ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Question kindergarten questions

Hi,

I'm looking for some help. I am having a look at some kindergartens next week for DD who will be 3 in Jan but don't really know what I am looking for. I'm kind of lost actually, not having had much to do with kids until DD came alon

What should I be looking for in a kindergarten?
    What kind of programs?
    Is a stand alone kindergarten better than a pre-prep program at a childcare centre?
    What are some of the great things about your kids kindergarten/pre-prep program?

I have done a search on Bubhub for tips but couldn't find anything. If I've missed a thread I'd love to be directed to it.

Thanks so much.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi

C and K Association Kindergartens (google them, there is a website where you can search centre locations) are excellent, but if DD is 3 in January and I see you are in Brisbane, you pretty much have zilch chance of getting in. Wait lists start at birth at a lot of them, buuuut the odd one have different policies (ie. 2 years prior etc). Can't hurt to ring around, though.

You're other option would be a pre-prep group at a childcare centre, I haven't had any experience with those sorry, I hope somebody comes along soon that does.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We did the equivalent of pre-prep at DD's daycare centre and I was pleased with it. One thing to watch our for with those is whether the teacher or room leader is actually a trained kindergarten teacher. Not all are, because it can be difficult for a childcare centre to find a trained teacher willing to work the generally longer days.

DD's daycare centre had 3 year old kindy and 4 year old kindy room. An advantage of it, for us, was that I didn't have to worry about DD being toilet trained on time for a specific start date. Some kindys require children to be trained. Other advantages included that the hours suited my work schedule; the hours were consistent each day (3 & 4 year old sessions at kindergartens in our area were mixed hours, like 9-12 on Tues & Wed and 1-4 on Thurs, which is hard to manage when working).

In terms of what to look for, of the 3 stand-alone kindergartens that I toured, they all seemed fairly equivalent. There were differences in physical size of indoor and outdoor areas, some used computers with learning while others didn't, some provided snacks while others required them to be brought. All had programming focussed on early literacy and numeracy as well as science & social skills, delivered through a mix of informal play and more formalised "lessons" which could be story time, worksheets, and hands-on learning of how things work. Some had more emphasis on one thing than another. Choosing between them really would have come down to my opinion of how each fit with DD's personality and needs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the replies so far.

Chickadee, thanks for the tip about querying the qualifications. I hadn't even thought about that, just assumed if it was a kindergarten program the teacher would be qualified.

I know that waiting lists might be full, but just couldn't bring myself to looking into it earlier - she's my baby! Way to young for school! Anyway, I have a few options around me so will see what comes out of it.

Anymore hints out there on what to look for or what questions to ask?

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bump. Anyone else?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would highly recommend looking at a C&K kindy. My 2 children have attended Wynnum Manly Community Kindergarten and I have been so pleased with their play-based program. C&K offers a fabulous pre-prep year (we have found it better than day-care and we have tried both). Good luck with your search.