+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My lot Nice to see you around.

And ALWAYS a pleasure to read about the joys that your sister brings to you and your family.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My great Aunty has a mental disability, she is in her mid 50's now but mentally she is around 6, I love her to bits, she is so funny and we used to love going to see her and my Nanna on holidays and what not.
    In primary school we had a girl who had DS she was the most beautiful friendly gorgeous spunk everyone loved her, she was everyones friend anyway after primary school i went to a different high school to her, after quite a few years I changed high schools and it was the one she was in, on my very first day there she recognised me across the play ground and ran over to me and gave me the biggest hug I was so chuffed that she remebered me it was also good to see that she had settled in well to her new high school.

People with DS are gorgeous and funny and have such a good heart, i wish more people in the world would see this

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cassiiii View Post

People with DS are gorgeous and funny and have such a good heart, i wish more people in the world would see this
    Me too!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunar View Post
    People with DS have a slightly lower life expectancy. In earlier times life expectancy was around 30 years old, but now days, with modern medical technology to detect early heart problems and surgical advancements life expectancy is now 70 years old!!
    Wow, that's amazing! My mothers group has a Downs Syndrome child in it (same age as DS), so I'm all for learning what I can about it so that I understand hers and her parents world.

We treat her just the same as the others and she's a gorgeous little girl. And her parents are doing such a great job raising her, so dedicated to taking her to physio and making sure she has the best start in life.

jag5000 is offline "tickled pink"
    Winner 2008 Most helpful member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    My_lot .. that was just lovely! thank you so much for posting it!

one of the saddest moments of my life were when I fostered a beautiful little boy with DS.. not fostering him.. that was the most beautiful experiences of my life. He was a constant joy and so full of life and personality. The saddest moments were when we were out and about, the amount of people that would peer into my pram, look at him and frown, and offer their 'sympathies'!! as in, "oh, I'm so sorry"!! grrr! .. I developed a standard reply of "oh, you are sorry that you are so uninformed? you're sorry that not every child is as wonderful as this little boy?" etc.

I think having him taught ME so much.. he taught me real, unbiased, unrestrained joy!

boysrgr8 is offline living with a constant look of OMG!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have only just seen this thread.
    My son aged 4 has Down Syndrome.

I have to go now but will be back later to read all the posts.

Down Syndrome is one of the most common intellectual disabilities, with time and love you can teach your child anything and it is the same with children with DS. They are people and they fit into the definition of normal! 1 in 800 people are born with DS, it is not racist, sexist or more common in a paticular demographic.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I have had the pleasure of meeting boysrgr8's little man, and i have to say now that having met him twice i don't see him as a child with downsyndrome, i just see him as a regular 4 year old boy who i can't wait to get to know more.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by V8 View Post
    i just see him as a regular 4 year old boy who i can't wait to get to know more.
    Thanks Vee!

Jag, I love your come back! HA HA
    Last edited by boysrgr8; 17-10-2009 at 17:20.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by my_lot View Post
    I link my arms around her and proudly walk out to collect her bags.
    Look world, this is my sister. Im so proud to have a sister with downs syndrome.
    This part grabbed me the most.

Thank you for posting your lovely sisterly love story. I don't have a close relationship with any of my sisters (I have 3) so I am just a tad jealous.

My DS2 loves being DS1s brother, he follows him around everywhere and gets upset when he isn't able to. I hope their relationship can be as rewarding as yours is.
    Again I thank you.