus one large dog and a cat. This doesn't include formula as I buy that cheaper elsewhere, but sometimes it does include nappies depending on the specials. On top of this, we usually get take-out or go out for dinner once a week as well.

way out west where the wild things grow...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by jembelina View Post
    I buy very little, if any, in the way of preprepared foods, sweet biccies, juices, etc. Once again, not to save money, but because I just don't lik eto feed my family those foods.
    thats like me, and i also buy the 'brand' names of a few products that i know to be free-of certain nasties, which i think puts the bill up a bit more.

but its good to see where everyone is at. though those pp's who are spending $60-70 week there would be no way i could do that!

though you know what, i made meatloaf last night for dinner and i made sandwhiches for my hubby to take to work for lunch today! and i also made curried egg today (we have 8 hens which ='s a HECK of a lot of eggs!!) so i'm being quite the Martha Stewart lately

i think that's what i need to start doing... making more things.